MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Fake or Find (APPLIED EPISTEMOLOGY)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Hatty wrote:
A radio programme about the history of northern Britain, The Matter of the North, featured the Ruthwell Cross, a monument of megalithic proportions (17 - 18 ft) that is "unmatched anywhere in Europe" according to scholars.

An academic from St Andrews was interviewed and described it as
the most important surviving piece of sculpture from the Early Middle Ages

One oddity of this massive cross is that, in the words of this academic, "the Anglo-Saxons scarcely built in stone at all".

Another monumental cross is the Gosforth Cross. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gosforth_Cross it is situated in St Mary's church Gosforth in the English county of Cumbria, it is thought to date back to the first half of the 10th century AD. It is more evidence for monumental Anglo Saxon crosses. In addition, the Gosforth cross contains elaborate carvings of what is thought to be scenes of Nordic Mythology, so has been the object of much study.

This is very exciting for AE as, clearly, we will expect to find it situated by an Anglo-Saxon church. But what is this, the church is known for the cross but only worth a look, whilst passing through..... as it has been rebuilt in the 13th and 14th centuries and then again in 1896.

During the 1896 renovation, two Hogback tombstones were found. It is thought these two tombstones were carved by the same guy who carved the cross.... actually they are probably not wrong (!) Anyway the tombstones are an additional reason to visit the Victorian church.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Strangely enough these hogback Viking tombstones in St Mary's Gosforth came up on Facebook yesterday. They looked so uniformly carved, and recent, that I was moved to reply, noting that the church itself didn't exist before the twelfth century

The oldest part of St Mary's has been dated C12th according to Historic England archaeologists. It may be a confusion between 'Viking' and Norman though the carvings were only 'discovered' during the 1896-7 restoration, at the height of the Gothic Revival so beloved of church architects. In the absence of contemporaneous records, these are surely the work of 19th century craftsmen.

The 'what is thought to be scenes of Nordic Mythology' isn't reassuring. It's a bit vague but might be inspired by Scandi sagas which were being touted as early medieval but produced considerably later (17th - 18th, even 19th, century, perhaps to bolster the credentials of the Norwegian dynasty).

I hadn't thought to compare/contrast Gosforth with the Ruthwell Cross but if a reply is posted I'll reference it.
Wile E. Coyote

Hatty wrote:
Strangely enough these hogback Viking tombstones in St Mary's Gosforth came up on Facebook yesterday. They looked so uniformly carved, and recent, that I was moved to reply, noting that the church itself didn't exist before the twelfth century

If I had only followed Hattie on Facebook, I wouldn't have had to waste half an hour working it out myself.

Still, however irritating for me, Hats must be really worried that I am now only a matter of 24 hours or so behind her.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
Hats must be really worried that I am now only a matter of 24 hours or so behind her.

24 hours is a long time in AEL. And I think Hattie can run faster than the old Coyote. The game's afoot!
Wile E. Coyote

Hattie can run faster than the old Coyote.

I have just received my Amazon delivery of purple velvet, jet-propelled, smoking slippers. You lot, all underestimate Coyote's natural cunning.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Jump to:  
Page 8 of 8

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in