MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Importance of Sport (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 262, 263, 264  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Chad wrote:

The fact that England went on to lose that series is irrelevant... it doesn't detract from the enjoyment value of Atherton and Russell's stand.

You have watched Zulu too often.
Wile E. Coyote

Boreades wrote:
What can one say? It's just not cricket!

Or: It's cricket, but not as we know it Chad.

It is the way cricket has developed....because nothing anywhere ever gets worse, unless proven otherwise.

Defensive technique in cricket has improved.

This is the same for most sports.

Modern training methods have led to significant improvements in technique of both attack and defence. Even die hards have recognised that fielding is much better.

Fans have a selective memeory ie you mythologise the heroic last stand stuff (its the same for history) and forget the dreary. Its what keeps you watching.
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

It is the way cricket has developed....because nothing anywhere ever gets worse, unless proven otherwise.

Defensive technique in cricket has improved.

Examples?

(And remember we are talking about individual skill... not team tactics.)
Chad

Give me one current test player who could reproduce that Johannesburg innings.

It is a skill that has disappeared from the game (that fact that you find it boring is irrelevant)... the game as a whole has been diminished.

More entertaining (in the eyes of those with an attention deficiency) does not necessarily equate to better.
Wile E. Coyote

Athers wrote:

"There are several players around now who could play that type of innings. Andrew Strauss could. I'm sure Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid could. So might Mike Hussey. But they probably would not do so. Today they would be going for the win.

"In 1995 we never thought about winning that Test. It never occurred to us that it was feasible. That's changed. Expectations have risen. Sides have proven that you can chase 400-plus successfully."
Chad

That's an old quote (which I fully expected you to dig up) but unfortunately every single one of those mentioned has now retired... so answer the original question.

If you cannot, then you must concede, the skill has been lost and the game thus diminished.
Wile E. Coyote

I was rather looking forward to a bit of variety in the bowling.
Chad

I do believe the umpire has just given you out... leg before (just outside off stump, cutting back) without offering a shot.

Most unlike you old chap.
Wile E. Coyote

Thats most amusing. I was just thinking you had been hit over the pavillion. So was looking for something better.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Chad won the exchange but meanwhile Wiley is winning the war.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

May I remind hon members that this is an AE forum not an old-codgers-remember forum. So here goes with a coupla AE points arising from the current test series. First off, the "A causes B just because A and B happen to be around together" fallacy.

England beat Australia easily at Cardiff so all commentators claimed that England were better than Australia (and then listed all the -- entirely rational -- reasons why that might be). Actually if Joe Root had been caught behind second ball, instead of going on to make 143, Australia would presumably have won easily. Nobody wrote five hundred words on Jammy England.

At Lords (I speak before the the fourth day) Australia will win easily largely because they won the toss. The truth is that the sides are sufficiently close in overall quality to mean that each test, and therefore the series as a whole, will be decided by such accidents. In other words, as usual, the truth is boring. It is much more exciting to talk of Dad's Army versus Young Lions or whatever it is (see above for entirely rational reasons).
Mick Harper
Site Admin

A fascinating post hoc causal-reversal was produced courtesy of the ever-estimable Bob Willis. Every commentator (and I mean every commentator) said that it was vital that groundsman prepare easy-paced wickets to "draw the sting from the Aussie quicks". Cardiff did just that so every commentator (and I mean every commentator) demanded the same again at Lords (and for all the test venues thereafter).

Bob Willis pointed out (only after the Lords debacle but even so his was a lone voice) that when the other side has a better fast attack the last thing you want is a featherbed because only really good fast bowlers will be effective on such a surface and the normal outcome will be a win for the side with the better fast bowlers in a grindathon.

To favour England, groundsmen should produce a green top, thereby favouring all quick bowlers, hence introducing a lottery element, which means that the weaker attack will win out some of the time.
Chad

May I remind hon members that this is an AE forum not an old-codgers-remember forum.

I'm pretty sure I started off with the intention of raising an AE point on the subject... but I'm buggered if I can remember what it was.

It'll come back to me.
Chad

By the way, this 2nd Ashes test demonstrates perfectly (almost as if I had arranged it) why we should lament the passing of Athertonian defensive skills.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

I thought we'd agreed that attack is the best form of defence?
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 262, 263, 264  Next

Jump to:  
Page 5 of 264

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in