MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Origins of....Species (Life Sciences)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Chad wrote:
But then doesn't that sound like the arm came first?

Sure does - - either that or some degree of conscious pre-planning.

Today's Big Idea: The human body is the template anticipated by all other forms of life.

The universe is so rich in possibility when we allow ourselves the freedom of forbidden thought.
DPCrisp

In: Bedfordshire

'Ere, they said on telly that the older a woman is when she has kids, the more likely they are to be overweight. So there must be something terribly unDarwinian going on. Either something about the mother's present state Lamarckishly affects the child... or her ova change as she gets older... or her ova were already lined up best-to-worst (or worst-to-best)... or something.

Someone also said a virus is involved in obesity.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

How does this fit in with the 'fact' that the more male children she has the more likely the later-born are to be homosexual?
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

Well, I can think of a few obese homosexuals: - - Elton John; Nem's mate George; Martin the driver (who works at our place) and the fat bloke out of Jonathan Ross's "House Band".

(I bet the rest of you had a similar list -- but didn't like to post it)!
TelMiles

DPCrisp wrote:
Someone also said a virus is involved in obesity.

I watched a programme about this very thing a couple of weeks back. It was hilarious. They basically said there was a virus, but only that some obese people had it, the funny bit came when some of them were told they didn't have it. One of them said: "I thought I must have it, because I just like food too much." The conclusion was they were just greedy.
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

But then doesn't that sound like the arm came first?

Sure does - - either that or some degree of conscious pre-planning.

Is it something to do with the length of time the embryo is developing in the womb? Humans -- and elephants I think -- have a noticeably long pregnancy compared to other species relative to their size. One of the main difference between humans and animals is the inability of the human infant to stand though it does have the capacity to grasp (at its mother's hair?) more or less at birth.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

'Ere, they said on telly that the older a woman is when she has kids, the more likely they are to be overweight. So there must be something terribly unDarwinian going on.

Human lifespan in general seems to be stretching ever further, including when children are born, due to outside or unDarwinian aids. It's quite likely that a woman who has children in her thirties will have 'slowed down' and her metabolism changed accordingly; it probably isn't "natural" to start having kids at an age when many women in earlier times would no longer be able to conceive or even survive.
Chad

Ish wrote:
...Mrs. Whale, could her offspring grow legs?

Looks like Mrs. Shark's offspring could...and webbed feet!!

Mick Harper
Site Admin

Chad, will you kindly desist from posting up these pix that any child can see you mocked up on your AdobePaintBox or whatever.
Chad

I was going to leave the boots on, but that would have been a dead give-away.

(Incidentally I would like to thank Mrs. Cheong from 'Yummy Take Away' for her assistance in this mock up.)

...just a minute...what's she up to with her finger between its 'legs'?!
Ishmael

Those aren't legs she's fondling.
Chad

On a serious note...a rose by any other name (hemi-penis?) is still a...

Anyway it struck me how much that shark looked like a tadpole whose back legs had just erupted.

The fact that amphibians go through a stage in their development when they look like fish is taken to be self evident proof that amphibians evolved from fish, but it could just as reasonably be taken as proof that the fish is an evolved form of amphibian that exhibits retarded development.

Which brings us back to:

the pattern of gene expression that builds the bones in its fins is much the same as the one that assembles the limb in the embryo of a bird, a mammal, or any other land-living animal. The difference is only that it is switched on for a shorter time in fish.
Ishmael

I have a sense that we are on the touchstone here of a truly earth-shattering truth.
Chad

Let's imagine the Earth devoid of all animal life...except for a puddle of frog spawn. (We will leave the plants where they are for now).

We already know that some of the tadpoles could one day evolve into Applied Epistemologists, but equally, others may have ambitions that lie elsewhere.

They could easily evolve into fish and eventually even into blobs of slime. - - All they need do is switch off a few genes.

Evolution is not necessarily a one way progression from the simple to the complex. An organism could apply simplification or complexification as the situation demands, in order to adapt to a new niche.

Instead of an evolutionary tree, with branches reaching for ever more complex forms, we end up with an evolutionary rat's nest of twists and turns.

Let's imagine the Earth devoid of all animal life...except for a nest of rats....
Mick Harper
Site Admin

You might need to factor in panspermia here. Orthodoxy, as you note, are fixated on going from simple to complex, but if things arrive fully formed from outer space, most of the rules will be up for grabs.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Jump to:  
Page 5 of 17

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in