MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Varsity Blues (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmael

In: Toronto

berniegreen wrote:
The countries which have the most highly developed form of welfarism are also the most secular. What is the explanation?

Because irrational adherence to dogma has proven the only means by which society may resist the lure of every stupid idea to come down the pike.
berniegreen

I don't see that you have proved your point. " Dogma" and "stupid ideas" are value judgements which, if your argument holds true would apply equally well to America as to Europe. Not so?

Or have I misunderstood you. Do you mean that secularism is a stupid idea?

Whatever, this is still not an explanation for why secularism and welfare appear to be hand in hand.

To use Mick's "hair-shirtedness" concept you could argue that secularism goes hand in hand with hair shirts. But then you only have another question - why would that be?
Send private message Send e-mail
berniegreen

Philadelphia Stock Exchange was founded in 1790 and NYSE in 1792. Didn't take them long did it?
nemesis8

In: byrhfunt

A good starting point, is the "progressive" nature of the US tax system compared with the "regressive" nature of "old" Europe.

Hence the mysterious (to Europeans) debate, about whether the US should introduce VAT... http://moneywatch.bnet.com/economic-news/article/vat-will-the-us-adopt-a-value-added-tax/411133/
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Sorry. Won't work.

One of our rules round here, Bernie, is that you are not allowed to diss a new idea until it has become established. Oh, and by the way, when are you going to have your first new idea?
berniegreen

Mick Harper wrote:
Oh, and by the way, when are you going to have your first new idea?

It may be that the allocation of funds to Welfare services in modern secular society is a related displacement activity designed to placate our consciences and also to placate the deity that we no longer actively worship but passively and privately are superstitious of.

It went by you so quickly that you didn't notice. And you didn't notice that N8 "dissed it before it had time to get established", either. But then, Mick, consistency isn't necessarily your strongest point, is it?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

OK, now ask yourself why I didn't notice. Here's a clue

It may be that the allocation of funds to Welfare services in modern secular society is a related displacement activity designed to placate our consciences and also to placate the deity that we no longer actively worship but passively and privately are superstitious of
berniegreen

Most probably because you never actually read it. If not that, then I give up. Tell me.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

When people want to dress up an old idea in new clothes they employ a special language, in our rarified circles it is generally academese. When people have a genuinely new idea they are always anxious to bring it to public attention so they break into normal English. Now, if you translate this passage

It may be that the allocation of funds to Welfare services in modern secular society is a related displacement activity designed to placate our consciences and also to placate the deity that we no longer actively worship but passively and privately are superstitious of

into normal English you will find that the idea suddenly acquires a somewhat tired not to say hackneyed air.
berniegreen

My, my. What a load of old cobblers you do talk, young Michael. That is nothing but my natural speech (formal mode, that is).

And as for its hackneyed quality, I have never read before of the ideas that the secularist/religionist dichotomy underlay the difference between European and American attitudes to welfare or that modern welfarism was in reality displaced religious activity. If you have, please give me a reference that I may follow up. And if I don't get one, I will know that you are just bullshitting, comme d'habitude.

I had always believed that the orthodox view is that modern welfarism has its theoretical foundation in the Beveridge Report, but I am willing to be shown otherwise.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Then why not, just to show me up, translate your passage into normal English?
berniegreen

Then why not just give me the reference?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Better still, here it is in its entirety

nemesis8

In: byrhfunt

Sorry Bernie, if you thought I dissed your idea. The floor is yours. I will withdraw my last post.
Brian Ambrose

I'd like to present my own novel idea that when religion becomes an ineffective force for helping people then the state has to do it instead.

Thank you, thank you.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Jump to:  
Page 19 of 23

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in