MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CABINET OF CURIOSITIES (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 118, 119, 120 ... 178, 179, 180  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

That would be good for the first third, good for the last third, but not so hot for the middle third ('the varnished ages').
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Fossil-calibrated molecular phylogenies reveal that leaf-mining moths radiated millions of years after their host plants
Owen Lewis; David Agassiz.; Ian Simms; Ingvar Svensson; Gerfied Deschka; Michael Harper; Don Davis; Mike Wise; Erik J. Van Nieukerken; Rumen Tomov

One in the eye for Creationists.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I thought of this great joke
"That's a nice watch."
"Yes, it shows whether it's BC or AD."
but I can't think of a suitable place to use it.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

My computer is behaving very oddly. I don't know why the Russians would single me out for one of their anti-NATO electronic counter-warfare programs, possibly it's some sort of Tall Poppy initiative, but since I need my computer running in tip top condition, I've posted this up on medium.com in a bid to get them to move onto some other target

If I were Russian I would still, just about, vote for Putin on the grounds that the alternative -- liberal chaos or Stalinite non-chaos -- is worse.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I like mashed potato. I like Smash because of the convenience. Smash is cheaper than naturally mashed potato. Why aren't I allowed to use Smash more than 'now and again'? Who will rid me of this Calvinist blight? (No Irish Famine pun intended.)
Mick Harper
Site Admin

My computer is running normally again after Microsoft sent me an anti-Russian patch. Question: why is Bill Gates monitoring my AEL posts?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

It only occurred to me yesterday but the two chief women in my life were a Ukrainian (by way of Bradford) and a Pole (from Lviv). That makes me an authority on Ukrainian refugees if not, as they were wont to point out, on women. Not that Slav women are women in any sense we would understand.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I can definitely recommend Microsoft Eleven. It has a feature called Accessibility which is a kind of overall critic and tells you when your document is more or less finished. The current draft of the new book, it tells me, is 'Good to go'. I can only hope they're right. I'm going to run it past Hatty all the same. Even though she's been dead wrong about our previous efforts.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In my family Zoom quiz this week, I knew the answer to one question was 'Abba' but I couldn't think of their name. Should I worry about my declining mental acuity? Not that it would have made a difference to the result if I had remembered. It's not easy belonging to a family whose third cleverest member is The Greatest Brain In The Known Universe.
Grant

According to the medical textbooks the first stage of Alzheimer’s is when you occasionally walk into a room and can’t remember why you went there. Cynics would say that’s so that pharmaceutical companies can charge a fortune to American insurance companies for pills that don’t work.

The second stage of Alzheimer’s is forgetting the name of the Prime Minister or a popular beat combo
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Oddly, at the same meet-up, one of our number recounted going to the kitchen that day for a bottle of fizzy water and returning with a bottle of chilling tap water approximately twice the size, albeit next to it in the fridge. So he returned to the kitchen, put the large bottle back and returned with a small bottle of lemon juice, albeit situated in the fridge on the other side of the desired bottle. On his return to the kitchen, I was third time lucky.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Does the name 'Alice Bailey' mean anything to anybody? I'll tell you why when I've heard from you all. When I haven't, of course.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

There's this bloke on medium.com who keeps making stentorian comments of a very lefty trendy nature, to which I keep (I'm a sucker for getting sucked in) replying with more and more irony, to which he refuses more and more to recognise as ironical. I thought we had reached a nadir until this exchange:

Adebayo Adeniran: The ruling party’s reputation is irreparably damaged from accepting millions from Russian Oligarchs with strong connections to Kremlin.

Mick Harper: Are you referring to the Conservative Party, Adey? They've been going for three hundred and fifty years so congratulations on finally identifying their nemesis. We'll miss them in a nostalgic, where-are-they-now? sort of way.

Adebayo Adeniran: Very well said, sir!

It's not him, it's not me, it's AE.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Following a visit from the plumber I now have to hold things in my left hand in order to fill them with the cold tap or risk a wet sleeve. (Risk? You should feel it. Absolutely sopping and it's fresh on this week.) This is because cold taps are traditionally on the right but this is perverse as we more often use the cold tap than the hot and we are more often right-handed than left.

I appreciate this is a QWERTY situation so there is little point in launching a national campaign. In any case I can retrain with my left hand. I have overcome bigger hurdles.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Ring!

Mick: What?
DHL youth: Parcel for upstairs.
Mick: Strewth.
DHL youth: Yeah, heavy ain't it?
Mick: You've had to carry it.
DHL youth: Tell me about it.
Mick: You wanna get yourself a van.

Quick as a flash. You never lose it.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 118, 119, 120 ... 178, 179, 180  Next

Jump to:  
Page 119 of 180

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in