MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
AE on Telly News (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 137, 138, 139 ... 147, 148, 149  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Your confidence when facing the ineffable, Wiley, always astounds me.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I have started my annual seven-day holiday-with-the-family. For a week I won't be watching television. Maybe Newsnight. I always think this must be how the rest of the world lives. However I have seven days of recordings ready for when I get back to reality.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Your confidence when facing the ineffable, Wiley, always astounds me.

I blame the regime I learnt when I was younger.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

You must have gone to an English public school. Yes, it explains a lot.

I was thinking about this the other day and decided if older boys make your life a misery but you are allowed to make younger boys' lives a misery in your turn, you acquire the assumption that you are all superior to people who did not go through this process. This, alas, means you are superior to everyone else. However:

* nowadays parents insist this does not happen
* the process does not take effect
* there is no longer any point sending your child to an English public school
* they will fall into decrepitude
* we'll now have to pick up the tab for educating gilded youth
* they get you coming, they get you going.
Wile E. Coyote

Mick Harper wrote:
You must have gone to an English public school. Yes, it explains a lot

Wrong.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Your nanny went to a public school.
Wile E. Coyote

Wrong again.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

You are Lord Lucan.
Wile E. Coyote

Correct
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Black and Proud
Explore our Black and Proud collection
#BlackHistoryMonth
Channel 4 email

Wrong demographic, Mr Algorithm. I'm not black and I'm not proud. In fact I'm fed up to the back teeth with Channel 4's addiction to minority programming. I pay my licence fee which is a damn sight more than your average minority Briton probably does. What about a White and Not-fussed collection, Channel 4?

I was going to watch those programmes, as it happens, but now I shan't.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Who Killed Jill Dando? (Netflix)

The policeman leading the investigation still thinks it was Barry George! The three-part Netflix series is disappointing to old hands and failed to make any headway answering its own question -- probably a Serbian hit squad. The reconstruction of the crime and the quietness of the street did lead me to wonder whether the killer was inside the Dando house waiting for her to open the front door but I've never heard such a theory advanced.

Fun fact: I used to clerk occasionally for Mike Mansfield, lead defence counsel in the Barry George trial. But that was in the days when he was a radical barrister not a celebrity QC.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Look out for a bloke called Simon Whistler on YouTube. I've just watched him on (a) the Ukraine summer offensive and (b) khat, the Somali drug. Rarely have I witnessed such good sense delivered so engagingly.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Charles I: Downfall of a King (BBC4)

Three full-length programmes on the events of 1641-2 leading up to the English Civil War promised an unusually detailed treat. Or so I thought. It wasn't so much that it was badly made (so-so, all the talking heads were women but that's usual nowadays) as that it filled me with perplexity. In my view everything was being (mis)orchestrated by (a) William Laud, Archbishop of Canterbury and (b) Thomas Wentworth, First Earl of Strafford. Not just by me, by everyone. Neither was mentioned during these three hours.

I suppose it's possible we've all got it wrong but that would be even more perplexing. Being outrevisioned by the BBC! By women!
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I have discovered a new medium. On YouTube you can listen for free to audiobooks, the most recent being this lunchtime spent with a Mick Herron novella, The List. The only drawbacks are (1) you have to spent an age checking what's just happened when your concentration wavers and (2) there is no easy way of getting back to where you were if you wander off to do something else.

But the most important bit I got from this particular story was listening to the protagonist wandering carefree along the streets of London with a couple of mates (even though they weren't mates and the occasion was by no means carefree). I realised that's what I miss. Not because I'm a recluse but because it simply never happens when you're a 'grown-up'. All human contact is stylised.

PS You should listen to the The Drop first, they're linked novellas. Another new medium.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I can't make head nor tail of the reviews for Bodies on Netflix. Somebody tell me whether I should be diving in or not.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 137, 138, 139 ... 147, 148, 149  Next

Jump to:  
Page 138 of 149

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in