MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CABINET OF CURIOSITIES (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 177, 178, 179  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Surprised this remark too went without further comment. Am I the only one who finds it odd that the supposed Jewish King has an intact penis?
Ishmael

This is a phenomenon that I think deserves further attention from those who make the study of language their profession (and from those of us who pretend to do it better as a hobby).

Since her career began in 1981, Gerrard has been involved in a wide range of projects. She received a Golden Globe Award for the music score to the film Gladiator, on which she collaborated with Hans Zimmer on such songs as "Now We Are Free." With respect to such work she has said, "I sing in the language of the Heart. It's an invented language that I've had for a very long time. I believe I started singing in it when I was about 12. Roughly that time. And I believed that I was speaking to God when I sang in that language."
-- Lisa Gerrard, Wikipedia
An entire language that springs fully formed into the mind of a 12 year old child???

How does this phenomenon relate to the "tongues of angels" spoken of by St. Paul, the speaking of which is still practiced in many evangelical churches?
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

That is also the Caedmon story... an illiterate shepherd boy who suddenly, in an instant, composed 'The Hymn of Caedmon', "in honour of God the Creator". According to Bede, the boy had a dream in which a man asked him to sing 'the beginning of all things' which Caedmon did using words he'd not heard of before.

Would Michelangelo know about circumcision and even if he did, would the Italian public? Biblical scenes seem to have been works of imagination rather than realism...how many artists would have seen the places and peoples they depicted?
Ishmael

If Michelangelo did not have knowledge of the plain text of the Bible--which over and over again emphasizes circumcision as the sign of the covenant of Abraham---I would think this itself rather shocking information. That those who commissioned the statue--the Catholic Church---would have been so ignorant would be seemingly inexplicable.

If the statue really is of King David then I gather....
  • It was fashioned as a purposeful rebuke of the Hebrew covenant. In which case; why? Why make the King of the Jews an uncircumcised male?
  • Or the creators---the Catholic Church---had no knowledge of the Bible. That is; they didn't have one.
On the other hand, it is perhaps most likely that the statue is of modern origin and irreligious in nature. It has had a backstory written for it to inflate its value. In which case the real mystery is, why has no one ever thought to comment on the lack of a circumcision?
Ishmael

Hatty wrote:
That is also the Caedmon story... an illiterate shepherd boy who suddenly, in an instant, composed 'The Hymn of Caedmon', "in honour of God the Creator". According to Bede, the boy had a dream in which a man asked him to sing 'the beginning of all things' which Caedmon did using words he'd not heard of before.

This is an additional step: The spontaneous composition of an entire work in an unknown tongue. That's a step beyond where I am willing to take us at this time, without a contemporary example. But I bet that, if we look, we will find other case of spontaneous language generation beyond the ubiquitous evangelical kind.

If this phenomenon is real, it suggests the possibility that languages don't evolve at all. They spring forth fully-formed and ready for our use.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Ishmael wrote:
Surprised this remark too went without further comment. Am I the only one who finds it odd that the supposed Jewish King has an intact penis?

No you're not the only one.

A Mr. R. F. Sharratt, from Montreal, asked that in The Guardian and got plenty of responses. Is it a Canadian obsession?

http://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,,-82066,00.html
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Ishmael wrote:
On the other hand, it is perhaps most likely that the statue is of modern origin and irreligious in nature. It has had a backstory written for it to inflate its value. In which case the real mystery is, why has no one ever thought to comment on the lack of a circumcision?

It's clearly a pagan inspiration. It could be 'David' was a way of getting past the censors.

Perhaps it is a homage to Hermes carrying a sling instead of a handbag. Hermes was traditionally a youth and a shepherd god; also an athlete and a trickster along with his other attributes.
Ishmael

Boreades wrote:
No you're not the only one.

I found not one answer on that page satisfactory. And all seem to be arguing on the basis of assertion. Not any real knowledge. One group asserts that Michelangelo and his patrons were ignorant of circumcision. Another group claims that Michelangelo was so knowledgeable of the subject he was aware of what circumcision "used to be" in the ancient time of King David---which, it is claimed, was hardly any circumcision at all.

This is clearly an anomaly that does not fit with the received chronology.
Ishmael

I can't believe I've never noticed this peculiar similarity between the name America and the word Mercia. Apparently, Mercia means "border people."

Maybe. Maybe not.

What is the Spanish or French equivalent of Mercia?

The Spanish had a similar region named Murcia, "an autonomous region in southeastern Spain. In the Middle Ages, along with Albacete, it formed an ancient Moorish kingdom."
Boreades

I can't believe people don't notice the bleeding obvious.

Armorica (or Aremorica) = The land in the far west = America

Ishmael

Well... Seriously. That satisfies me. America = Far western land.

But from what language? From where is the word derived?
Ishmael

Hmm...Actually. Reading the Wiki page I'm not so satisfied. Wiki says it means "by the sea." Agree that it's the same word. Wiki says its a "Gaulish" word, which may as well mean nonsense word so far as I'm concerned.

Frankly, if Armorica is where Caesar fought the Picts, I wonder if the whole story isn't a recounting of Cortez among the Aztecs.
Ishmael

Just being crazy here now. Indulge me.

Pliny the Elder, in his Natural History (2.17.105), claims that Armorica was the older name for Aquitania,

So Eleanor of Aquitaine is Eleanor of America. And what Queen is associated with America? Queen Elizabeth.
Ishmael

One in four cancer research papers contain faked data.

No wonder they never find the cure.
Boreades

Only one in four? Things must be improving in gravy-train research land!
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 177, 178, 179  Next

Jump to:  
Page 12 of 179

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in