MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Anglesey (British History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nemesis8

In: byrhfunt

You are still not convinced are you?

But ... then you discover that the other Baby, that other JC had a special birth.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesarean_section
Ishmael

In: Toronto

nemesis8 wrote:
Aha...

I imagine this is so in order to minimize the risk of one male impregnating all the females.
nemesis8

Hatty wrote:
She helps soldiers (that's hunters) cross streams...

Why would soldiers or hunters need a crone to help them across a stream? Being 'helped' sounds like you have to pay up to be allowed to get to the other side.

Why did...

1) William the bastard destroy his ships after crossing the Channel?

2) Caesar cross the Rubicon?

3) Jesus get baptised?
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Disguising tracks/scent by going through water is a hunter's stratagem.

Destroying ships and crossing the Rubicon are popular ways to say not going back, though it's actually about going forwards which is reminiscent of Hermes making his stolen cattle appear to be walking backwards.

When it gets to Jesus the washing-away of traces gets translated into cleansing of 'sin'. Christians don't like animal-smells, too redolent of paganism. Certainly too sexy for comfort.
nemesis8

Cripes you have spotted some elements of N8s Weltanschauung...
Hatty
Site Admin

nemesis8 wrote:
hatty wrote:
Hoarstone is a common popular name for a megalith and allegedly barren women would conceive, with the appropriate offerings, at such places.

....How about ....by watching the moon and the stones we can ensure conception and hopefully birth at certain times of the year.
There must have been better and worse times for an ancient baby to be born. The women folk remain untouched (barren) over "lent" and then away you go.....

Hoarstone. Hoar is frost, Jack Frost in folklore is said to make patterns, more an element of nature than a good or bad character.

The 'correct' meaning of the "partridge in a pear tree" in the Twelve Days of Christmas is "Et aperuit in aperto" = "and she (the Virgin Mary) gave birth in the open" (at least that's what I heard via Radio 4, so it may not be true).

There's more going on than the optimum time to give birth I feel, these are important dates in astronomical/navigational terms. To give birth on the winter solstice you have to conceive at the vernal equinox, Lady Day in the Christian calendar. Lots of fertility symbols associated with March have become part of Easter celebrations, chocolate is the best aphrodisiac of all. The beginning of Spring and mid-winter are tipping points in northern latitudes.
Brian Ambrose

Ishmael wrote:
Hatty wrote:
Women in close proximity e.g. in the workplace are sometimes claimed to fall into a communal menstruation cycle which is probably serendipity rather than scientific fact...

No. It's a fact. But with one caveat.

The women must be sexually active.

It appears that exposure to something the male secretes during sex prompts them to synchronize with others who are also exposed to males.

Check out the book 'Sync' (author is Strogatz, I think) - it mentions several experiments which have been done which confirm the phenomenon, a couple of which show that there is chemical signalling going on. It doesn't say that the women need to be sexually active. The book may be important - it examines the little understood phenomenon of synchronisation, from fireflies to the internet.
Ishmael

Brian Ambrose wrote:
It doesn't say that the women need to be sexually active.

Yes. That wrinkle was only recently discovered.
nemesis8

Hatty wrote:
Jack Frost in folklore is said to make patterns, more an element of nature than a good or bad character.

That's an interesting idea, which I could use, cf Jack O' Kent...

But I can't make the linguistics work.

Maybe Ish has some ideas about the real meaning of Hoar...

Rose wrote:
There's more going on than the optimum time to give birth I feel, these are important dates in astronomical/navigational terms. To give birth on the winter solstice you have to conceive at the vernal equinox, Lady Day in the Christian calendar. ....... The beginning of Spring and mid-winter are tipping points in northern latitudes.

I agree
Hatty
Site Admin

Happy equinox, Herr Nem.
Hatty
Site Admin

Mein Herr. Menhir?
Ishmael

"Mein Herr und mein Gott… " : 'My Lord and my God' (John 20:28 )
nemesis8

As a keen student of Ishmaelian linguistics...

Hoarstone= Horzone= Horizon

One problem.... its not the answer Ish came up with.....
Ishmael

nemesis8 wrote:
As a keen student of Ishmaelian linguistics...

Hoarstone= Horzone= Horizon

One problem.... its not the answer Ish came up with.....

It is, if I'd thought about it.

But you have to be careful with these "zon", "ton", "shin", "shone", etc. words. They are all descendents of a common root: The Zone/Tzar origin word, which means something akin to "that" or "this" or "the".

Zone/Tzar is one of the earliest words of human language and only made sense when combined with the gesture of pointing. The concept embedded in the word, however, is that of "division" -- the separating of the designated item from the rest of the universe. This is the process of "zoning."

So the word "stone" is a form of Zone/Tzar and thus Hoarstone is related to Horizon.

However, the relationship I do not believe to be direct. Both words are formed of descendents from the same primitive word root.
Ishmael

Something I realized the other day...

The words "Shirt" and "skirt" are actually just the same word spelled differently. The "sk" diphthong has been used to represent the same sound for which the "sh" diphthong is also often used.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Jump to:  
Page 12 of 13

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in