MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Anglesey (British History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grant

The first is better as it seems to be more redolent of mysteries being explained or revealed. The second one looks more like one of those novels of the stone age.

Why don't you add a busty woman in stone-age furs? Always works for me
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Thanks for the feedback, most interesting.

The second version seems to be generally approved, "more atmosphere". In the original drawing the grassy knoll was further away from the beach and supposed to have a bit of 'texture'. Some grass at the base would be good, not interfering with the back shadow.
Hatty
Site Admin

I'm told that it isn't the done thing these days to use initials rather than names. Is there an AE reason or is it just that initials are impersonal?

Would people be less willing to read a book if they don't know the author's first name?
N R Scott

In: Middlesbrough

Mick Harper wrote:
Here is the cover to our new book.

I like 'em both.

Hatty wrote:
I'm told that it isn't the done thing these days to use initials rather than names. Is there an AE reason or is it just that initials are impersonal?

Well my 'N R Scott' on here is the first time in my life I've ever used my initials. My friend jokingly suggested it, saying I needed the gravitas - I'm currently an unemployed layabout (and I'm single, and I live at home with my parents - does it show?). So this has been like a little experiment for me, and it does feel quite impersonal. Although, saying that, I think initials are fine for books. I think it generally works quite well in that regard.
Grant

What about JK Rowling?
Ishmael

In: Toronto

I'm going with book cover #2. Though the difference is so slight it took me ten minutes to notice.

I've not disappeared. I've been struggling to complete my first book. Sadly it's not of any significance. It's a rule book supplement for the Dungeons & Dragon's game. Part of a destined-to-fail plan I developed to work my way out of a 9-to-5 job -- a necessary prerequisite to my devoting the time necessary to my other writing projects.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Yes, your error was to be born outside Erp where welfare comes first!
N R Scott

In: Middlesbrough

God Bless Erp!
nemesis8

In: byrhfunt

Hatty wrote:

Sin was a Sumerian moon god.
Moon, whiteness, shin-bones are all thoroughly Megalithic associations and have disreputable-sounding tags. cf. hoar and whore. Hoarstone is a common popular name for a megalith and allegedly barren women would conceive, with the appropriate offerings, at such places.

OK....How about ....by watching the moon and the stones we can ensure conception and hopefully birth at certain times of the year.
There must have been better and worse times for an ancient baby to be born. The women folk remain untouched (barren) over "lent" and then away you go.....

We know that babies should be born on Christmas day. After all The Original Baby was born at Christmas. In The Story all other babies are being exterminated, basically they were conceived at the wrong time ......then there is the star......

Hmm.....
Hatty
Site Admin

nemesis8 wrote:
....by watching the moon and the stones we can ensure conception and hopefully birth at certain times of the year.

This is something that certain species e.g. stoat can do, whether it's a natural or inbred ability isn't clear.

Women in close proximity e.g. in the workplace are sometimes claimed to fall into a communal menstruation cycle which is probably serendipity rather than scientific fact but nonetheless touches on an unexplored area.

There must have been better and worse times for an ancient baby to be born. .....
We know that babies should be born on Christmas day.

In the far north, yes. Best hunting season from mid December to mid March latest, when the sea ice is most extensive.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Hatty wrote:
Women in close proximity e.g. in the workplace are sometimes claimed to fall into a communal menstruation cycle which is probably serendipity rather than scientific fact...

No. It's a fact. But with one caveat.

The women must be sexually active.

It appears that exposure to something the male secretes during sex prompts them to synchronize with others who are also exposed to males.
nemesis8

Hatty wrote:
In the far north, yes. Best hunting season from mid December to mid March latest, when the sea ice is most extensive.

Exactly.
nemesis8

All these stories about collective child abduction/killing/ritual abuse

eg Herod, Pied Piper, Black Annis, Spartan exposures.....right up to Satanic Ritual abuse are explained.....

Here is what good old wiki claims...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infanticide

Didnt happen.....

I repeat

Did Not Happen......
nemesis8

Ishmael wrote:
Hatty wrote:
Women in close proximity e.g. in the workplace are sometimes claimed to fall into a communal menstruation cycle which is probably serendipity rather than scientific fact...

No. It's a fact. But with one caveat.

The women must be sexually active.

It appears that exposure to something the male secretes during sex prompts them to synchronize with others who are also exposed to males.

Aha...
nemesis8

Hatty wrote:
nemesis8 wrote:
....by watching the moon and the stones we can ensure conception and hopefully birth at certain times of the year.

This is something that certain species e.g. stoat can do, whether it's a natural or inbred ability isn't clear.

Deer fertility is related to season, in particular light and temperature

Fire words are related to sex, in humans.

With Deer it's coldness that matters.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Jump to:  
Page 11 of 13

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in