MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Anglesey (British History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Komorikid

In: Gold Coast, Australia

Does it not strike anyone as rather odd that Anglesey was the killing ground not once but twice in history of an elitist group of ascetics (1st Druids; 2nd Gnostic Monks)?

The first in the 1st Century by the Roman Empire and the second in the 7th Century by the -- well look at that -- the Roman Empire.
As for its name it was known to the Romans as Mona Insulis which if I'm not mistaken is literally Ynys Mon in Gaelic, the name is quite definitely NOT a modern rendering.
Komorikid

Anglesey literally means Island of Teachers.

Old Irish - innis = island
Old Irish - mônim = teach, instruct.

In Old Irish Innis Mônim translates to Ynys Môn in Welsh
Pulp History

In: Wales

That still leaves the 'Deceangli' on Anglesey......

Also, there is no 'Mon' in Welsh - it's ONLY meaning is 'Anglesey'..... the closest (in sound when spoken in Welsh) is Mwyn (m-oy-n) which means "ore/mineral" and linked with 'mwyngloddio' which means 'to mine'.

IF Anglesey comes from Irish Gaelic for Isle of teachers, then why is it not so called in Welsh?

teach - (v.) addysgu [addysg-], athrawiaethu [athrawiaeth-], dysgu [dysg-; 3.s. & 2.s.imp. dysg]
{ You "dysgu i" a person. }
apt to teach - (adj.) athrawaidd, athrawus
teacher - (n.) athro [athrawon, m.], dysgawdwr [dysgawdwyr, m.], dysgwr [dysgwyr, m.]
female teacher - (n.) athrawes [-au, f.]
teaching - (n.) dysgeidiaeth [f.]

Parys Mountain was a copper mining site during the Roman period and possibly much earlier. Mon = mwyn = mine?

IF Anglesey comes from Irish Gaelic for Isle of teachers, then why is it not so called in Welsh?

Because its origin is not Welsh.

The Romans merely latinised its existing name to something more agreeable (to them), which they did all over the Empire. The Welsh did likewise.

According to historical sources it WAS the Island of Teachers -- Druids and Monks
Occam's Razor would suggest that Island of Teachers is correct.

And speaking of Manx this from the Manx lexicon:

ynsaghey = instruct, educate, teach, learn, tutor, train, master; training
Ynsaghey = Anglesey
TelMiles

In: London

Thanks Pulp for pointing out the Deceangli being present in this area. To me, this is all quite simple, there were Angles there way before they "should" have been there. Probably Roman Auxilia.
Site Admin

Does it not strike anyone as rather odd that Anglesey was the killing ground not once but twice in history of an elitist group of ascetics (1st Druids; 2nd Gnostic Monks)?

First I've heard of this second occasion. Can you provide details?

Parys Mountain was a copper mining site during the Roman period and possibly much earlier.

Definitely much earlier. There are extensive neolithic excavations. And not just a copper mine -- I believe it has some claims to be the biggest in the world on at least two occasions: the Neolithic and the nineteenth century.

You should all have a look at nearby Orme's Head as well.
TelMiles

If Angle means nothing but fishermen, then maybe that's all the Angles ever were, fishermen; if the English language ain't actually changed over the ages then this is plausible. Then, if the Saxons that migrated here as the warrior elite became known as the Anglo-Saxons, then it means simply that they were English-Saxons, the fishermen Saxons if you will. Anglesey is then island of the fishermen. Makes sense with Britain's position as an island.

If you look in detail at Anglesey on Flash Earth you can actually see that it is in fact 2 islands!! The larger has a place called Penmon at the top right hand side, this translates as 'the head or top of Mon'..... the other smaller island is to the West and is referred to as Holy Island, with its capital as Hollyhead - or Holy Head (Head / Pen).....

Is Ynys Mon separate to the Holy Island of the Druids? Anglesey seems to refer to the two together.

Also.. .. by what forces did these two islands form? Anglesey is cut off from mainland Britain by a long and narrow strait, which is fairly uniform in its width - did this form from a river cutting it off and if so why would it run in BOTH directions? Did the sea water fill an already present straight cutting? I don't see how this formed naturally.... The same goes for the Holy Island cutting from the Anglesey proper, although it is irregular in shape, how did it form? Surely a river only flows from high to ONE low point?

Just had a thought, if the tribe around Anglesey was called the Decleangli, and D is intercgangeable with TH then the word comes very close to being "The Angles". just a thought.

"There is a small island almost adjoining to Anglesey, which is inhabited by hermits, living by manual labor, and serving God. This island is called in welsh Ynys Lenach, or the priests' island, because many bodies of saints are deposited there, and no woman is suffered to enter it." (Girald. Camb. Sir R. C. Hoare's translation, vol. ii. p. 106.)

Small island adjoining ..... Ynys Lenach = Priest's Island (but Welsh for priest is 'Offeiriad')........... can't find any Welsh words close to 'lenach' so don't know how he came to that translation....
Site Admin

Yes, this idea of creating sacred landmasses by letting in the sea has been given a bit of a run-out by the crazier of our brethren (like me for instance). It all started when John Michell and co pointed out that the British mainland is some sacred shape or other (actually not very convincingly but still...). I then pointed out that unless Britain was chosen because it was a sacred shape (unlikely) it follows that Britain was made into a sacred shape.

This is not as impossible as it would at first seem since the one thing the Ancient Brits seemed to be really good at is landscaping in chalk. And digging out the English Channel (especially when you've mastered how to get water to erode the chalk for you) is sort of feasible in a mindboggling sort of way. Anglesey would presumably have been a dry run (no reverse pun intended). And by the way Ireland really is a sacred shape so clearly the St George's Channel is artificial. (Except there's the problem of the snakes.)

Irrespective of all this, I think we can all agree that Salisbury Plain is artificially levelled.
Pulp History

The only article on the net I could find relating to the geology of Anglesey and it's becoming an island stated that it must have been a pre-existing cutting / valley which was later flooded with sea water as the sea levels rose - but it did not come up with an opinion as to how this long straight 'valley' was formed in the first place...... bit of a cop-out really!!

While we're on the subject, isn't there some flattened mountains in Peru? (or somewhere else in the New World?) Well, not flattened, but sheered off.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Jump to:  
Page 3 of 13

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in