MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Anglesey (British History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Hatty wrote:
Shingle: a thin sliver of building material with one end thicker (a wedge?).

A wedge -- or an angle.
nemesis8

In: byrhfunt

Hatty wrote:
It's all about shaping and protecting?

I would say its all about submission and resistance.

Shin...gle...

Sin...gle...

Maybe Sin...Girl?
nemesis8

Living in sin.

Living as single.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

I would say it's all about submission and resistance.

Submission/resistance to authority = tax-evasion for everyman? Once upon a time big stones were a badge of authority.

Sin was a Sumerian moon god.

Moon, whiteness, shin-bones are all thoroughly Megalithic associations and have disreputable-sounding tags. cf. hoar and whore. Hoarstone is a common popular name for a megalith and allegedly barren women would conceive, with the appropriate offerings, at such places.

[There may be a connection between pute, French whore, and puits, a well, an essential commodity and Megalithic pay-point.]
nemesis8

Lets try it. Experimental.

The concept is submission/resistance.

Shingle.

The waves come in (shhh, the sound of water over pebbles) they overcome the smaller stones at first. The tide rolls in. Eventually the larger stones stand firm, the waves retreat (gll) the tide pulls back.

Sumission/resistance.

The larger the stones the more dominant.

Its not very PC is it?

We cut away from the frolicking in the dunes....etc
nemesis8

Still it would explain a few things not least Chesil......and.....
Hatty
Site Admin

Beaches are one of those in-between zones. In Spain traditional i.e. non-urban poetry has the seashore as a place of licence, where a girl meets her lover for example.
nemesis8

Of course countries like rivers are not named.

Ancient countries did not have a single unique name.

Even a modern nation like Canada evetually had to choose from a list of possibilities and then created a national "home" land myth.

Still it's all been very interesting.

It looks like Frank's "Roman" Chesters are now in the firing line.
nemesis8

Hatty wrote:

Sin was a Sumerian moon god.

Moon, whiteness, shin-bones are all thoroughly Megalithic associations

Sin.... Shin....so we get ....... Heelstone......

Hatty wrote:

and have disreputable-sounding tags. cf. hoar and whore. Hoarstone is a common popular name for a megalith and allegedly barren women would conceive, with the appropriate offerings, at such places.

A whore is simply a pre christian compliment. So the tag is the opposite.... (mirror)

I would wager many of the saints you discovered were originally whores.....(fertile)......
nemesis8

Ishmael wrote:
On the other hand, the iconography of the Shepherd's crook might be an interesting angle to pursue.

Maybe an Ankh...?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ankh
Hatty
Site Admin

A whore is simply a pre christian compliment. So the tag is the opposite.... (mirror)

I would wager many of the saints you discovered were originally whores.....(fertile)....

It's an appealing thought but I didn't come across any sainted whores. Their wages of sin were gotten through controlling water access, mining rights and generally exacting tolls.

We had a discussion about sin and Sinai/Sion and signs. Menhirs are generally interpreted as phallic symbols (Avebury seems to be a particularly exciting arena). The most fertile finding was (Christian) imagination.
nemesis8

Hatty wrote:

Their wages of sin were gotten through controlling water access, mining rights and generally exacting tolls. .

Exactement. A fertility goddess will often have more than one attribute.

Viva la Whores.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Here is the cover to our new book. Drawn by Hatty, designed by my nephew. You have to a) say how fantastic it is and b) say which version you prefer.

Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Mick Harper wrote:
Here is the cover to our new book. Drawn by Hatty, designed by my nephew. You have to a) say how fantastic it is and b) say which version you prefer.

My wife who has a background in marketing said that number 1 suggests a mystery to be revealed.... number 2 suggests a drier factual book..... that spells it out.

I guess what she is trying to say.. is that it should complement what's on the back, and in the middle...both are great... it's down to you.
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

The first one looks like a sandcastle on the beach. The second gives a much better impression of depth... I like it very much.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Jump to:  
Page 10 of 13

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in