MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Who Built The Stones? (Megalithic)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

If it's overkill, it's probably not true. It is irrelevant that the actual purpose is not known. See my previous reply to Boreades. Once you formally withdraw your suggestion about it being a pier or similar (remember what I told you about changing your mind) better solutions will start to pullulate through your mind. But not otherwise.
aurelius

Mick Harper wrote:
If it's overkill, it's probably not true. It is irrelevant that the actual purpose is not known. See my previous reply to Boreades. Once you formally withdraw your suggestion about it being a pier or similar (remember what I told you about changing your mind) better solutions will start to pullulate through your mind. But not otherwise.

The most extreme lengths are usually gone to for calendrical/astronomical or religious purposes, as has been suggested for other prehistoric sites or indeed the Giza and other pyramids. Self-preservation/communal preservation being the motives.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

OK, good. How regular is the arc and what is measured by arcs?. Remember again about overkill. If some sticks in the ground will do the job, it probably isn't the job.
aurelius

Mick Harper wrote:
OK, good. How regular is the arc and what is measured by arcs?. Remember again about overkill. If some sticks in the ground will do the job, it probably isn't the job.

Not perfect, but we don't know if some were not disturbed from their original placings, deliberately or by soil creep etc.

Usually measured by arcs in this context: the paths of the Sun and Moon, the ecliptic....
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Too orthodox.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Based on no evidence at all, I'll hypothesis that after the "Irish" megalithics had finished Newgrange they came over here to start a Wiltshire version.

Newgrange was constructed over 5,000 years ago (about 3,200 B.C.) during the Neolithic period, which makes it older than Stonehenge and Great Pyramids of Giza.

http://www.newgrange.com/

They got as far as the arc of stones we've just found. And then changed their minds.

Why?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Good idea but AE doesn't like
And then changed their minds.

it smacks of special pleading. Unless of course you come up with something really good it might be better to assume that what was learned at Newgrange was that it didn't require a whole circle, an arc would do the job.
Boreades

I like the idea of a landing stage, but I wouldn't put it there at Durrington Walls.

The modern Ordnance Survey maps are actually a hindrance to any understanding, as they have too much modern detail and have lost a lot of the suptleties of older versions.

Fortunately there is a very good archive of historic OS maps here:
http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/

Choose (for example) the 1:25,000 series and zoom in on Amesbury. Next to the Abbey it just says "Camp" - that's "Vespasian's Camp". Of course it's called a hillfort even though (as usual) there's bugger all evidence of it being a fort. But as a dock or port on the river it makes a lot more sense, especially with its proximity to The Avenue that curves up to Stonehenge.
Boreades

Mick Harper wrote:
Good idea but AE doesn't like
And then changed their minds.

it smacks of special pleading. Unless of course you come up with something really good it might be better to assume that what was learned at Newgrange was that it didn't require a whole circle, an arc would do the job.

And then stopped
aurelius

Mick Harper wrote:
Too orthodox.

Degrees of a circle?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Go on. Avoid being kryptic.
aurelius

Mick Harper wrote:
Go on. Avoid being kryptic.

Sacred geometry?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Now you're being both orthodox and cryptic. Not that being orthodox is necessarily wrong. it's just if the solution turns out to be as per orthodoxy, then at least six hundred million people will arrive at it. So there's not much point you/us going down that route.
aurelius

Mick Harper wrote:
Now you're being both orthodox and cryptic. Not that being orthodox is necessarily wrong. it's just if the solution turns out to be as per orthodoxy, then at least six hundred million people will arrive at it. So there's not much point you/us going down that route.

I thought the idea was that we tried to arrive at an explanation that was as close to the truth as possible, which may or may not be the same one that orthodoxy has arrived at ?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

No. This 'Pursuit of the Truth' is the ultimate orthodoxy. They all claim to be madly keen on it. We are in Pursuit of the Interesting. Things may be more interesting when they are also true but if you are reading my Unreliable History you'll get the difference.

Put it this way. If you worry about whether you're on the straight and narrow you won't get very far.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Jump to:  
Page 10 of 14

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in