MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Myth-making (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

The problem with "myth" evidence is that the last person to write it down unwittingly introduces contemporary things even when they are trying to be "historical". We sometimes forget that we are much better historians than the Ancients--they did not know that cereals were introduced at such and such a date--so an Ancient scribe of c 2000 BC might introduce references to barley even though faithfully reporting events of 10,000 BC. To him barley and food are coterminous.

That's why historians are so frightfully keen to stick to contemporary documentation. If the "extract from the Zoroastrian flood myth" was written in 10,000 BC we would have to put back the date for cereal cultivation (and the invention of writing). Of course, the fact that historians have now made a fetish of requiring contemporary documentation has led them up several garden paths.

On the question of sacral kingship, the facts are these:

1. Living communally is highly advantageous
2. Living communally requires internal organisation i.e. A tells B and C what to do
3. B and C don't particularly like being told what to do
4. A has to be given the power to make B and C do what they are told
5. This wastes resources
6. All communities therefore seek ways by which B and C will do what they are told which wastes least resources.

Basically, human (political) history is the story of this quest to find the least inefficient way of getting people to do what they otherwise probably wouldn't do. Animal troops do it by having the alpha male and alpha female and a pecking order. Which is OK until numbers get to, say, fifty plus when it gets unrealistic to expect the alpha male to directly challenge every rising young male.

The "tribal" way is use sacral kingship where authority is vested in an individual, generally chosen by a mixture of inheritance and fitness, and then surrounded by taboos and legends and laws. It doesn't matter whether da king is actually the brightest or the strongest, so long as the tribe doesn't have to waste resources getting everyone to do what he says. That system is pretty good and lasted until 1704 when Robert Harley introduced cabinet government based on the popular vote. A British invention that went round the world. If I may introduce a modern myth.
Ray

It's true that myths are susceptible to later modifications. That's one reason why academia ignores them. Another is that they frequently state the unthinkable.

But they don't get altered as much as you might think. In the pre-literary era when everything had to be memorised you had two streams of'historical' lore: the fireside yarn variety, which was subject to frillification, and the formal bardic epics in which every word was sacrosanct.

Notice that the Zoroastrian myth doesn't mention crops - just plants. A later reworking would almost certainly have done exactly as you suggested: it would have replaced the word with crops of some sort. That, and the fact that a square enclosure would have been seen as ridiculously inadequate later on - I mean, how Old Stone Age can you get? - is what convinces me that it is essentially pristine.

I don't push them out until I've looked at them and dozens like them, very carefully.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I do not disagree with your detailed arguments (nor endorse them either) but this "first writing of myths" is vair, vair important.

As you say, writing things down requires a different text than spoken forms in two respects:
1. There is no need to retain all the mnemonic devices of the spoken saga
2. There is no longer scope for bardic extemporising for the benefit of the actual audience in front of you. (I dispute your distinction about being word-perfect.)

This appears to result in the "first writing" being Homeric, ie. enshrining everything for all time, warts and all, archaicisms and all. The poem comes to stand for "all that it good and noble in one's culture". Like Robin Hood standing for Merrie England when English was first written. Probably The Bible has the same function. And Gilgamesh. The Romans knew all about this and got Virgil et al to write the Aenead et al.

The Tudor bastard who forged Beowulf was aware of this also and consciously made it an epic. Even though the Anglo-Saxons themselves used Anglo-Saxon strictly for City Charters, Annals and limericks.

Zoroaster, by the way, is himself a half-mythic figure. It is not at all clear whether he was a real person or just a convenient vehicle available when Persian (?) epics were first written down. Bit like Moses, I expect, for Hebrew.
Ray

There is no longer scope for bardic extemporising for the benefit of the actual audience in front of you. (I dispute your distinction about being word-perfect.)

No, you're thinking of professional story-tellers, which is what western bards ansd minstrels had become. I was talking about the real bards, men like Gurgieff's father, who when G was a boy (in Armenia?) would hold a nightlong session from time to time, singing or reciting the age old epics. G was always expected to stay up through these events so he became familiar enough with them to recognize the epic of Gilgamesh when it was finally translated. His father had sung this and other epics in a language different to the original, but otherwise he was word perfect.

The point is that as the repository of the ancient lore he could no more mess around with the words than the Pope could extemporise with the Latin Mass.

Contrary to your claim, writing gradually freed people from this obligation. It freed the bard from his responsibilities as a living archive.

The earliest written examples probably were what you define as Homeric, but once literature had replaced the oral tradition historical records were ironically, more vulnerable. Writing could be destroyed in wars, fires floods, you name it - and most of it was.

Robin Hood and the Aenead belong to different categories; the Bible is a hotchpotch and as for Beowulf...

It doesn't matter to me if Zoroaster was real or not as the 'tradition' is very much older than he was - or wasn't as the case may be. But as we're on the subject I'm puzzled by your determination to annihilate all the ancients - Moses, Solomon, Mohamed etc. - because if they didn't produce the goods someone else must have done.
DPCrisp

In: Bedfordshire

The problem with "myth" evidence is that the last person to write it down unwittingly introduces contemporary things even when they are trying to be "historical".

I've often wondered why people don't seem to take this in their stride.

Don't fret over Noah's dimensions and logistics... but do consider that the lowest levels of Çatalhöyük, Mehrgar, etc. contain finely crafted jewellery of precious metals and stones.

But they don't get altered as much as you might think.

Yeah, people witter on as though stories are rapidly embellished beyond recognition... when the fact is that if you know the point of the story, you know which elements you can tinker with and which not. The question is whether the culture is present that transmits the meaning with the words.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

On the question of word-perfect epics. I accept that Druids et al were trained memory banks (trained over eighteen years or more, I believe) but we have to ask ourselves why everything that has come down to us is in the form of "entertaining tales" (aside from the genealogies which have the smack of word-perfecticity).

And Gurdjeff's father is the real giveaway. Yes, he told Gurdjeff that what HE was saying was faithfully recounted from aeons ago, but then that's what the priests told Solon too. That's what everyone says when they want to be taken as an authoritative source. I bet Gurdjeff (in part, an old fraud of course) wasn't able to be word perfect in his turn. If nothing else, it offends against any "bard's honour" not to improve on what he was given. Even the medieval scripturalists were not above this.

We're not talking Chinese Whispers or Urban Myths here, but nor are we talking about absolute fidelity. But I accept, as historians do not, that it can be used as historical evidence, so long as it is not taken for historical proof.
Bronwyn

The Tudor bastard who forged Beowulf was aware of this also and consciously made it an epic. Even though the Anglo-Saxons themselves used Anglo-Saxon strictly for City Charters, Annals and limericks.

That would be Tudor bastards, if you please.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Not sure I entirely agree, Bronwyn. While it is true that forging relics was something of an industry in late Medieval Europe, it was still illegal, so you couldn't exactly go round to your local Relics 'R' Us.

The general pattern is for forgers to be singular figures but with an outside man to do the actual offering to the gullible. (Or not so gullible in the case of Churches requiring relics.) However the original Beowulf manuscript is unusual in being both a) a purported five-hundred-year-old artefact and b) a work of art in its own right. So what's the chance of the forger being both an expert manuscript "ager" AND a suberb poet in an acquired language?

Quite high actually. Forgers tend to be mini-geniuses, not specially interested in money, but very interested in being "artists". I can quite see that an antiquarian monk with a knowledge of Anglo-Saxon would rather like to see his work seen as the real thing, as opposed to the many poems-in-Anglo-Saxon we know about from this period. And he would not have had to be a very good manuscript-doctor either since, unbeknownst to him, his manuscript would not be permitted to be examined EVER by later Anglo-Saxonists.

By the by, the poem itself would not have to be very good either. Since Beowulf is the only early poem in the English language (sic) it is given such reverence that everyone genuflects at its brilliance. Actually if you stuck in a pile of bog-standard Norse sagas, nobody would turn a hair. Bit like The Bible. Everyone (even non-Christians) pretends it's a work of genius but you only have to read it to see that it is just Ye Olde Standarde Stuffe.

And, furthermore, it is devilishly difficult to sort gold from dross when dealing with unfamiliar but valuable material. A coupla Aussie jokers turned out some "Aboriginal" poetry one drunken night and for decades afterwards it was taken as being not only "Aboriginal" but of a high artistic order. There's many similar tales (eg Ossian) in the history of "instant epic poetry". It always relies on the punters wanting to believe.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

When did history become a straightforward account of "facts" as we treat it rather than a 'telling of tales' or recounting the deeds of saints? Bede is known as the father of English history although there was a gap of over 200 years after his death before another 'history' was written

Polydore Vergil (or Virgil), for example, is described as "the most influential Tudor historian" (my italics), is that how he was regarded by his contemporaries or by our current standards... (comments like he marks the beginning of modern English historical criticism)? Yet he was scarcely objective, his antagonism towards Wolsey clearly coloured his version of events.
Geoff Gardiner

Although I do not think it matters whether Beowulf was faked or not (it does not seem to have much relevance to English history), Mick's remarks strike more than one chord in me. As I had to fake Greek and Latin poems in my distant youth, translations of Shakespeare et al., I know that though difficult, it is not impossible. And it is much easier if one is writing original stuff, hence the marvellous Latin poem written by Dr. Sam Johnson about the island of Skye, and the poem written by Sir Alexander McDonald about him. No doubt also the winners since 1774 of the Sir William Browne medal for a Latin elegy have made a good job of it.

Faking was rife, surely. Take the Annals of Ulster, first published 1540 but supposed to be contemporary annual entries. One entry for a year in the 6th century, if my memory serves, reads, 'Anglii in Angliam arrivunt.' 'The Angles have arrived in Anglia'. How could the country be called 'Anglia' until after they had settled, assuming they did. Clearly the entry was faked long after the date given. Was it faked for political reasons? Are any of the entries in the Annals of Ulster of any value at all?
Send private message Send e-mail
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Although I do not think it matters whether Beowulf was faked or not (it does not seem to have much relevance to English history),

Possibly not but it has enormous ramifications for the Anglo-Saxon and Eng Lit industries....mmm...maybe on reflection you're right. Who gives a monkeys about them monkeys?

Take the Annals of Ulster, first published 1540 but supposed to be contemporary annual entries. One entry for a year in the 6th century, if my memory serves, reads, 'Anglii in Angliam arrivunt.' 'The Angles have arrived in Anglia'. How could the country be called 'Anglia' until after they had settled, assuming they did. Clearly the entry was faked long after the date given. Was it faked for political reasons? Are any of the entries in the Annals of Ulster of any value at all?

Good grief, class, get on to this immediately!
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The wrong forest, AJ. The point Geoff is making is that an "annal" is supposed to be just that -- a contemporaneous account of the year just gone. Geoff thinks (and I agree with him) that Anglia would not be called that so early. However I think we would both agree that there is just the possibility that the Angles are being reported as having arrived in Anglia some time before and that Anglia really had acquired its name by this date. The Anglo-Saxons did, after all, arrive in Britain in 495 (according to their annals anyway!). However I have to say that this particular 'annal' really does remind one of the coin that had 325BC stamped on it.

I don't know where you get the idea that I disagree with the details of Anglo-Saxon history. I don't think there's much doubt that there really were 'Anglian' kingdoms in Britain in the sixth century (or thereabouts).
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Jesus was born in North America!

Don't believe me?

Just read this little-known document, originally written in the Huron native language, and only translated into English in the 1960s!

Have courage, you who are human beings: Iesus, he is born
The okie spirit who had us as prisoners has fled
Do not listen to it, as it corrupts the spirits of our thoughts
Iesus, he is born

The okie sky people are coming with a message for us
They're coming to say, "Rejoice!
Waria, she has just given birth. Rejoice!"
Jesus, he is born

Three elders of great authority have left for the place of his birth
Tiscient, the star appearing over the horizon leads them there
That star will walk first on the path to guide them
Iesus, he is born

The star stopped not far from where Iesus was born
Having found someone for them, he says,
"Come this way"
Iesus, he is born

As they entered and saw Iesus they praised (made a name) many times, saying
"Hurray, he is good in nature"
They oiled his scalp many times, anointing his head
with the oil of the sunflower
Iesus, he is born

They say, "Let us place his name in a position of honour
Let us act reverently towards him for he comes to show us mercy
It is the will of the spirits that you love us, Iesus,
and we wish that we may be adopted into your family
Iesus, he is born
Wireloop

In: Detroit

Jesus was born in North America!
Don't believe me?

Some of the Hurons were converted to Christianity by the French (early 1600's) and so the 'Christ story' officially became a Huron mythos.

How does it follow that Jesus was born in North America? Or that Jesus was 'born' at all?
Ishmael

In: Toronto

wireloop wrote:
How does it follow that Jesus was born in North America? Or that Jesus was 'born' at all?

It clearly doesn't.

This story I've told you was actually written by Jesuit Missionaries in the 16th century to teach Christianity to the Huron Indians. They wrote it as a song, having first created the written form of the Huron language itself.

But let's imagine instead that this tale of Iesus got inserted as an artifact into Huron culture in...shall we say...the 10th century.

Now imagine yourself a 14th century archivist (there really wasn't anything called an "Historian" in those days). You have just come across a document from a foreign land, written in a foreign language, in which is reported the birth of someone named Iesus born to a woman named Waria. Yes, the tale bears a superficial resemblance to the Jesus story but, obviously, these are two different people born to two different women, in two different countries no less.

As a 14th century archivist, you file the document under "Huron History" and, when you go to write your own synoptic history of the world, you include mention of Jesus, born to his mother Mary in Israel and also Iesus, born to his mother Waria in Ontario.

Or let's say instead that there was no document penned by a Jesuit -- only a story told by a Jesuit (or was it a Mohomadean or a Jew?). The document was not written until much later and, when finally it was, it was written down by a Huron Indian. The aboriginal written version explicitly sets the location in Ontario and fills the gaps in the tale with a great many details not present in the original (the original source having long since been forgotten).

When this document is finally uncovered by you -- a 14th century archivist -- the story is wholly unrecognizable as a duplicate. Desperate for any information about humanity's past, you insert two "Christ" stories into the written record where there truly was, originally, but one.

But wait a moment. It's actually a little more complicated than that. You also have to decide when the Iesus story occurred in Ontario.

Imagine though that Huron history is already full-up with real events that really did happen to the Huron. Where on the timeline do you put the story that didn't happen to the Huron but that the Huron tell you did happen to them (and you have the documents to prove it)?

Well...where do you put it?
Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 13

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in