MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Gildas (British History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Looking at the map, you can get to the River Ock from Uffington (famous for its white horse) on the Ridgeway via a right of way passing between Cowleaze Farm on one side and Oxleaze Farm on the other, so access seems well under control.

The Og is a stream rather than a river but in chalk terrain it's worth knowing where to find a regular water source especially on a main droving route like the Ridgeway.
Hatty
Site Admin

Chad wrote:
Rabbit warrens tend to be situated near prehistoric industrial sites, even in apparently otherwise unsuitable areas like Dartmoor where artificial burrows called 'buries'...

Of course, this is the origin of all those Borough/Bury towns.

So rabbits were not 'introduced by the Romans' as historians claim.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Or "by the Normans" as they claimed before 2000 when they turned up a Roman rabbit warren. Here's a typical piece telling us how 'history' operates:

Many sources state that the rabbit was not an original native of Britain and that they were introduced by the Normans. There are now several reports that this was not so and perhaps re-introduced should be the correct term.

Archaeological excavations at Boxgrove in West Sussex revealed rabbit remains that dated back to the Palaeolithic times which was about 500,000BP. Another recent excavation at Lynford in Norfolk has turned up rabbit bones in a Roman context and are thought to date back 2,000 years to the second Roman invasion. There is a 4th century mosaic in the Corinium Museum in Cirencester that contentiously depicts a rabbit although some say it's a hare - see figure 1.

Because of the few discoveries of rabbit remains it may well be possible that at some time the native rabbit became extinct and was re-introduced by the Normans
http://www.legendarydartmoor.co.uk/rabb_warr.htm
Hatty
Site Admin

On the matter of rivers and their names, the Gediz river in Anatolia used to be called Hermus or Hermos anciently. The connection seems to be metallurgic and commercial, this being the region where coins are thought to have originated. (This part of Turkey is also vulnerable to earthquakes, probably connected to mining.)
nemesis8

In: byrhfunt

Hatty wrote:
Looking at the map, you can get to the River Ock from Uffington (famous for its white horse) on the Ridgeway via a right of way passing between Cowleaze Farm on one side and Oxleaze Farm on the other, so access seems well under control.

wiki wrote:
The River Ock forms most of its northern boundary. The western boundary runs up across Dragon Hill, Whitehorse Hill, Uffington Down and the gallops on Woolstone Down before turning north again as the eastern boundary across Kingston Warren Down and Ram's Hill .

That tells you alot about placenames. Everything you need to know to get around the place. Maybe the fire breathing dragon equals a beacon?
Hatty
Site Admin

We take the view that fire breathing dragons are foundries. Uffington's Dragon Hill is on the Michael Line (more or less coinciding with the Ridgeway from Avebury to Goring). It's just down the track from Wayland's Smithy complete with legend about silver sixpences and horses being shod.

Smiths need water and the Ock is the nearest water source. Further east is Smeeth's i.e. smith's Ridge at the entrance to Ogbourne St. George where the Ridgeway comes down at the crossing point of the Og.
nemesis8

Ah.... and what do you have for beacons?
nemesis8

You had me convinced until I looked at it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dragon_Hill.jpg
Mick Harper
Site Admin

From your pic, it is clearly man-made and yet no orthodox authority even speculates about the possibility of this, as far as I know.
N R Scott

In: Middlesbrough

I've been reading some of the Megalithic stuff on here. It's fascinating. I've also read through An Introduction to Palaeogeography. This SLOT theory you've came up with is incredible. I can see an episode of Horizon being dedicated to it or something.

I've just finished reading THOBR as well. That's excellent too. I don't know how you come up with so much original stuff. It's impressive.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Ta very much. I do need extravagant praise from time to time (and never get it from the blasted crew gathered here, sob). I did once send a DVD of SCUM (a space theory) to Horizon and got a very nice rejection. In this business getting a rejection is accounted a success. "No answer was the stern reply" is the norm.

SLOT is intended to be the second book in the tryptich ripping up the Earth and Space Sciences of which the present The Hydrological Cycle Is Wrong is the first and SCUM is the third.

PS How did you acquire THOBR? I ask for technical reasons to do with me and my publisher.
N R Scott

In: Middlesbrough

From Amazon - not the rainforest.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Mick Harper wrote:
I did once send a DVD of SCUM (a space theory) to Horizon and got a very nice rejection.

WE did?

I never heard.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Mick Harper wrote:
SLOT is intended to be the second book in the tryptich ripping up the Earth and Space Sciences of which the present The Hydrological Cycle Is Wrong is the first and SCUM is the third.

OGRE, SLOT & SCUM

Those acronyms have got to feature on the covers.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

N R Scott wrote:
I've been reading some of the Megalithic stuff on here. It's fascinating. I've also read through An Introduction to Palaeogeography. This SLOT theory you've came up with is incredible. I can see an episode of Horizon being dedicated to it or something.

I've just finished reading THOBR as well. That's excellent too. I don't know how you come up with so much original stuff. It's impressive.

Bad news for Mikhail.

A true genius is never recognised during his own life time.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Jump to:  
Page 7 of 10

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in