MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Gildas (British History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N R Scott

In: Middlesbrough

On the topic of Middlesbrough, Mick, I was wondering, do you have any opinions/theories concerning Roseberry Topping?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Assuming this was not the northern version of butterscotch Angel Delight I discovered that Roseberry Topping was in fact a local hill. Assuming also that, apart possibly from our very own Tyke-a-like Chad, nobody here would have heard of this feature, let us take it as an Official AEL Challenge to make something of it. Here is my initial contribution:

At 1,049 feet (320 m), Roseberry Topping was traditionally thought to be the highest hill on the North York Moors;[2] however, the nearby Urra Moor is higher, at 1,490 feet (450 m). .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roseberry_Topping

This is rather odd. We have discovered that local traditons about the "highest point" are quite important megalithically speaking and generally quite accurate. It is then very unusual for there to be to be somewhere fairly close by that is actually higher by a whopping 500 feet. I assume that the actual difference being the integer-friendly 1049 and 1490 really is a coincidence. A possible clue appears further down the Wiki report

Until 1914, the summit resembled a sugarloaf until a geological fault and possibly nearby alum and ironstone mining caused its collapse

But this only deepens the mystery since if human activity can have this degree of physical impact within just the last hundred years, the entire historical and pre-historical upland countryside has to be considered suspect (eg hillforts).
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

The North York moors are scarred, literally. Why anyone would think these place-names are Viking is a mystery.

Dartmoor tors are another give-away, rock-dumps in the most heavily mined area of southern England.
N R Scott

It's said that there was a spring at the top before the collapse. There's a local legend that King Oswald of Northumberland's son, Prince Oswald, was drowned in it.

I also recall reading about an American archaeologist, called Alfred Vincent Kidder, who theorised that a 3000 year old pyramid lay beneath Roseberry Topping. At the time this piqued my interest, but I couldn't find his original writings on the subject.
Hatty
Site Admin

Sounds plausible (the spring, not the pyramid). There was a programme the other evening pointing out where water had been channelled to flush out debris from a Roman mine. The Victorians used the same technique. Dartmoor still has leats (straight water channels).
N R Scott

I've been reading about the local Roseberry Topping legends.

Now this is pretty much the local story regarding King Oswald and his son;

The legend tells how, for many years, king Oswald and his queen had longed for an heir to the kingdom, but to no avail. Eventually after much prayer and consulting the best wisefolk in the country, the queen at last gave birth to a son they called Oswy. The king was overjoyed, but his seers soon warned him that they had looked into the boys future and foretold that Oswy would drown on his 2nd birthday.

The king and queen made plans to prevent this fate, and so when the birthday neared, the queen took her child to the highest hill in the region, so as to be far away from any rivers, lakes and streams. They sheltered in a hermits cave on the summit of Odinsberg and when Oswy's birthday arrived all appeared to be well, but the fates would not be cheated, and so it happened that in the heat of the day, as her child played, the queen fell asleep and the boy wandered off around the hill top.

When the queen awoke she was distraught to find her son missing, she frantically searched for the boy but it was too late, the prophecy had been fulfilled and she found the body of her child drowned in the waters of the Odinsberg spring. The queen died from her grief soon after and so the king buried his queen and son together at a place that was then known as Oswy-by his-mother-lay, and today as Osmotherley.

However, when you look at the historical record, Bede, etc, it states that King Oswald of Northumbria was actually the brother of King Oswy, and that Oswy reigned after the death of Oswald. Interestingly, King Oswy was the king that presided over the Synod of Whitby.

No doubt most historians would say that Bede's version is correct and the other version is a garbled folk memory of the real event. It all seems a little odd to me. Is there an Applied Epistemology view on this sort of thing?
N R Scott

And one more thing on this ( - sorry to keep polluting this site with my petty, northern trifles). I was wondering about the name 'Roseberry.' The general consensus is that it originally meant Odin's Rock, and that it reached Roseberry via 'Othensberg' and various other names and spellings.

However, I can't help but wonder if Roseberry is simply a more modern rendering of Oswy. I'm probably way off the mark here - in fact, I'm not even sure I'm pronouncing Oswy correctly, but I thought I might as well throw it up just in case.
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

Scotty wrote:
No doubt most historians would say that Bede's version is correct and the other version is a garbled folk memory of the real event. It all seems a little odd to me. Is there an Applied Epistemology view on this sort of thing?

If you allow for the fact that both accounts might just possibly be correct (in the absence of other evidence) then the simplest explanation is that the child was named after his uncle. The king had no more sons (after the death of his wife and child) and his brother succeeded him to the throne.

There is no contradiction between the two accounts, so that alone would not be justification to suspect the validity of either.
Chad

( - sorry to keep polluting this site with my petty, northern trifles).

No need to apologise for bringing a little taste of the North (my mother makes wonderful trifles, by the way) into the sad lives of those poor unfortunates south of the M62.

(Why is this site running so bloody slowly recently?)
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Yes, there's no need to point out that 'northern' and 'trifles' are synonyms. But to business. Here is my take (from the principles enshrined in The Megalithic Empire rather than AE per se) using your extract.

The legend tells how, for many years, king Oswald and his queen had longed for an heir to the kingdom, but to no avail.

Orthodoxy tends to divide the written record of the Anglo-Saxon period into 'history" ie whatever fits their theories and 'fiction' ie whatever doesn't. Our own view is that the former is supect and the latter is a semi-reliable indicator of contemporaneous structures. Anglo-Saxon royalty regularly turns up in both halves. [I will provide an extract from the book regarding St Rombald to illustrate the matter.]

The king and queen made plans to prevent this fate [the drowing of their son], and so when the birthday neared, the queen took her child to the highest hill in the region, so as to be far away from any rivers, lakes and streams.

'The highest hill in the region' is a constant theme of Mergalithia. Presumably for navigational purposes.

They sheltered in a hermits cave

Hermits, ie the servants of Hermes, operate the Megalithic System. Hermits have to live out in the boonies in order to guide travellers.

on the summit of Odinsberg

Odin is a Megalithic personage with (legendarily) a raven on his shoulder cf pirates (ie pilots) with parrots on their shoulders. Various birds were used on sea voyages for a number of purposes.

When the queen awoke she was distraught to find her son missing, she frantically searched for the boy but it was too late, the prophecy had been fulfilled and she found the body of her child drowned in the waters of the Odinsberg spring.

So, not very distant from streams then. Water sources (for the drovers' beasts) in unlikely places are always an important business for the Megalithics.

The queen died from her grief soon after and so the king buried his queen and son together at a place that was then known as Oswy-by his-mother-lay, and today as Osmotherley.

It is always a matter of debate whether the legend produces the name or the name produces the legend.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Here is our treatment of another member of Northumbrian royalty. I won't put it in blue, to make it more readable. Emboldened bits have particularly Megalithic significance.

-------------------

A similarly obscure saint with a Continental reach is St Rombald whose name is connected to holy wells at Astrop in Northamptonshire and another one nearby at Brackley. His Christian legend is, even by Dark Age standards, a marvellous account of a seventh-century infant prodigy, born into the Northumbrian royal family, who lived for only three days but still managed to insist on being baptised with water from a hollow stone 'too heavy to move' aka a megalith.

The mother of this miraculous infant was a Mercian princess called Cuneburga, the patron saint of Castor, a major Roman industrial site adjacent to Ermine Street. Her legend claims that when running away from ruffians she spilled the contents of her basket and created a path with flowers springing up where she trod whilst thorn bushes grew behind to entangle her pursuers, a motif also used for Olwen and her path of trefoils in her role as the Welsh moon goddess. St. Cuneburga's church with its imposing tower is said to be the equal of any cathedral. [ footnote: Cuneburga refers to 'coney burrow', coney meaning rabbit. Rabbit warrens tend to be situated near prehistoric industrial sites, even in apparently otherwise unsuitable areas like Dartmoor where artificial burrows called 'buries' or pillow mounds had to be artificially constructed.]

Rombald's three-day life was deemed sufficiently important to merit a complete Anglo-Saxon biography and to have a church dedicated to him at Romaldkirk village, north of Bowes Castle on the river Tees in County Durham. Not any church either since St. Romald's church was known as 'the Cathedral of the Dales', a very imposing building for a small village.

A St. Rainbold, i.e. Rombold, was the first recorded priest at Avebury and there is a St. Rombold's church in Buckingham (where he is supposed to have died, and where repentant Lollards made offerings). Also at Pentridge in Dorset, next to Cranbourne Chase which just happens to be the longest cursus still extant in Britain, extending over four miles from Pentridge to Martin Down overlooking the Nine Stones, a stone circle on a ley line to Avebury from where (according to John Michell) it continues to Stonehenge.

Rombald's Moor is a level plateau between Bradford and Leeds in Yorkshire and seems to be the northern equivalent of Salisbury Plain judging by its flatness and the unusual number of cup-and-ring stones located there. This Rombald was a giant fleeing from his angry wife who dropped stones held in her skirt, which sounds familiar. Rombald's influence extends all the way south to the Channel crossing at Folkestone (next door to Radegund at Dover) where he was the patron saint of the local fishermen. His birthday unsurprisingly is the 1st November, Samhain.
Chad

Rabbit warrens tend to be situated near prehistoric industrial sites, even in apparently otherwise unsuitable areas like Dartmoor where artificial burrows called 'buries'...

Of course, this is the origin of all those Borough/Bury towns.
Hatty
Site Admin

Os = ox/ oss. The geographic spread of Os- places like Osbourne (East Cowes!), Osterley, Oswestry, several Oxtons, suggests animals-on-the-hoof in general.

Oswestry, a famous 'Iron Age hillfort', has an Oswald legend attached (the name means 'Oswald's tree', allegedly) but more importantly it's a stop-over on the English-Welsh marches. Oswald seems to have been an immensely popular name until the end of the Middle Ages.

Osmotherley according to Wiki isn't named for King Oswald but a villager called Oswald or Osmund (there's a convenient get-out). Could be that Osmotherley, in the Hambleton Hills, refers to an ox-mound i.e. cattle enclosure in a clearing (hill fort), though 'mother' might be mutton.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

What's brown, steams and comes out of Cowes backwards?!
nemesis8

In: byrhfunt

Hatty wrote:
Os = ox/ oss. The geographic spread of Os- places like Osbourne (East Cowes!), Osterley, Oswestry, several Oxtons, suggests animals-on-the-hoof in general. .

Rivers= Ock (Oxon). Og (Wilts). near ogbourne. (which will be the enclosure)

More evidence that place names and river names are of the same age.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Jump to:  
Page 6 of 10

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in