MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Did The Dark Ages Exist? (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Amazing!!! Brilliant work!
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

As you know, an AE precept is that orthodoxy always unwittingly provides us with all the information we'll ever need. Here is someone on ANSAXnet posting up the blurb from his new book

A Companion to the Venerable Bede
Bede stands an eminence on the landscape of the eighth century; there is no other writer comparable. Gregory of Tours in the sixth century and Isidore of Seville and Aldhelm in the seventh century preceded him, and Alcuin of Tours followed at the end of the eighth century, but as a scholar Bede is supreme. In all Europe no contemporary matches his talents and influence. How do we account for Bede's erudition in a remote region of the North with its limited resources? How is it that he is elevated so quickly to the high status of Father of the Church, the only monk to be granted that title, on a plane with Ambrose, Jerome, Augustine, and Gregory?
(The Boydell Press, 2009), p. 1.

Apart from 'celebrating' the sheer anomalous nature of Bede, he brackets this oddity with the equally odd Gregory of Tours and Isidore of Seville. In other words we have
a) a single anomalous source for England (Bede, the Anglo-Saxon)
b) a single anomalous source for France (Gregory, the Frank)
c) a single anomalous source for Spain (Isidore, the Goth).
It's almost as though they knew the future....
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Grant wrote:

Just when does real history begin? When can we start to trust the traditional narrative?

Hats wrote:

Two causes for alarm in a single sentence -- just one surviving manuscript and unearthed by, of all people, Leland "the father of English local history and bibliography".

Some time after 1533.
Wile E. Coyote

The Vikings get the blame for lots of dark age destruction. Still this can't explain away everything. Look at this from wiki.

Because parchment prepared from animal hides is far more durable than paper or papyrus, most palimpsests known to modern scholars are parchment, which rose in popularity in Western Europe after the 6th century. Where papyrus was in common use, reuse of writing media was less common because papyrus was cheaper and more expendable than costly parchment. Some papyrus palimpsests do survive, and Romans referred to this custom of washing papyrus.[note 1]

The writing was washed from parchment or vellum using milk and oat bran. With the passing of time, the faint remains of the former writing would reappear enough so that scholars can discern the text (called the scriptio inferior, the "underwriting") and decipher it. In the later Middle Ages the surface of the vellum was usually scraped away with powdered pumice, irretrievably losing the writing, hence the most valuable palimpsests are those that were overwritten in the early Middle Ages.

Pumice.That would explain it.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This is covered in same detail in Meetings With Remarkable Forgeries and essentially comes down to this

Can I have some new parchment?
Have you forgotten where the stationery cupboard is?
It's run out of this grade.
Have you forgotten where the leathersellers are?
I don't want to go out in the rain.
Oh, all right then, go and destroy something from the library by ripping out the pages and then going at it with an unbelievable number of unguents to get something not quite so good.

I am intrigued however by "Romans referred to this custom of washing papyrus.[note 1]". I demand satisfaction before revealing what palimpsests really are.
Wile E. Coyote

Some argue that the Romans could sponge off writing from papyrus, but there again apparently the sponging didnt work completely, creating palimpsests which were identifiable.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I want to know who is giving you this information. Please.
Wile E. Coyote

That was Mr Google. Collected Biblical writings of T C Skeat.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Phew! I thought it was someone important. I'll leave him for Hatty to drag in.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

The British Library found it has a bilingual papyrus on its shelves.

A newly-identified papyrus in Latin and Arabic has recently been discovered in the British Library’s papyrus collections. In the course of the Library’s collaboration with a Naples-based research project, Dario Internullo has identified an unique document: a private letter from 7th- to 9th-century Egypt written in two languages.

The letter writer used the Roman alphabet throughout though halfway he switched from Latin to Arabic.

Documents written in an alphabet different from the one that is commonly used for that language are not uncommon, but this particular combination — Arabic written in the Roman alphabet — is rather unusual. This document has an immense significance as it provides one of the earliest continuous texts to register Arabic consonants and vowels, enlarging the corpus of sources for early Arabic. The language of the papyrus is Middle Arabic transcribed on the basis of phonetic principles and free from the influence of Classical Arabic orthography.

The papyrus was acquired 'after 1956' from Michaelides, a Greek antiques dealer (1900-73). Where was it found? Where did Michaelides get his large collection from?

Origin: Unknown. Provenance: Probably Egypt.
Formerly part of the collection of George Anastase Michaelidis (b. 1900, d. 1973); acquired with other Michaelidis material together with Papyri 3100-3132 and transferred from the Department of Oriental Manuscripts and Printed Books in May 1979.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Anyone ever notice (before me, about three minutes ago) the similarities between the story of the Alamo and the tale of the 300 Persians against Xerxes?

Mick Harper
Site Admin

No racoons in the Old World for coonskin caps rules this out.
N R Scott

In: Middlesbrough

Are you guys aware of the 'Ancient Rome Never Existed' thing that's currently blowing up online?

Basically to give an overview: A woman called Donna Dickens has been making TikTok videos stating ancient Rome was fake (amongst other things); which in turn has sparked a backlash from actual historians.

Ctruth has been covering it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkNyezQvDb0
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Dare I even watch with my manifold duties? I hate being outflanked by the even-crazier crazies. Oh. well, just keep truckin', I suppose. Will join in when I've watched.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88

Jump to:  
Page 88 of 88

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in