MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Did The Dark Ages Exist? (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 86, 87, 88  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

And here are some of the successors of 'Drake' at work

How long these changes need to be tracked is still apparently of interest to astronomers. That well-known Megalithic, Robert Hooke, used the carefully sited Monument, designed by that other well-known Megalithic, Christopher Wren, to measure the transit of Draconis and then abandoned the Monument forthwith as an astronomical viewing platform, whereupon it reverted to its official role as tourist attraction and commemoration of the Great Fire of London.
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

Ishmael wrote:
So who was Saint Francis Drake? Or more accurately, Saint Francis Drac?

Saint Francis Xavier?

He was sailing all over the other side of the Pacific.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

San Francisco is not named for Sir Francis Drake.

It is named for Saint Francis Drake!

That is an really amazing thought but why make Francis Drake a saint?

San Francisco Bay itself was originally called Yerba Buena. It was only changed to San Francisco in 1846.

At a time when independence movements were in full swing Drake might indeed be elevated to sainthood.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Hatty wrote:
That is an really amazing thought but why make Francis Drake a saint?

This is not the Sir Francis Drake you know from "History".
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Hatty wrote:

San Francisco Bay itself was originally called Yerba Buena. It was only changed to San Francisco in 1846.

Which seem right you read off "good herbs"......

When I see California.......

I immediately read "black fur"
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

Chad wrote:
Saint Francis Xavier?

I was right.

Here he is... about to receive "relief" from what is clearly a native Californian.

Hatty
Site Admin

Xavier is a(nother) Sar word.

Drake-dragon, the circumnavigator, reminds me of the giant serpent or dragon encircling the world which seems to be a world myth.
Wile E. Coyote

Mick Harper wrote:
And here are some of the successors of 'Drake' at work

30 years before Francis Drake. the Flemish cartographer Gerhard Mercator (1512-1594) was marking the star Draconis on his globes, surprisingly he put one and marked it bang on California.

Co-incidence that.
Hatty
Site Admin

Ishmael wrote:
This is not the Sir Francis Drake you know from "History".

I'm sure I'm not alone in wondering now who or what Drake represents...
Wile E. Coyote

Hatty wrote:

I'm sure I'm not alone in wondering now who or what Drake represents...

Agreed. Brilliant thread. Would have added more.... but house rules disallow.
Hatty
Site Admin

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
Agreed. Brilliant thread. Would have added more.... but house rules disallow.

House rules? I'd no idea we had them but even if they exist I'm sure they're not Draconian.
Duncan71

In: Calgary

I dare say Hatty. Is that a pun?
Ishmael

There's more coming.
Ishmael

Is Saint Francisque Drac -- aka. Sir Francis Drake -- an alias of Saint Francis Xavier? Maybe. Until raised in this thread, I'd never considered the possibility, nor heard of Xavier. Consulting the latter Saint's biography, I see little obvious overlap between his tale and that of Francis Drake. The possibility remains, however, that each could be a fictionalized biography for a "Saint" or "Sir" that otherwise lacked a biography but who was somehow known to exist -- if for no other reason than his name appeared to be present on certain maps.

In the specific matter of Drake, however, I am prepared to advance the notion that his biography is an amalgam of two different biographies. Either that or significant "historical" detail from a secondary source has been inserted within his biography. Those details explicitly concern the circumnavigation. I will claim that these were not present in Drake's original biography.

That original biography is a romantic tale of a certain -- apparently European (though not necessarily English) adventurer pirate. Was his name Drake? Or even Francis? Perhaps. Perhaps not. But the tale is there and is discrete absent the circumnavigation. Our hero pirate lives a life of adventure in the Caribbean harassing the Spanish and winning both fame and fortune before finally losing his life in the same area and in the same circumstances.

In the midst of this dashing career he participates in two significant events of historical import: The Spanish Armada and the Circumnavigation of the Globe. Concerning even the first of these events, there is great reason for doubt, though we will not here consider those reasons. About the second, however, there is a great cloud of anomalies.

(If both events are inventions, then Drake would seem to have been a personage borrowed by historians to fill in certain gaps that needed filling).
Ishmael

Drake's circumnavigation of the globe was actually accidental. He is said by historians to have been sent by Elizabeth I on a mission to harass the Spanish on the Pacific coast. He circled the Globe afterward on his own initiative.

Drake's voyage is full of many odd things but perhaps the oddest of all is this: Not a single ship with which he set out from England would round Cape Horn and enter the Pacific Ocean. He sailed with six ships in total. Five of them turned back or sunk. This left only one -- which happened to be Drake's flag ship -- to approach the southern tip of South America.

But then a funny thing happens in this tale.

Drake's ship suddenly changes its name.

For no reason, and despite the fact that, according to some, at-sea name changes for ships were thought to be bad luck, Drake decided to change the name of his vessel.

The ship that had sailed under Drake in the Atlantic was called the Pelican. But the ship he sailed in the Pacific and on through the Indian Ocean and round the Cape of Good Hope had a completely different name.

That name was The Golden Hind.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 86, 87, 88  Next

Jump to:  
Page 47 of 88

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in