MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Remember, Remember, the Fifth of November (British History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmael

In: Toronto

nemesis8 wrote:
Its not a parallel. Its a retelling.

So you're telling the same story a second time but completely differently.

I see it now.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Megalithic Empire has a few pages on Guido.

Guide O Forks.

There are some megalithic links here... fire tricks.(alchemy?)

Then comes a bit that interested me a claim that Guys adoptive father was called Dionysus.

ME goes off on a bit of a tangent.

There is another path Wile has been trekking down....

Wile was thinking for a long time that Guido was megalithic.

He was working on the basis of Guido Fawkes being the Dragon Serpent that needed to be slain..

Serpents have forked (guide of forkes) tongues and breathe fire.

The Guido story is connected fire, underworld, (under parliament) the river......

Anyway up pops Dionysus, who according to myth was fathered by Zeus disguised as a serpent.

Just saying.

Dragon/Serpent slaying........
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

He was working on the basis of Guido Fawkes being the Dragon Serpent that needed to be slain.

Couldn't agree more. Why is the Dragon Serpent seen as so evil or dangerous that he has to be slain?

Why does the marker of ways aka Guide of Forks literally have to go up in flames?
Wile E. Coyote

Nefertiti wrote:
Couldn't agree more. Why is the Dragon Serpent seen as so evil or dangerous that he has to be slain?

Hmmn....All innocence.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

New regime, an unpopular (and foreign) ruler. What better way for a pretty hopeless king to gain acceptance than by saving the nation's most important symbol of law and order. It seems to have worked brilliantly.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Hatty wrote:

He was working on the basis of Guido Fawkes being the Dragon Serpent that needed to be slain.

Why does the marker of ways aka Guide of Forks literally have to go up in flames?

This seems to be a Christian hangup (but way after post Gnostic and Coptic Christians)

The dragon, serpent and snake, are all symbols of knowledge and self-awareness. (See the physician's symbol) . In Christian Sunday Schools, we were taught that snakes giving us knowledge is a Bad Thing. (See Eve) But in other religions, dragon, serpent and snake are revered as carriers of wisdom, not something to be slain.

Many consciousness-raising activities still use the snake or serpent as a metaphor. For example, see Kundalini Yoga and Awakening The Serpent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kundalini_yoga
and
http://www.yogajournal.com/wisdom/2258
Wile E. Coyote

Hmmm I am not sure about a Yogic explanation of olde Guido.

Still, might be a promising line of inquiry....who knows.....?

The problem is Coyote, is just not in touch with his inner Snow Leopard..

Grrr....

Scary eh?
Jorn

nemesis8 wrote:

Bone Fire = Bonfire

How about reading why they burnt bones?

If you google burnt bone fertilizer, you will get an idea.

They might also have used the ashes to make other chemicals they needed as well.

I bet the British put grounded peat turf on the floors of their barns because they had to please some god as well, and not like the Scandinavians, that used it to soak up urine, that they could later use when dyeing clothes.
Jorn

Boreades wrote:

The dragon, serpent and snake, are all symbols of knowledge and self-awareness. (See the physician's symbol) . In Christian Sunday Schools, we were taught that snakes giving us knowledge is a Bad Thing. (See Eve) But in other religions, dragon, serpent and snake are revered as carriers of wisdom, not something to be slain.

Must everything be religious?

The midgard serpent is the horizon. Before they got house cats, they had a house worm, to keep rodents in check.

Both eels and elvers were a cherished source of proteins and fats, and people in Scandinavia still put eels in their wells, to prevent the water from being spoiled. These eels can live at least 80 years, and can become all white and quite big.

Putting a fish in the well, also works, but they don't live as long. A friends grandma had an adder in her well that could eat dead insects, frogs and such that might spoil the water, if they are left to rot.

Wells are also dangerous for children, so scaring them that something horrible lives down there, might save them from drowning. Making adders sacred could help keep the rodent population down, etc.

We don't share many parasites with eels and worms, so if they shit in your food or water, it is not dangerous like if it was a mammal doing it.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

How about reading why they burnt bones? If you google burnt bone fertilizer, you will get an idea

Or perhaps you could just tell us. I did try.

Before they got house cats, they had a house worm, to keep rodents in check.

Could you be more specific? Worms in English are a bit slow when it comes to catching rats. TME suggests barn owls were used.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
Hmmm I am not sure about a Yogic explanation of olde Guido.

Still, might be a promising line of inquiry....who knows.....?
?

Yes, I probably veered too Far East too quickly on that. To keep it "British" let's try the lineage of Francis Bacon or Rosecruscian knowledge instead.
Wile E. Coyote

I have been looking at worms, Orme,(the Great.... one) Erme (the river) Erme Pits and Hermes recently. I will post on Comments......... as this appears a better way to go......

That is if I get the time.
Jorn

Mick Harper wrote:
Or perhaps you could just tell us. I did try.

It has been a while since I read about it, and the use seems to have varied from place to place and also through the ages.

Basically bone fire ash contains various salts that living plants and animals need. Calcium, Phosphates, potash etc. In the olden days I think it was called bone-meal, but bone meal today is only heat treated crushed bone, so that some proteins remain. (I think)

You could thus give it as a food supplement to humans and animals, or you could use it to fertilize your fields. You could also make mortar out of it. I don't think you used it for mortar in areas where you had lime stone, but using it could make for a more flexible mortar or something.

I have read some old recipes on lime mortar when trying to mix the same mortar that was used originally on an old building, and they have all kinds of for us, odd ingredients. Non-fat milk and cows urine to make it flexible, is two thing I remember. (I have used a plastic polymer instead.)

So my kind of "educated" guess, is that you use bone meal in mortar to make it more plastic to work with, and that it will become more flexible when it is dry.

Bone meal is also used in case hardening steel, and it could probably be used as a flux in smelting other metals. I don't know.

By the way Lime = Glue, so in the olden days you had Cheese lime, hide lime, bone lime, stone lime etc.

It is also important that the Germanic farms at least, did not have any waste. Everything was sorted, and when you had enough of something, you had a resource you could use. What could not be used otherwise was thrown on a middens, that was regularly dug up, and used to manure the fields.

While the midden grew, nettles grew on them, giving you a source for both food and textiles.

Could you be more specific? Worms in English are a bit slow when it comes to catching rats. TME suggests barn owls were used.

Small mammals are on the menu, so they can't be to slow. That they go for the nests, to eat the little rodent babies, would probably be an added benefit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vipera_berus

The grass snake is called Bu-orm in Norwegian, that roughly can be translated to house dwelling worm. They mostly eat amphibians though, and are good swimmers so they might have been put in the wells as well.
Ishmael

Jorn wrote:
If you google burnt bone fertilizer, you will get an idea.

FANTASTIC!

For years I have wondered why bonfire appears to be "bone-fire".
Ishmael

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
...worms, Orme,...Erme and Hermes

Wait a second.

Herm is a form of Worm??
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next

Jump to:  
Page 18 of 19

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in