MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Remember, Remember, the Fifth of November (British History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

That's actually rather good, Mr Harper... Rather good indeed!

I assume it's going to make it into 'The Book'?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

It's in the Terraforming chapter in between the Somerset Levels and hillforts. After some soul-searching the artificiality of the Isle of Wight is not going to be included.
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

Speaking of artificial islands...

The fact that in recent times the Isle of Thanet decided to rapidly (and so completely) re-attach itself to the mainland, suggests it was always predisposed to do so.

The Megalithics must have had good reason to keep it cut off from the mainland... and very probably severed it in the first place.
nemesis8

In: byrhfunt

Bonfire= Bone Fire

Its to do with a hunting taboo concerning the disposal of bones. This is the ancient bit.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Why a hunting taboo? Sounds more like a funeral.
nemesis8

Its about showing respect, to your prey, unless you dispose of the bones properly, then the animals will not return to be hunted. You keep the bones and then later burn them.

Unless you do this you suffer bad luck.

Bone Fire = Bonfire
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

This theory has the merit of being true, in the AE sense, that Kalahari Bushmen actually do have theories of this kind. As opposed to what it sounds like, archaeologists wittering on.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

It appears that Southwark Council have lost The Plot. (Groans all round... sorry)

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23988961-bonfire-frightcouncil-gives-guy-new-name.do
nemesis8

Guy/Fox (experimental)

The fox is known for cunning, slyness, and an ability to make fools out of those who chase it. It has the ability to watch the motivations and movements of others while remaining unobserved itself.....

The fox often features in Aesop. He is associated with cunning deception.

Here is a story.....

Fox once saw a Crow fly off with a piece of cheese in its beak and settle on a branch of a tree.

"That's for me, as I am a Fox," said Master Reynard, and he walked up to the foot of the tree.

"Good day, Mistress Crow," he cried. "How well you are looking today: how glossy your feathers; how bright your eye. I feel sure your voice must surpass that of other birds, just as your figure does; let me hear but one song from you that I may greet you as the Queen of Birds."

The Crow lifted up her head and began to caw her best, but the moment she opened her mouth the piece of cheese fell to the ground, only to be snapped up by Master Fox.

The gunpowder plot is a retelling of this fable.

Farfetched? The Bayeux tapestry references the same fable.....

CF The day of the Jackal, Carlos the Jackal.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Talking animals are a Megalithic 'invention'? Parliament of rooks comes to mind (and Tony's cronies). Is crow related to crown (corone in Greek apparently).

Henry Tudor (VII) picked up the crown from 'a hawthorn bush' post battle. How crone-like is that?
nemesis8

Thanks Hats.

It amazes me that post Fomenko, (not that I have read him, I merely heard about him via his disciples), that anybody can grasp New History without the basics......

The Fox/Crow and Gunpowder Plot. are both examples of "Ambush" stories.

Still..............
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

In the Guy Fawkes story it's an 'eagle' (Lord Montague, a known Recusant) who 'sings' i.e. gets a letter that apparently warns him of the plot.

Guy fox doesn't get the cheese in this case. Does that mean the fable's turned round to make the crow the winner? The Stuarts as stewards. James I is the Raven King a la ravens who guard family estates, crossroads, the Tower of London, etc.?

[The most famous Fox(e) was an out-and-out Protestant, who apparently single-handedly launched the Bloody Mary campaign, or slur if you're of the other persuasion.]
nemesis8

You're probably right Hats.

Still my inspiration for reopening Guido was the following.

Applied epistemologist wrote:
I've read enough to know that Mary, Martha & co. are manifestations of earth-goddess type figures and is the whole point so needs to be stated.

Brilliant eh?

Wish I had worked that out.

The roads are built over the tracks.

I have merely redirected the mirror......
Ishmael

In: Toronto

nemesis8 wrote:
The gunpowder plot is a retelling of this fable.

I don't see the parallel.
nemesis8

Its not a parallel.

Its a retelling.

Myths have common elements, but their meanings and usuage can change/flip over.

A saint is not a moon goddess. But Ursula is a version of Artemis.

Guido is a version of the Fox.

In the story he mirrors the Crow(n) King.

Whether the fox is successful or not does not matter. What matters is that he deceives and flatters and the shallow vain crow listens.

It is English propaganda.

N8 thoroughly approves of this whole undertaking, to stitch up Guido and his mates, and also to have a dig at James at the same time.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Jump to:  
Page 17 of 19

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in