MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Remember, Remember, the Fifth of November (British History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Wouldn't measurements be taken over time as well as distance, presumably using a specific base line, the lunar and solar synthesis being achieved as it were every 18.6 years (roughly the same period of time as a Druid's training reportedly)?
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

Interesting thought... but I'm pretty sure the Mayday Sun would rise in the same position at either end (or any other point) of the cycle.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Do you see any special significance in May Day and if so why?
Chad

Hatty wrote:
Do you see any special significance in May Day and if so why?

What is significant about the Michael Line is it's location (as pre-determined by the particular geography of southern mainland Britain)... I think we all agree on that.

If the M.L. does indeed point out the direction of sunrise on Mayday (when viewed from position x) it is not because it was specifically designed to do so... that would mean it was so positioned to have both geographical and celestial significance... which would in turn mean the entire geography of southern Britain was pre-planned, so that it's longest possible straight line would point out the position of a specific solar event... and that would mean entering into the realm of the crazies. (I'll grant the ancients some terraforming capabilities, but not to that extent.)

No, if Mayday has any significance at all (in this context) it takes it from the fact that it just happens to be the day on which the Sun just happens to appear to rise at the end of a significant section of the Michael line.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Chad wrote:
No, if Mayday has any significance at all (in this context) it takes it from the fact that it just happens to be the day on which the Sun just happens to appear to rise at the end of a significant section of the Michael line.

No. Not quite.

The whole system is celestial, and if you want to know how it worked, simply read up on how the Polynesians navigated the Pacific.

[Side Hypothesis: The Pacific islands were only recently populated and were populated by New Zealanders. The natives of New Zealand actually learned the trick of how to navigate by stars from visiting Europeans in the 1400s-1500s. This knowledge gave them the capacity to exploit the Pacific for the first time and enabled its colonization only just ahead of Europeans -- which is why not every habitable island was, in fact, inhabited even when Cook arrived in the HMS Resolution.].

May Day was important because it marked the celestial day marker for the longest land line to cross southern Britain and thus the angular displacement necessary to calculate that line from the present sunrise of any other day of the year.

Every line -- and thus every day -- has a name. The most significant days have significant names. I suspect May 1st was so significant, it couldn't be kept secret, which is why it actually ended up with no name.
Chad

May Day was important because it marked the celestial day marker for the longest land line to cross southern Britain

Yes, that pretty much fits what I was saying... Mayday can only take it's significance from the Michael Line rather than the Michael Line being positioned to point to the Mayday sunrise.

That said... you still have to account for the fact that the angle of sunrise varies with latitude.

You may well be right about these 'straights' being slight curves... the Michael Line may be short enough to get away with being a 'best fit straight line'.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

as pre-determined by the particular geography of southern mainland Britain)... I think we all agree on that.

Not by me, bwana. Both East Anglia and the Somerset Levels are artificial. Nonetheless I agree that Mayday was chosen because of the Michael Line and not vice versa. We know this because there is nothing whatever significant about May First so clearly it was chosen because of its coincidence with a pre-existing something or other.
Chad

Not by me, bwana. Both East Anglia and the Somerset Levels are artificial.

Yes I think you're right on that.

Though I did say:

I'll grant the ancients some terraforming capabilities...

...and I think this sort of 'in-fill' would be well within their capabilities.

Hang on a mo... are you saying all of East Anglia?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Yup. Take another look at it, scan in the Michael Line, and you should be able to guess the rest. But I'll post up the solution in twenty-four hours when you can't.
Chad

The Broads (at the very least) look to be reclaimed... and the coastal area of north-east Norfolk is pretty high lying (especially around Cromer) and may have been off-shore islands or a promontory, before the reclamation.

My guess is that as the North Sea rose and the inhabitants of Dogger followed the receding shoreline they eventually found themselves in an area where (once things had settled) they could launch something of a fightback.

I doubt this was done specifically to accommodate the Michael Line... and probably pre-dated this important trade route.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Nah. What is different about East Anglia than the rest of the east coast?
Chad

I've always thought the oddest feature of the east coast was the Wash... (Or is that just an artifact of the overall artificiality of East Anglia?)

East Anglia does look very different to the rest of the east coast, but I don't think it screams out "artificial" rather than "reclaimed".

But I'm sure you will enlighten us (once again) with your uniquely gifted insight.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

You're right to look a the Wash. Also its opposite on the other side, the "Thames Estuary". And notice the Isle of Thanet, a dead giveaway.
Chad

Not sure what you find a dead giveaway about Thanet.

It was still an island in recorded history:

The Wantsum Channel gradually narrowed as pebble beaches built up at the southern end of the strait, blocking silt coming down down the Stour. In the eighth century it was reported that the Channel was now three furlongs wide (660 yards (600 m)), and a map of 1414 showed a ferry crossing at Sarre. The first bridge over the channel was built there in 1485. Until the mid 18th century there was a ferry between Sandwich and the island; a wooden drawbridge was built, and the ferry was closed.

As I said before, there is evidence of land reclamation in parts of East Anglia... but nothing more than you would expect, since its inhabitants had seen their originally much larger homeland gradually engulfed by the rising North Sea... and would have developed skills and techniques along the way to protect what land they had left.

Once the sea had stopped rising these same skills and techniques could have been used to reclaim some of what had been lost.

Or it could simply be that what we see in East Anglia is not so much an area of reclaimed land, but nothing more than land that was successfully defended from the rising North Sea.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Or it could be that what we see in East Anglia is not so much an area of reclaimed land, but simply land that was successfully defended from the rising North Sea.

Remember the AE principle of "What is is what was..." From actual records we know that the east coast crumbles into the sea at about a rate of one mile per century when human intervention is absent. All you have to do then is to add fifty centuries @ one mile per century back onto the present east coast in order to return to the status quo ante the Megalithics in c 3000 BC.

Except where Megalithic human intervention took place ie where it was the Michael Line that was being eroded and therefore the Broads were constructed to prevent further erosion. You can also factor in the Isle of Thanet which contained other Megalithic crown jewels. Now remove the fifty centuries again saving these bits and you should come up with the present coast line.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Jump to:  
Page 16 of 19

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in