MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Troy Game (History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Natural Selection doesn't work as an explanation of speciation, but surely you must agree that it works within species?

If it is possible to improve within a species by natural selection--which clearly it is because animal breeders do it all the time--then it must be because "natural" selection is somehow preventing the proper mechanism from working (on Ockamite grounds, it being unlikely there are two mechanisms).
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Mick Harper wrote:
If it is possible to improve within a species by natural selection...

It isn't.

--which clearly it is because animal breeders do it all the time...

What breeders do is bend the curve. They push a species toward one "end" of its existing genetic spectrum by eliminating genes. The breed survives only so long as it is kept pure -- that is, isolated from the wider gene pool.

No "improvement" has occurred. In fact, pure-breds are generally weaker.

Natural selection operates and it does the exact same thing -- no more and no less. Another mechanism is needed because this one isn't suited to the task.
Grant

(on Ockamite grounds, it being unlikely there are two mechanisms).

But perhaps there is one mechanism - Darwinism, of course - which helps to preserve the species type and another as yet unknown which changes it?
DPCrisp

In: Bedfordshire

Do we know what Troy means?

(Baby name websites say there are English, French and Gaelic versions of Troy as a name.)

Cognate with

Drihten, Drithen, Dryhten, Drighten: Proto-Germanic *drohtinoz, Old Saxon drohtin, Old Frisian drochten, Old High German truhtin, Old Norse dróttinn... lord, governor, leader; the Lord; God...

perhaps?

Under "Related terms: draw, drag, draught, draft" they forgot true.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Under "Related terms: draw, drag, draught, draft" they forgot true.

As in Troy weight? There's perhaps a link in there with three/trois. What is the connection, if it exists, between Troy and mazes/labyrinths?

Incidentally and off on a tangent, Gower (Gwyr) in baby-names is said to mean 'pure' but in Welsh dictionaries it's translated as crooked, oblique, slanting. Of course old meanings no doubt get twisted around as we saw with "nice".
DPCrisp

In: Bedfordshire

As in Troy weight?

Well that's "Probably from a weight used at the fair of Troyes in France"... but Troyes in France is probably nearer the centre of the mystery than orthodoxy believes.
Ishmael

Personally, I think "Troy" is cognate with "Turkey".

That doesn't mean Troy is Turkey.

I think the "y" is a Greek "n" which makes the words equally valid when read...

Tron and Turken.

The Tr and the Tur are both forms of Tsar (also known as Stan).

Tsar-(k)on / Tsar-ken

The word, as I've been saying for some time, means "Division of the kin". Otherwise known as "home sweet home".
Leon

Hatty wrote:

Jesus. Look at the history before making such a judgement. They were attacked first. From the Six Days War onwards. What do you want from Israelis? Lie down and let themselves be blasted unto Zion?
What do you want from Palestinians?
In 1947 and 48, 800,000 of them were driven out of what was to become Israeli territory.

Since 1967 they have been living under a brutal military occupation, suffering collective punishments - 1400 civilians dead in the attack on Gaza in January of 2009 - and massive economic and cultural destruction - factories, schools, olive groves blasted and bulldozed. This is not an eye for an eye, it's a dozen eyes for an eye and mouthfuls of teeth for a tooth. The original principle is wrong, although even Christians adhere to it in spite of the teachings they supposedly believe in, but the application is criminal. International law defines it so.

It was the Israelis, that is, European Jews, who invaded Palestine, not Palestinians who invaded Israel. You look at history.

In a recent interview Simon Peres had the hypocritical gall to say that the Israeli government is the primary actor in the creation of a Palestinian state - just when Netanyahu had announced the creation of more Israeli settlements in the West Bank.
Leon

Here are a few relevant quotes from the Palestinian poet Mahmoud Darwish:

We should not justify suicide bombers. We are against the suicide bombers, but we must understand what drives these young people to such actions. They want to liberate themselves from such a dark life. It is not ideological, it is despair.

We have to understand - not justify - what gives rise to this tragedy. It's not because they're looking for beautiful virgins in heaven, as Orientalists portray it. Palestinian people are in love with life. If we give them hope - a political solution - they'll stop killing themselves.

I will continue to humanise even the enemy... The first teacher who taught me Hebrew was a Jew. The first love affair in my life was with a Jewish girl. The first judge who sent me to prison was a Jewish woman. So from the beginning, I didn't see Jews as devils or angels but as human beings. Several poems are to Jewish lovers. These poems take the side of love not war.

I am patient and am waiting for a profound revolution in the consciousness of the Israelis. The Arabs are ready to accept a strong Israel with nuclear arms - all it has to do is open the gates of its fortress and make peace.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Ishmael wrote:

Where does the purported link with London (New Troy) come from? English towns aren't usually named after Turkish cities. The nearest approximation that I can see is Tre- names (Cornish equivalent of 'ham') and they're on the far side of the country.
Ishmael

Leon wrote:
It was the Israelis, that is, European Jews, who invaded Palestine, not Palestinians who invaded Israel. You look at history.

When did this "invasion?" occur? They bought the land. Paid real money for it.

The majority of Israelis come from the Middle East. One might as well argue that Moslems invaded Pakistan and stole it from India.

Under the PA, as under the Jordanian authorities before, it is a capital offence to sell land to a Jew. Real multiculturalists, those Arabs.

I've no sympathy for the Palestinians. None. Ask me if I could care less. Go ahead. Ask.

I could not care less.

For a Moslem, it is a sin to relinquish any morsel of land formerly occupied by their fabled Islamic empire. That's why there is no peace. It's the only reason. You can tell because it's the one reason no one speaks of.
Ishmael

Leon wrote:

We have to understand - not justify - what gives rise to this tragedy. It's not because they're looking for beautiful virgins in heaven, as Orientalists portray it. Palestinian people are in love with life. If we give them hope - a political solution - they'll stop killing themselves.

They created their own mess. The Jews had nothing to do with it.

"Orientalists". LOL! Nothing betrays an over-educated buffoon more than the use of that word.

We're all supposed to bend over backwards now proving we aren't "orientalists". Why do you think I insist on spelling the word Moslem?

In yo' face!
Ishmael

Hatty wrote:
Ishmael wrote:

Where does the purported link with London (New Troy) come from?

I see none.

But remember, the word Tsar-khan (zone-kin) and its opposite, khan-tsar is found everywhere in the world. The word "Shire" in the UK is a form of Tsar (or stan).

The word County is a form of Khan-tsar. A County is a kin-zone. So is a Country.
Ishmael

Leon wrote:
800,000 of them were driven out of what was to become Israeli territory.

You mean of course when they got out of the way of the invading Arab armies.

Jordan has killed more Palestinians than has Israel, and the Palestinians are treated more like dogs in Saudi Arabia. How come this oppression hasn't led to the sort of despair and misery that supposedly fuels suicide bombings?

Cause that has nothing to do with it. As any fool could see.
Grant

How come this oppression hasn't led to the sort of despair and misery that supposedly fuels suicide bombings?

Cause that has nothing to do with it. As any fool could see.

Of course it's got nothing to do with it. It's all about hatred of the Jews. Now, I don't like the Palestinians, but I don't like the Jews either. What I don't understand is why a dispute over this shitty bit of dusty land by two unpleasant groups of people should be so massively important to our leaders and to our media companies. Actually I do know and so do we all.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Jump to:  
Page 12 of 14

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in