MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Ancient Islamic Empire (History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmael

In: Toronto

I just want to say that making these old posts of mine public is highly embarrassing.

Can we please ask me in future if I am prepared for public humiliation?
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

When the AEL site was first set up the instructions were to transfer some of the material from the original site to get things off the ground and if necessary to drip-feed the new site from time to time, apologies if the posts are now out of date.

Since AEL's inception the posters have galloped off in various directions so evidently many of the early posts are no longer relevant. Any posts you wish to disown can be deleted!
DPCrisp

In: Bedfordshire

Wandering Jews, innit?

Isn't there a question about whether the Jews ever really wandered? But if the Sephardim are Jews in Iberia then I can see them being considered a long way from home; and therefore "must have" travelled at least the length of Europe. [Sephar = Spain looks like a valid equation.]

Sepharad, which S. Ierome doth interpret the Bosphor or Straight

Sepharad read as separate then. A good description of the Jews anywhere, innit?

All this stuff about confusion between places in Western Europe and Eastern Med sounds familiar, dunnit? {"Oh, show me the way to go, Homer"}
DPCrisp

In: Bedfordshire

I don't understand what he's going on about in the 2nd paragraph.

what need is there to beleeve and to take the Spanish Nation for the transmigration from Ierusalem to Sapharad, vnlesse we will vnderstand lerusalem spiritually, and thereby the Church? So as by the transmigration from lerusalem to Sapharad, the holy spirite shewes vs the children of the holy Church, which inhabit the ends of the earth and the banks of the Sea, for so is Sapharad vnderstood in the Syrian tongue, and doth well agree with our Spaine, which according to the Ancients is the ende of the earth, beeing in a manner all invironed with Sea.

Paraphrase =

Why should we identify the (modern) Spanish with the (biblical) Jews that went from Jerusalem to Sepharad? Perhaps it's metaphorical: Jerusalem is the Church with a capital C; Spain represents the Ends of the Earth; so the transmigration from Jerusalem to Sepharad refers to the Children of the Holy Church throughout the whole World.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Sephar = Spain looks like a valid equation.

Indeed. Spain in Hebrew is 'Sfarad' which suggests their co-religionists elsewhere identify this particular group as Spanish. (Sfat became an important cabbalistic centre after the expulsion from Spain).
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Let's not forget that Spain was the only country in Europe that was (for all practical purposes) run as a giant sheep-range.
Rocky

Hatty wrote:
Since AEL's inception the posters have galloped off in various directions so evidently many of the early posts are no longer relevant. Any posts you wish to disown can be deleted!

I don't think they should be deleted because someone may come along and have the same thoughts and think they are novel. But if they find that something similar is already posted, and been refuted, it saves effort.

Also, anyone who's been following threads would know that Ishmael no longer holds some of the positions put forth in old posts.
Ishmael

Rocky wrote:
Also, anyone who's been following threads would know that Ishmael no longer holds some of the positions put forth in old posts.

Thank god.

I will add though that the anomaly I picked up on here -- which prompted this train of thought -- is legitimate. There is an uncanny overlap between the "ancient" Carthaginian Empire and the Moslem Empire of the middle ages.

The explanation for that overlap, however, is likely to be found elsewhere.
Leon

Just read through this thread.

As usual the vortex of derivations, free associations and both plausible and dubious cross-lingual connexions gets a bit dizzying, as Dan Crisp notes, but the theory Ishmael outlines on the first page seems very sensible - although to tell you the truth I have rather scant information on which to judge.

Certainly if Christianity and Islam were (even if there is another layer of doctrine below the surface) spinoffs from Judaism, as Christianity from everything we know about it must be, and as Islam seems to be since the Qur'n tells so many of the same stories as the Hebrew Bible, then Zoroastrianism could also be.

I don't think that's exactly what you're saying, Ish, but if Jews and Zoroastrianists were associated with the frequency you say, and of course Judaism or at least the Hebrew tradition from which it developed is much older (Zoroaster lived in the 6th C BC, whereas Moses goes back to about 1500 BC and Abraham to the 22nd C, and the Hebrew Bible records events and personages going back to the mid-7th millennium: Adam, first known patriarch, mythologised as the First Man), then the derivation is likely, at least very possible.

Martin Freksa, in Traces of the Atlantic Civilization, states that the closest linguistic affinity of the Phoenicians, founders of Carthage, was with the Hebrews, so the link on the Western end of this presumed pre-Islamic religious movement also seems to make sense. By the way, perhaps Hatty can answer this, when did Judah/Yudah live, the one for whom Judaism is named? (It's good to get informed confirmation of Sfarad = Spain > Sephardic.)
Leon

Some years ago, when I learned that it was commonly believed in Europe that Mohammed was a Christian renegade and therefore a schismatic, it occurred to me that even if that is not true, the development of Islam might well have been a reaction on the part of the Arab upper class to the spread of Christianity in Egypt and Arabia and other neighbouring areas, which, since it had been made official in the Roman, or in his time post-Roman budding Byzantine Empire, would have meant the possible encroachment (once again) of that Empire in more than religious terms.

The standard story says that the Arabs at that time were animists or pagans or the like, which doesn't make sense considering the religious history of the area, so if there was a Carthaginian-Zoroastrian set of beliefs there that had grown lax as doctrine and fallen to large degree into disuse, it would have provided a handy basis for a religious revival with a new book to give it a glamorous uptodate air.

I've never actually read the Qur'n, because looking into it it seemed pretty boring, but skipping around in it my impression is that the most frequent theme is Repent! or thou shalt be cast into hell! Does this tally with what any of you know about Zoroastrianism?
Leon

And by the way, I don't see any reason to suppose that Jesus and Mohammed are not historical figures, among others normally termed 'mythological'. Someone had to exercise the roles they are said to have played, even if the stories told about them have been embroidered for better literary presentation, or even if, for example, we suppose that Mohammed was the front man for a more corporate sort of upper-middle-classs economic-political-religious movement, so why think the men who played those roles were not named as tradition says?
Ishmael

Leon wrote:
And by the way, I don't see any reason to suppose that Jesus and Mohammed are not historical figures...

Then you haven't looked very hard.
Leon

Ishmael wrote:
Leon wrote:
And by the way, I don't see any reason to suppose that Jesus and Mohammed are not historical figures...

Then you haven't looked very hard.

Not at all in fact. It's not my responsibility to justify other people's theories, or bald statements.

In the 19th C the Bible was disqualified as an arbiter of scientific judgement. And a good thing. But then everything in it was relegated to the realm of fantasy: scientific positivism become fanaticism. In recent years I've read that Socrates never existed, that the Hebrews never existed, they were just an international collection of escapees from Egyptian slavery who then invented a previous unified history, now Jesus and Mohammed are out the window, of course Atlantis never existed since Aristotle's time, the Trojan War never happened until Schliemann came along, the figures of classical mythology never existed, I suppose you'll tell me that Zoroaster never existed, how about Gautama Buddha and Lao Zu? they don't have much possibility of having existed as things are going.

How dull things must have been in antiquity! No one in particular existed and nothing ever happened, anonymous people just sat around the fire dreaming up tall tales to entertain the ingenuous of future times.
Leon

In any case, Ishmael, I still think your Carthaginian/Islamic religion theory has a lot of substance, I'd like to see further developments.

Where I think you went off track was in the question of the 'barbars'. The point is that the people identified by that name didn't call themselves that, so for example a supposed connection between 'barbar' and Hebrew 'bar' has no foundation.
Leon

Rocky wrote:
Anatoly Fomenko...thinks that Judaism and Islam are branches of Christianity.
But aren't there notices from other peoples of Jews and Hebrews long before the time of Christ? Ishmael tells of associations of Jews and Zoroastrians centuries before that - you can check with him about his sources. Or does Fomenko alter the time that Christianity came into being?
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Jump to:  
Page 3 of 7

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in