MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Canons of Culture (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I am writing from memory. It may only have been yesterday but that's my memory for you.

1. Leaving on a jet plane is a Denver song but was a hit by Peter, Paul and Mary.
2. Annie's Song was originally a Denver composition but was adapted by and a hit for various other singers (including an advert?)
3. Take me home, country roads was, I believe, the hit I referred to, though not a massive one.

PS Denver's LP's were always in the LP charts.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Which black American song writer is the only black American to have a song top the US country charts?

When was the song written?

When did it chart?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Patti Labelle.
Wile E. Coyote

Nope, but right idea. This artist won a Grammy for best pop vocal for this song, then someone thought, 30 years later, this is a great country song.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

No comment
Karen Schwartz, top writer in creativity, poet and personal essayist wrote:
If you are unfamiliar with a drabble, it is a fiction story of exactly 100 words.
She Was Just Like Her Mother...

Mick Harper wrote:
Margaret Drabble wasn't like her mother. Though she was like her novelist father.

Karen Schwartz wrote:
I had to look her up. I hadn't heard of her. : )
Wile E. Coyote

The answer was Fast Car, Tracy Chapman. 1988.

And you are bound to get it on Quiz Nights....

Made famous as a country song by Luke Combs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr7oYjnt3bM

So what is the difference between the folk and country cannon.

Same with Denver, they are folk songs.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

So what is the difference between the folk and country cannon.

There is no overlap despite the fact that they are essentially the same thing. This is because one is left wing and bourgeois, the other is right wing and proletarian. Neither can bear the idea they are fruit of the same tree. Nashville Skyline is your text.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Hey, a Verdi opera I'd never heard of. Stiffelio.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Where Did It All Go Wrong Dept

Fleetwood Mac founder Peter Green has left £4.5 million in his will - but his son who fought a court battle to prove that the rock legend was his father will not receive a single penny.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The canon of 'English detective fiction' is moderately important (English in the sense of place rather than language) despite being popular, even pulp, and therefore tending to the uncanonical. It divides into whodunnits and thrillers, and the subgenres divide into police detectives and private detectives.

I have been listening to a yarn plucked from genre (2), subgenre (2) by the stupendously prolific -- six hundred novels -- John Creasey, featuring 'The Toff'. It ought to be 'The Tosh' such is the reliance on coincidence, cardboard cutoutery and shameless class consciousness. But I'm still listening because Creasey, like Agatha Christie who suffers all the same faults, is able to vault effortlessly over any literary limitations. Which is why both are securely in the canon.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Spot the Deliberate Mistake

Screenplay by
Malcolm Bradbury

From the Novel by
Stella Gibbons
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I had to scan Walter Scott's Marmion to track down a line I needed. Three days later I have reached Canto VI and haven't found it yet. But on the way I couldn't help noticing the whole poem is full of names and places of great resonance with our own work. Why is this? A coupla theories:

1. Walter Scott was entranced by the same faux history we are, though he treats it as being more historical than we would.
2. Walter Scott -- and Marmion in particular? - is sufficiently influential that the modern world has been subverted by him/it and we are picking up the same thing.

What can certainly be said is they don't write poems like that any more. Truly a wonder to behold. Unreadable today I would imagine though I'll try and find a YouTube of it being recited to make sure.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I had to scan Walter Scott's Marmion to track down a line I needed. Three days later I have reached Canto VI and haven't found it yet. But on the way I couldn't help noticing the whole poem is full of names and places of great resonance with our own work. Why is this? A coupla theories:

1. Walter Scott was entranced by the same faux history we are, though he treats it as being more historical than we would.
2. Walter Scott -- and Marmion in particular? - is sufficiently influential that the modern world has been subverted by him/it and we are picking this up.

What can certainly be said is they don't write poems like that any more. Blimey, it even rhymes. Truly a wonder to behold. Unreadable today I would imagine though I'll try and find a YouTube of it being recited to make sure. If you care to get in first it can be found here in all its glory https://www.gutenberg.org/files/4010/4010-h/4010-h.htm
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The Beatles and The Stones Weren’t Just Competitors, They Hated One Another.
“Everything we did, Mick does exactly the same — he imitates us.” - Lennon
(Daniel Van Auken)
https://medium.com/1ntune/the-beatles-vs-the-stones-origin-story-the-black-dwarf-connection-0ccf1af41d7c

This got a thousand or so views and thirty odd responses, including this one

Mick Harper wrote:
This is all complete rubbish. I know, I was there. The Stones and the Beatles were friends. Not best mates, not bosom buddies, but friends. The idea they hated each other is just plain absurd. They were often out and about in each other's company, both personally and professionally. John Lennon went mildly off his rocker when the sixties were becoming the seventies and Tariq Ali was trying to keep up with Jann Wenner.

Daniel Van Auken wrote:
Thanks for sharing. My piece clearly states the nuances. And yes, they did have a relationship when mutually advantageous. However, despite the interactions Lennon and Jagger had during Lennon's "lost weekend" (and elsewhere), Lennon still harbored quite a bit of resentment in some areas. I stand by my research. Nonetheless, thanks for reading!
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Jump to:  
Page 7 of 7

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in