MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
All Things Roman (History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I don't care what you call it if you answer the question.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Name a Roman basilica converted into a Christian church

My provisional theory is that all the papal basilicas were. I just can't date it. I am trying to sequence it.

So let's start with the 4 major papal basilicas

St. John Lateran, St. Peter's Basilica, St. Paul Outside the Walls, St. Mary Major.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Wiley, just say you can't and move on.
Wile E. Coyote

I can't move on, as it is the argument.

Within Basilicas public meetings assembiles took place, as the Empire was formed and Ceasar (father) and Augustus (son) became divine, these buildings increasingly took on more imperial state religious functions. The God/Jesus, father/son, cult evolved from this.

Roman Basilicas evolve into Christian churches.

Christianity is a western religion.
Wile E. Coyote

This was a curious episode, that required Constantine to shift capitals from Rome to Constantinople (it is called doing an Akhenaten) and leaving his wandering Christian mother Helena (the discoverer of The True Cross) to set in motion the chain of events and building works that led to Rome becoming the former capital, but administrative centre, of Christianity.

There is way too much happening in a short space of time. There isn't much agreement, and multiple solutions advanced. It's referred to by theologians and some historians as "the Constantine shift". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constantinian_shift Of course, once it was declared a shift, then some folks tried to disprove the shift altogether.

It is a case of the ortho paradigm, like The True Cross, has splintered.

Why did the True Cross splinter?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I agree that this is -- as usual -- an unexplored anomaly solved by historians using their "That's What Happened, Who Are We To Argue?' principle.

It will be recalled that in Diocletian's time the Christians were a despised and persecuted minority. Next thing you know, they're running the show. This is not impossible, cf the Bolsheviks, but it would take a bit more than Constantine having a dream before the Battle of Milvan Bridge (or whatever). And dying a non-Christian. Some Lenin he made.
Wile E. Coyote

Why did the True Cross splinter?

If you have a single True Cross, then for many of us, it is the True Cross.

If you have two True Crosses' then the mind believes that at least one is fake, and possibly both.

If you have three True Crosses, then the concept of True Cross is in question.

At this point that True Cross will splinter, surely amongst the splinters is a genuine splinter of the True Cross?

It's the same with paradigms. Least it is for Wiley.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
Name a Roman basilica converted into a Christian church

Sorry, I can't do that.

But I can name several Roman Mythraic Chapels that were converted into Christian Churches.

Does that help or hinder?
Wile E. Coyote

It helps.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

If Borry can, I will rip up various parts of my last book.
Wile E. Coyote

Look at it this way, if you are in the novelty business, you are always right, until someone comes along and refutes you. And don't forget, many ideas now refuted have proved immensely beneficial to mankind, pending the refutation becoming accepted.

Does that help?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

One thing at a time, Wiley. We're looking for some archeological evidence of a Roman building being turned into a Christian building before the eleventh century.
Boreades

Mick Harper wrote:
We're looking for some archaeological evidence of a Roman building being turned into a Christian building before the eleventh century.

There are several almost-lost Mithraic temples in Britain. Mostly recycled and now known as "early Christian chapels".

Harpo, if you get on the Central Line tube to Bank, go into Bloomberg’s European headquarters (designed by Norman Foster).
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5126374,-0.0904645,18.75z

Ask nicely and they'll let you into the basement to see the London Mithraeum.
Boreades

I did have a list of these Mithraic to Christian chapels.
I've lost it.
Bugger.
I'll go back and start again.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Much obliged if you would.

I wouldn't myself call Bloomberg a Christian church, more a temple of capitalism. However I'll get Hatty to examine the pre-eleventh century archaeology. I bet it'll be the usual. I bet she says, "Who do you think you are, Dominic Raab? Do it yourself."
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Jump to:  
Page 22 of 28

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in