MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
All Things Roman (History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

'what other examples are there?'

1. WW1
2. WW2
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Mick Harper wrote:
An interesting 'historian's error'

Yeah bit of a blunder, Hadrian never existed. Surprisingly she failed to notice this.
Wile E. Coyote

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
Mick Harper wrote:
An interesting 'historian's error'

Yeah bit of a blunder, Hadrian never existed. Surprisingly she failed to notice this.

Maybe she was going on the coin "evidence".......?
Wile E. Coyote

This has led to some confusion in the recognition of who built what...

http://www.jesusneverexisted.com/herod-vs-hadrian.html
Wile E. Coyote

Mary was certainly right when she points out that there are lot of images of Hadrian but scant credible written sources.

Accordingly we are led to believe that Hadrian (a longish reign, given intrigue and assassination plots etc, he was thought by some to be Nero redivivus) spent about half his time toddling round the empire, from Brittania to Israel, from the Danube to North Africa, often with his boyfriend, a good looking heroic young fellow....he had a particular propensity to personally visit forts and garrisons.....ordering the legionnaires to stand to attention....

"Let us go for a daytrip today"

"Can we visit the beach?"

"I was thinking more of a fort"

"Another fort?"

"Turn over"

Nobody can really devise a time travel line. Still we know he went, as there are some dodgy accounts and a lot of bearded Hadrian images out there.......
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

And a lot of bearded babies born the year after his visit.
Boreades

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
Accordingly we are led to believe that Hadrian (a longish reign, given intrigue and assassination plots etc, he was thought by some to be Nero redivivus) spent about half his time toddling round the empire, from Brittania to Israel, from the Danube to North Africa, often with his boyfriend, a good looking heroic young fellow....he had a particular propensity to personally visit forts and garrisons.....ordering the legionnaires to stand to attention....

"Let us go for a daytrip today"

"Can we visit the beach?"

"I was thinking more of a fort"

"Another fort?"

"Turn over"

You must have heard they're going to remake the Carry On films.

This reads like the start of one ;-)

Infamy! Infamy! ...
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I don't follow you, Borry. Is there going to be a Carry On Hadrian film featuring this scene
Hadrian (to his lover): Could you put it infamy?
Wile E. Coyote

The Romans had the bright idea of personifying their conquests on their coins, so wherever Hadrian traveled we have a representation of the defeated locals. You might say (I couldn't possibly advance this as a paradigm) they coinquered.

Your Brits got, err Britannia, who was still going strong many centuries later.

http://www.royalmint.com/discover/britannia/britannia-and-the-romans
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Here's something that will excite Ishmael

In 171 CE, Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius (161-180) loses large areas of Spain to invading Moors. Even Cordoba (Accubi), the home of his paternal great-grandfather, Annius Verus, has to be ceded to the troops from North Africa. Yet, eventually the Romans get the situation under control.

The invasion strikingly repeats itself in 750 when Umayyad Moors manage to establish a first foothold around Cordoba. Yet, they fail to establish a caliphate and have to be content with an emirate. A fullblown caliphate in Spain does not emerge before the 930s. Thus, the Roman report on invasions by the Moors in the late 2nd c. and Arab reports on a first emirate in Spain describe the same historical event.

http://www.q-mag.org/_iserv/dlfiles/dl.php?ddl=gunnar-islam-and-arab-chronology-heinsohn-21-11-2013.pdf

The main debate is on the COIN thread in the New Concepts section. .
Wile E. Coyote

Your archaeos have dicovered 405 writing tablets unearthed in the heart of London, for AEists who like orthodox chronology, they date from as early as AD 43, the year the Romans started their coinquest of Britain, yep, it is the the oldest examples of writing ever found in Britain.

Thank you, Romans....

Picture this.....

Roger Tomlin, Roman Historian.... University of Oxford. wrote:

Before the Romans invaded, London didn’t exist.... There were just “wild west, hillbilly-style settlements” scattered around the area.

Yaa Ho....

Yet......all is not what it seems

The tablets reveal a rich cast of 1st-century Londoners, contain the first ever written reference to the city, and hint at Britain’s very first school

Within a few years your rednecks were almost becoming civilised... it's amazing what happens when you finally put an end to in-breeding.....

Anyway it's true as it's in the New Scientist.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2091213-britains-oldest-writing-found-buried-near-london-tube-station/
Boreades

Mick Harper wrote:
I don't follow you, Borry. Is there going to be a Carry On Hadrian film featuring this scene
Hadrian (to his lover): Could you put it infamy?

Wrong infamy.

This was the infamy I meant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvs4bOMv5Xw
Wile E. Coyote

Wile E. Coyote wrote:

"Do you know the building that truly makes my Empire the greatest the world has ever known"

"No Emperor" sighed Antinous

"I order you to guess"

"Was it the huge triumphal arch such as the one at Richborough, Emperor"

"Guess again !"

"Was it the magnificent amphitheatre?"

"No"

"The Basilica, "

"Idiot"

"Ok emperor....I give up"

"Wood, wood!"

"Already....?"

"You imbecile.....it's a clue"..... not a statement of arousal" ..."The most important building is the wooden fort...whenever we conquer we start off by building wooden forts, ....the first stone building comes much later...the military Bathhouse"

"The greatest users of stone have mainly built their empire using wood...bugger me"

"If you insist"

Mick Harper
Site Admin

I think earth comes before wood. The Roman Army built earth ramparted camps every night on the march. However your post reminds me that one more piece of evidence that the Normans more or less directly followed the Romans is that both built stone fortifications and the 'six hundred years' in between didn't.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Normans is Romans with an "N" out front.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Jump to:  
Page 6 of 28

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in