MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Critical Moments (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Here is a funny thing.....

Typology

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typology_(theology)

Typology in Christian theology and Biblical exegesis is a doctrine or theory concerning the relationship of the Old Testament to the New Testament. Events, persons, or statements in the Old Testament are seen as types pre-figuring or superseded by antitypes, events or aspects of Christ or his revelation described in the New Testament. For example, Jonah may be seen as the type of Christ in that he emerged from the fish's belly and thus appeared to rise from death.

In the fullest version of the theory of typology, the whole purpose of the Old Testament is viewed as merely the provision of types for Christ, the antitype or fulfillment. The theory began in the Early Church, was at its most influential in the High Middle Ages, and continued to be popular, especially in Calvinism, after the Protestant Reformation, but in subsequent periods has been given less emphasis.[1] In 19th century German protestantism, typological interpretation was distinguished from rectilinear interpretation of prophecy. The former was associated with Hegelian theologians and the latter with Kantian analyticity. Several groups favoring typology today include the Christian Brethren beginning in the 19th century, where typology was much favoured and the subject of numerous books and the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod.

Notably, in the Eastern Orthodox Church, typology is still a common and frequent exegetical tool, mainly due to that church's great emphasis on continuity in doctrinal presentation through all historical periods. Typology was frequently used in early Christian art, where type and antitype would be depicted in contrasting positions.

The usage of the terminology has expanded into the secular sphere; for example, "Geoffrey de Montbray (d.1093), Bishop of Coutances, a right-hand man of William the Conqueror, was a type of the great feudal prelate, warrior and administrator".[2]

It's not difficult to get your head round the idea, although whether you think it has merit is of course another matter. Basically Jesus acts out things that were prophesied in the old testament. Did Jesus do this knowingly? Or were the prophecies correct? Or did later scribes choose to narrate the Jesus story through the collected wisdom of the Old Testament.

Anyway it is blindingly obvious that this is not just theology. All historians are still accepting what was typology (some are crazily using it themselves) and treating it as a true historical record. They are applying/repeating it in accounts of heroes, villains, kings, queens, saints (often treating it as strange coincidence, or history repeating itself) through the so called Dark Age period and later.

Typology was a useful (probably universal) ancient method of thinking.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Typology was a useful (probably universal) ancient method of thinking
I would be more sympathetic to the theory if you either a) removed the word ancient from that sentence or b) explained what changed.

My own (only?) brush with the phenomenon was a Christian fundamentalist bible-bashing me and, as his peroration soared to its apogee, flinging open the Old Testament at the word Bethlehem and saying, "See, the prophecy was fulfilled." I was much impressed. But later a much less fundamentalist person explained to me that Jesus had to come from Bethlehem because of that prophecy hence the clumsy story about shifting a Galilee family with a heavily pregnant woman off to faraway Bethlehem because of a census. Yeah, right! As if the Romans cared. Or Herod. Or the other Herod because the other Herod died BC. Someone.

Anyway it was handy because another prediction from the Old Testament meant they had to push off to Egypt. And then there was the donkey that had to be ridden into Jerusalem. I'd have said straight out, "A donkey! You can find your own messiah, darling, I wouldn't be seen dead."
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Only yesterday I had a brush with typology, via Cotswold Archaeology on Twitter.

CA tweeted
This week's #FridayFind is not in fact a £1 charity shop offering, it's actually an #AngloSaxon glass bowl! Fragmented on discovery, it was painstakingly recovered during Exercise Shallow Grave, and now reconstructed by Finds Officer, Katie #OpNightingale #CASiteTeam #Archaeology

'Shallow grave' seems odd as you might expect glass fragments to be crushed or maybe pushed to the surface by worms but I merely queried how the glass fragments had been securely dated. For the archaeologists it was apparently just a matter of typology

Many glasses do have a chemical signature that allows them to be dated to a period - Roman/medieval etc. However, this one, as well as site data, is dateable by typology.

What Cotswold Archaeology forbore to mention is that prehistoric/Roman glass has the same typology, or 'chemical signature', as nineteenth-century glass

Soda-lime-silica glass (including soda-ash and natron glass) is typical of the Iron Age, Roman and much of the early medieval periods, and also more recently from the 19th century. This type of glass often survives burial very well.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Jump to:  
Page 4 of 4

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in