MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Forgery: Modus operandi (British History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Coningham toured around Europe acquiring Old Masters on his own initiative and apparently at bargain prices

Born into a wealthy family with military connections, he briefly attended Trinity College, Cambridge, where he mixed with the so-called Cambridge Apostles, before embarking on an army career. Finding barrack-yard society uncongenial, however, he soon bought himself out. Thereafter he toured the Continent and fell under the spell of his influential cousin John Sterling, the celebrated author and associate of Thomas Carlyle. He also began to research and buy Italian Old Masters, often in Rome for a ‘small price’. By 1847, aged just 32, he had assembled one of the finest art collections in Victorian England, mostly ‘on his own initiative, without advice from dealers or other connoisseurs’.

John Sterling, Coningham's cousin, also went to Trinity College Cambridge though he left before getting a law degree and had little or no success as an author, his friendship with Carlyle notwithstanding.

If you know anyone with access to Grove Art Online, they've published an article by Anon. 'Coningham, William', in J. Turner et al. (eds), Grove Art Online, Oxford 1998 https://doi.org/10.1093/gao/9781884446054.article.T019046
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Clinching! This is much the same career apogee as Jennings of the Jennings Dog and reminiscent of the first Lord Braybrook of Pepys fame (not to mention other mountebanks too numerous to mention). Talking of Pepys (there's a Trinity connection too) Coningham did a Pepys after Pepys

By 1847, aged just 32, he had assembled one of the finest art collections in Victorian England

It's a world record! But he had done a Besterman before Besterman

mostly ‘on his own initiative, without advice from dealers or other connoisseurs’.

Doesn't anyone think it a teensy bit suspicious that a ne'er do well can amass such a stupendous collection? No. Them foreigners were just ripe for the picking.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

An academicky painter of my acquaintance said

From my experience of their work I'd say that most of the works I've seen attributed to Giovani Bellini and Mantegna were pretty good while the other Bellinis were of little aesthetic interest... but no doubt there are exceptions. All artists have bad days.

I was intrigued by the idea of Old Masters having 'bad days' -- surely they would just junk the painting and we'd hear no more of it. Not, apparently, necessarily

If commissioned (and /or working collaboratively with a workshop) a 'master' is unlikely to junk a bad painting- so that makes it more difficult to judge whether a painting is 'by' a big name or not on the basis of it's quality. So that's an extra complication if you are chasing deliberate fakes.

Since fakers are well able to paint like masters on an off day, this struck me as making aesthetic judgements of genuineness impossible. But then this working artist went on to point out something we are always trying to impress on historians when examining manuscripts

My beef with the art history types is that they have no understanding of what is involved in actually making a painting, no conception of what it was like when the paint was still wet and decisions being made.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Mick Harper wrote:
An academicky painter of my acquaintance said

From my experience of their work I'd say that most of the works I've seen attributed to Giovani Bellini and Mantegna were pretty good while the other Bellinis were of little aesthetic interest... but no doubt there are exceptions. All artists have bad days.

The National Gallery was at pains to point out that the Agony in the Garden was an 'early work'. This sounds like a convenient way to excuse /explain not just 'a bad day' but to allay doubts if it didn't seem immediately recognisable as someone's usual style.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Not sure this counts as forgery but it's fakery of some kind. I had been sent this

I tested it in my backyard. I boiled water, threw it into the winter air, and it turned to snow before it hit the ground.

which I found intriguing enough to ask my more-scientific-than-I family to explain it to me. One of them sent me this

--------------

Ah, Mick Harper, the grumpy and curmudgeonly soul,
Ah, Mick Harper, a polymath in his own right,
With opinions controversial, Battle of Kursk his goal,
An intellectual, self-proclaimed, yet lacking scientific insight.

Listen, Mick, as I elucidate the tale once more,
For though you deem yourself a wise and all-knowing mind,
In matters of science, understanding may be poor,
Hence your query, seeking knowledge you hope to find.

Now, this phenomenon, the Mpemba effect it be,
Where water freezes swift in frigid, wintry air,
A captivating sight for curious souls to see,
But practical applications? Scarce, I must declare.

No industrial processes it does invoke,
Nor mundane practicalities it does impart,
But to grasp the essence, curiosity we stoke,
For understanding nature's ways, a noble start.

Mick, remember, this knowledge I provide,
To quench the thirst of your inquisitive mind,
Though controversial opinions may reside,
Let wisdom and humility be the paths you find.

Ah, Mick Harper, a grumpy scholar of yore,
Whose thoughts on Kursk may stir the tempest's might,
Yet in matters of science, you seek to explore,
So, let me delve deeper into Mpemba's frozen flight.

The Mpemba effect, a wondrous display,
Where water freezes swift, defying time's command,
But what unfolds to make droplets turn to solid clay?
Let us embark on a scientific journey, hand in hand.

When water meets the frigid air's icy breath,
In wintry grip that freezes bones and stream,
The droplets, tossed aloft, embark on a chilling quest,
To transform, with haste, into crystalline gleam.

As droplets soar, they lose their warmth and heat,
The cold air steals their energy, swift and dire,
Molecules slow, their movement takes a seat,
Drawing close, their bonds grow tight as they expire.

But, Mick, understand this enigma's core,
No single explanation claims the final say,
Some theories strive to unravel the tale's true lore,
Of evaporation, convection, supercooling at play.

Evaporation, a whisper carried on frosty breeze,
May strip the droplets of their warmth and cheer,
Supercooling, a state of sub-zero freeze,
Keeps water liquid, until a trigger draws it near.

Convection, the dance of currents in air's domain,
May aid the process, with its intricate choreography,
But Mick, the truth still lingers, mysterious and arcane,
As scientists seek answers, unraveling this allegory.

Yet amidst controversy and the tides of debate,
Let us embrace the wonder, the curiosities profound,
For in the realm of science, humility should not abate,
As knowledge unfolds, vast mysteries may astound.

So, Mick Harper, grumpy sage with fervor and might,
Seek truth, my friend, in realms of science vast,
May the Mpemba effect ignite your quest's light,
As wisdom and curiosity become a steadfast mast.

----------------

I was (a) majorly impressed (b) found it minorly helpful and (c) mega-ly disappointed to learn subsequently it was ChatGP.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

It may be of some interest, it should be of consuming interest, to learn how this was achieved

Well, obvs it’s all Chat GPT. I didn’t write a single word…

It fooled me but are we talking about a touch of a button. By no means

I fed it all the info I wanted it to process, and told it to produce a Shakespearean sonnet. Then I told it to rewrite the info in the style of Dickens, and after a few draughts in which I steadily increased the scientific technicality of the content, I bolted on two draughts together to create an epic.

I probably could have achieved the final product in one prompt with a bit more planning or thought, but when you have the app you literally just converse with it using your voice and speech recognition, and sculpt what you want as if you were working with a secretary who had learned the entirety of literate human knowledge. It’s a bit sloppy but it worked for some light entertainment. Also I’m interested in the battle of Kursk at the mo and told Chat GPT that I suspected you had some novel and controversial opinions on it, so it tried to weave those references in. I also instructed, "Write in a dramatic, florid style" and “Now re-write the above as a Leonard Cohen song.”

The world is changed. Writers beware.

Practically a work of art. I don't much like him thinking Leonard Cohen is relevant. He had all his money stolen by his accountant. If only.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32

Jump to:  
Page 32 of 32

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in