MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
British History? You needn't bother (British History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

I probably should not bother with British History as I was booted out of class, so didn't get any grounding about anything pre twentieth century.

Still, this, which I now presume is bog standard ortho, did give me a jolt.

Prior to the arrival of Augustine of Canterbury in England in 597 education was an oral affair, or followed the Roman model in diaspora and integrated families.[2]

The earliest known organized schools in England were connected to the church. Augustine established a church in Canterbury (which later became St Augustine's Abbey) in 598, which included a school for the study of religious texts, and in 604 this was joined by another school at what is now Rochester Cathedral. Further schools were established throughout the British Isles in the seventh and eighth centuries, generally following one of two forms: grammar schools to teach Latin, and song schools to train singers for cathedral choirs.[3]

During the Middle Ages, schools were established to teach Latin grammar to the sons of the aristocracy destined for priesthood or monastic work with the ministry of government or the law. Two universities were established in affiliation with the church: the University of Oxford, followed by the University of Cambridge, to assist in the further training of the Catholic Christian clergy. A reformed system of "free grammar schools" was established in the reign of Edward VI; these too provided routes towards priesthood. Apprenticeship was the main way for youths to enter practical occupations.

Most probably as it reads like Hollow Talk
And then you cut
You cut it out
And everything
Goes back to the beginning

Don't believe me?
in England in 597 education was an oral affair, or followed the Roman model in diaspora and integrated families
Apprenticeship was the main way for youths to enter practical occupations.

This could have been simplified to.... You learn around the extended home and then, if you leave or get booted out or orphaned etc, it's a case of on the job, you learn as an apprentice, whatever. That was the way for most of us throughout British history, well before the Tudors..... so they say.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

The way the Harper History of Britain (aka RevHist) puts it is like this (re Dark Age Wales)

It is easy enough for a charismatic preacher to carry his congregation along with him, several congregations, but what about the next generation? Christianity, like Islam, is a religion of the book, so preaching Christianity requires someone to be copying out the scriptures and someone teaching the next generation of saints how to read them.

So Welsh schools predated English schools! On a general note, surely schools must be coeval with civilisation. It is true that literacy was limited to the upper echelons but not all those echelons would have the wherewithal to employ private tutors -- or would even particularly want to. So schools would be at least one-per-posh neighbourhood.-- and that applies to England and Wales as much as everywhere else.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Jump to:  
Page 3 of 3

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in