MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Beer (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

I guess I am slow to spot this, but beer is now being treated like wine.

"A golden beer with a fresh citrus, hoppy aroma. This organic ale has a dry and bitter finish and is great with Asian food."

Which is bit like saying lager and vindaloo.

All your so-called craft beers are now being paired with proper world grub and not just your boring ploughmans.

I really can't smell the citrus hoppy aroma, but I am happy that I can have a cold beer with my curry on the grounds it complements my takeaway, and for the first time ever, I now appear sophisticated.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I am happy that I can have a cold beer with my curry on the grounds it complements my takeaway

Not in the restaurant though where they insist on giving you Kingfisher. I am still awaiting the relaunch of (the apparently failed launch of) Oasis, beer flavoured water. Tesco always axes anything I take a fancy to. Next it it was cheapest-but-also-best Danish salami, then toffee apple flavoured pulled pork and now basic garlic sausage. Who'd be a foodie on a limited budget?
Wile E. Coyote

Your folks at ratebeer have introduced maths into beer tasting

https://www.ratebeer.com

You assess scientifically......

Aroma 8/10
Appearance 4/5
Taste 9/10
Palate 3/5
Overall 18/20.

There is of course a more subjective review section as well.....

It's a heady (addictive isn't it) combination of precise calculation and fuzzy thinking.

It is there to work out what is good beer. Which then means that you can buy and consume good beer.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I wouldn't wear a lab coat to my local. It's the one Christie used. Best not to stand out.
Wile E. Coyote

Say farewell to your "Village Bike" "Filthy Brunette" "Leg Spreader" "New balls please".

liberals are morally and culturally superior, to the rest of us.

"May I have half of Prudence, barperson"

"That will be £14.60, it's a very popular brand."

"I don't suppose you would like to go for a movie later?"

"Sorry, I don't like guys that drink Prudence"

"Err" "Can I switch to a Bottoms Up?"

"That will be £15.80"

"Umm" "Would you?"

"Fuck off"
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

I'm sticking to the Bishop's Finger.

Which is not, as I first thought, a smutty joke about why the bishop's finger is brown.

It takes its name from the finger-shaped signposts which pointed pilgrims on their way to the tomb of Thomas a Becket in Canterbury and was the first strong ale to be brewed by Shepherd Neame after malt rationing was eased in the late 1950s. It is also one of the UK's oldest bottled beers, brewed since 1958.

Even before CAMRA?

Bishops Finger holds EU Protected Geographical Indication, recognising its unique provenance. Uniquely, it is brewed to a charter which states it can only be brewed by the head brewer on a Friday and that it must be brewed using 100% natural ingredients, Kentish hops and barley, and the brewery's own artesian mineral water.

That reminds me, I'm running low on the beer and gin brewed a mile up the road, using local produce and spring water. Just in case there's a roadblock in the next village, I'm just self-certifying myself on the form.

[X] Journey for essential supplies.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

after malt rationing was eased in the late 1950s

We all had to line up every morning so the school dinner lady could give us a spoonful of malt -- a treacly brown substance, which you had to really get your mouth round to get it off the spoon. The spoon was then placed in a basin of water to join the other four that was considered sufficient for a class of forty-five. I later learned all this was a hidden subsidy to brewers who were producing an excess of malt and Marmite could not take it all.

This is not to be confused with the (third of a pint) bottle of milk at playtime we were all forced to drink. I later learned this was a hidden subsidy to dairy farmers who were making an excess of the stuff.

I, alone of my class, had to take another bottle in the afternoon because the district psychiatrist had prescribed this as a cure for my nightmares. I later learned I was a hidden subsidy to psychiatrists of which there was an excess following the war, and there was nothing wrong with me at all, the nightmares were just a mute protest at being brought up in Catford SE 6. They ceased entirely when we moved to Hither Green SE 13.
Boreades

Mick Harper wrote:
I wouldn't wear a lab coat to my local. It's the one Christie used. Best not to stand out.

Apologies for being confused by the ambiguity. Was Christie wearing the lab coat or visiting the local?
Boreades

More local alcoholic news.

Our local brewery also manufactures vodka and gin. It's just started producing an "alcohol hand sanitiser"

Alcohol Hand Sanitiser has been specifically created following the WHO recommended formula, it is 78% (ABV) alcohol which means it is fully effective in killing and breaking down viruses and bacteria when applied to hands or hard surfaces. Now available in 250ml Twin Packs, Family Packs of 4 & cases of 12. Ideal for use in the home, or keeping in the car or your bag.

£15.00 for 250ml, or £52.80 for 5 litre refill.

Their normal vodka and gin is 40% ABV, £38.00 for 70cl - so this looks like it's twice the usual strength.

Use as a "mouthwash" for medical purposes only - it could be lethal stuff!
Boreades

Part Three of the ongoing saga of my efforts to organise a vertically-oriented micturation session in a beverage production facility.

I'm steadfastly continuing my efforts to prop up my local brewery (financially speaking) despite Lockdown. The dash down backlanes and country roads to the brewery and back is quite exciting. It's almost like my ancestors on the Smugglers' Whisky Roads. Apart from we're not in Scotland, and we're not smuggling and there aren't Customs & Excise road blocks. So?

Although I might need all the furniture at home to prop me up while I dispose of the evidence (with the most green natural recycling method available).

#1 Son expressed concern that this might have an effect on my finances. Or perhaps his inheritance, who knows? I assured him the empty bottles may one day be valuable collectors' items.

So he tried a different tack. What about my liver? I assured him it's still where I left it. No (he says), you've got Celtic genes and it says here ...

Men should be screened for 'Celtic gene' to reduce liver cancer cases, scientists urge

Haemochromatosis, the Western world's most common genetic disorder, causes sufferers to absorb too much iron from their diet. Its accumulation around the body can cause organ damage. More than seven per cent of men with the disorder will develop liver cancer by the age of 75, compared with 0.6 per cent of the general population, according to projections by researchers at the University of Exeter.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/11/24/men-should-screened-celtic-gene-reduce-liver-cancer-cases-scientists/

.. that you are more likely to suffer ill effects.

It took me no more than five seconds to spot a potentially huge flaw in their research.

"Celtic" people tend to live on the western side of Britain. Where the geology (and water supply) is much richer in iron content than the eastern side or the south-east coast, and even teetotal people may be getting too much iron.

The corollary needs checking as well: do some people (in the east and south) have an iron deficiency because of that lack of iron in the water supply (and/or diet)?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Where do I stand, Borry? I take two iron pills daily, prescribed for anaemia many years ago, and which I continue to take on the "what the hell, it can't hurt" principle, and my mother is from the Channel Islands which reputedly have a Celtic heritage. I do not drink alcohol.
Boreades

Go west young man.

More specifically: to anywhere in the western part of Britain with Red Sandstone.

The familiar red colour of these rocks arises from the presence of iron oxide

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Red_Sandstone

Drink the local tap water and/or grow vegetables in the red sandy soil.

Named places include:

The Orcadian Basin extends over a wide area of North East Scotland and the neighbouring seas. It encompasses the Moray Firth and adjoining land areas, Caithness, Orkney and parts of Shetland.

a scatter of exposures of the Old Red Sandstone around Oban and the Isle of Kerrera

Midland Valley of Scotland

Anglo-Welsh Basin ... across much of South Wales from southern Pembrokeshire in the west through Carmarthenshire into Powys and Monmouthshire and through the southern Welsh Marches, notably into Herefordshire, Worcestershire and Gloucestershire.

Mid Severn Sandstone Plateau .. straddling the border between Shropshire and Staffordshire.

Or the South Devon coast, most of Cornwall's coastline, and most of the North Devon coast (but not East and West Devon)

Refs:
https://www.geolsoc.org.uk/GeositesDawlish

http://earthwise.bgs.ac.uk/index.php/Bedrock_Geology_UK_South:_Devonian_and_the_Old_Red_Sandstone

http://earthwise.bgs.ac.uk/index.php/Bedrock_Geology_UK_South:_Devonian_and_the_Old_Red_Sandstone#/media/File:P785844.jpg
Boreades

Of all the Red Sandstone places, I'd recommend Dawlish. Just for the AEL-fun of having a Black Swan Event every day.

https://dawlish.com/article/details/9

Meanwhile, our local brewery has started selling its beer at £3 a pint.

A good small-batch beer contains iron, magnesium, bone-protecting silicone and heart-protective antioxidants

Perhaps you could brew your own non-alcoholic beer?

Beer has several health benefits. One of them is the probiotic content of non-alcoholic beer. Beer contains probiotics like yogurt does

https://homebrewacademy.com/how-to-brew-non-alcoholic-beer/
Boreades

Health notes:

Hops is mostly used as a sedative and recommended for restlessness, insomnia and nervous complaints. It is particularly useful for nervous conditions of the digestive system as the bitter principles combined with the calming effect can ease nervous indigestion. The bitter principles also act on the liver.

That means beer helps you sleep.

Furthermore, Hops is a diuretic and is used to reduce oedematous swellings or to help flush metabolic waste from the system in certain types of arthritis and gout.

That means you wake up at 3am and need to go for a pee.

A pillow stuffed with hop flowers can be used to aid sleeplessness.

That means you'll have no trouble getting back to sleep.

Hops has estrogenic compounds, which among chronic users of beer may result in enlarged breasts.

That means you get moobs.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Perhaps you could brew your own non-alcoholic beer?

I'd love to, I love the stuff. Shop-bought suffers from (1) it's just as expensive and as fattening as the real thing and (2) beer flavoured water is extremely cheap, non-fattening, nearly as good as the real thing so it has been withdrawn from sale. "You can have Mandalay Fig & Apricot flavoured water, guv, but beer-flavoured? No demand."

I did go in for some DIY recently in the form of a Sodastream system. Fabulous except heavy duty fizzers like me have to press the button so enthusiastically the CO2 canister runs out after a week and I can't afford £25 on a new one at that rate. Heroin is cheaper. Anyone interested in a £75 Sodastream (one not-very careful owner)?
Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in