MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Chappaquiddick (Politics)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I have returned to this after several years because of my recent effusions about Profumo (over on the Terrorist thread, for some reason) to see if there are any lessons to be learned. After watching a fairly heavyweight two-hour re-investigation (my only formal exposure since the events themselves) it turns out that Ishmael's theories might be rather prescient.

1. The programme came to the cautious conclusion that Kennedy couldn't have been in the car when it went over and under. Their scenario is that Kennedy and Mary Jo were nookying in the car by the side of the road, the police car that reported seeing the car was spotted in the rear view mirror and Kennedy, not wishing to be caught over the limit and with a woman not his wife, took off like a bat out of hell. Up the road apiece, he got out and told Mary Jo to take the car to wherever. She, being drunk and unfamiliar with the roads, took the wrong turning and drove off the bridge. Kennedy knew nothing about any of this until the next morning.

2. This, in my opinion, suffers from over-elaboration and under-motivation, though does not contradict any major facts and does explain some minor ones.

3. Ishmael's idea of Mary Jo dying earlier at the party allows for the body being sat in the car and then the car being driven off the bridge (tricky but do-able especially given Kennedy's access to all kinds of emergency expertise).

4. It is supported by the Kennedy clan moving might and main (and Pennsylvania where the inquest was held, it being Mary Jo's home state) to ensure no autopsy was done despite various parents, coroners, judges and the entire US population demanding one. Presumably it would have revealed the drugs and/or auto-asphyxiation.

Real conspiracy theorists should note it was the night of the Moon landing. Probably the Kennedys faked it to distract attention.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Jump to:  
Page 4 of 4

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in