MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Bad news. (Health)
Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

The Coyote has a crap diet. He can't catch a Roadrunner, so tends to snack whilst inventing crackpot ideas.

Still up to now there was healthy part to his diet. Coffee.

Health study after health study pointed to the benefits of it.

Not any more....... Starbucks and others are soon to be putting up signs in their outlets in California.

So no more whores breakfasts for Wiley, science says you can cop it with a cappuccino. You will likely end up late, if you have a Latte.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2018/02/01/coffee-shops-in-california-may-soon-post-cancer-warnings-is-there-good-science-here/#93a7ca75ed00

Please post suggestions for a nice cup of herbal tea.
N R Scott

In: Middlesbrough

John le Bon (the guy who did the Bitcoin/Tether video I linked to) often talks of the possible "nocebo" effect of stuff like this. For example, he says it could be possible that the warnings on cigarette packets are causing more cancer than the actual cigarettes.

The nocebo effect is the opposite of the placebo effect.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Bad news for teetotallers?

The status-quo is well known.

In 1979, the government advised men to drink no more than 56 units of alcohol a week. This was later reduced to 36 units, then 28 units and then 21 units. Last month, the Chief Medical Officer reduced it once again, this time to 14 units. Upon announcing this, she also asserted that there is no safe level of drinking and that the health benefits of moderate alcohol consumption were ‘an old wives tale’.

Sadly, the Chief Medical Officer has form. Of policy that's not based on scientific evidence.

The graph represents the relationship between alcohol consumption and mortality. It is, I think, well known that the relationship is J-shaped. This particular J-curve is based on 34 prospective epidemiological studies which collect data on how much people drink and then follow them over a period of years with a view to seeing if they die and what they die of. As this graph shows, the risk of death declines substantially at low levels of alcohol consumption and then rises, but it does not reach the level of a teetotaller until the person is consuming somewhere between 40 and 60 grams of alcohol a day, which is to say between 35 and 50 units a week.

Put it another way, unless you are drinking more than 45 units a week, being a teetotaller is more dangerous.

And this is based on the number of units that people say they drink.

The amount of alcohol sold in the UK is about twice the amount that people claim to drink, so unless we throw away a huge amount of booze, it is certain that people either forget about how much they drink or they deliberately lie to researchers. In either case, we can assume that the people who say they consume two drinks a day are probably consuming three or four drinks, in which case the amount that you have to drink to assume the same level of risk as a non-drinker is even more than this graph suggests.

https://health.spectator.co.uk/the-great-alcohol-cover-up-how-public-health-bodies-hid-the-truth-about-drinking/

On which basis, it looks like we can safely say : Drink up to 90 units a week and still be as safe as a teetotaller.

Reckoning a bottle of wine to have 12 units, that's at least one bottle a day, every day of the week.

Cheers!
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Quite fascinating. And as a non-drinker (causes migraines), a bit depressing. I presume what is actually being measured is 'happiness' in some guise or other and that is linked to longevity. Very heavy drinkers are presumptively unhappy. As a happy person I should be all right so long as smugness is not a mortality indicator.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Boreades wrote:
Upon announcing this, she also asserted...

"She."

Females have long stood between men and drink. Same old story.
Boreades

Ishmael wrote:

"She."

We mix in different circles. In my clan, it's the females that brew the strongest drink. And challenge the menfolk to drink it - if they dare.
Boreades

Oh, by the way, (for males) drinking some alcohol improves the sperm count

https://health.spectator.co.uk/moderate-alcohol-consumption-boosts-male-fertility/

And teetotallers are more likely to get dementia.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/moderate-drinkers-less-likely-to-get-dementia-than-teetotallers-n3npbplv0
Ishmael

In: Toronto

I've recently;y adopted a carnivore diet. I'm at about 80% meat for my food source. Seems to have diminished my appetite. Combined with intermittent fasting I've lost now about 12 lbs in two months.

It was years ago that Mick proposed agricultural food stocks were originally developed only for animal feed but humans discovered we could eat them too, after our guts were colonized by the appropriate bacteria. Question is though, was that adoption of grains and cereals harmful to our bodies in some way? There is evidence this might be so.

Bigger question---could we possibly feed the human race without cereals and grains? I doubt it!
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I've recently adopted a carnivore diet

This is in fact the Atkins Diet (and everyone's diet up until 3000 BC). One gets heartily sick of it such is our new found craving for carbohydrates. Egg and bacon without toast. Ugh! That's pancakes with maple syrup to you, Ishmael.
Boreades

Boreades wrote:
Ishmael wrote:
"She."

We mix in different circles. In my clan, it's the females that brew the strongest drink. And challenge the menfolk to drink it - if they dare.

That reminds me, it was an excellent way for the females to find out which of the males had the highest sperm count. I'm proud to say I've already passed that test.
Boreades

The NHS senior leadership is revolting - according to the newsletter just in.

Sir Trevor defends revolving door

Sir Trevor Longstay has hit out at proposals designed to make it harder for failed NHS directors to get new jobs with no questions asked.

The chief executive of NHS Blithering Teaching Hospitals Foundation Trust and leader of the Blithering ICS dismissed a proposal by Tom Kark QC that directors’ references should be a true reflection of their character and abilities as “needlessly punitive”. The proposal is with the Department of Health and Social Care.

If the scheme is adopted it would compel NHS trusts to provide complete references in place of the watered down or redacted testimonials negotiated under compromise agreements. These allow executives departing under a cloud and the organisations that employed them to save face.
Critics say the current rules perpetuate the “revolving door” which allows failed managers to move from organisation to organisation without ever being held accountable for their failures.
Sir Trevor warned that a more transparent approach could create a new generation of bland, risk-averse leaders.

“I worry that we are putting too much emphasis on things like achievement and ability and not enough on character and the cut of a fellow’s jib,” he said.

Quis custodiet? - I do

Sir Trevor is puzzled when asked who guards the guardians. “That’s clearly a role for the chief executive supported by an understanding chair and an acquiescent board,” he said.

“If we start insisting on clarity and full disclosure in references, where will it all end? Next we’ll be asking the HR department to check them – it’s bureaucracy gone mad.”

“If we want to encourage the cream of the talent into top NHS roles, the last thing we need is a level playing-field. Senior people won’t come forward if they think their track record might be held against them or if they feel that there’s one rule for them and the same rule for everyone else.”

The growth of a blame culture could drive talented leaders out of the NHS, he warned.

“If someone makes a mistake and the media gets wind of it, the individual should be permitted to issue a statement saying how sorry they are, that they have learned from it and that it has made them a better and more humble leader. They should then be allowed to get on with the job.

Climate of fear

"This constant focus on incompetence and wrongdoing is unhelpful and creates a climate of fear. I’m a strong believer in compassion, forgiveness and second chances, particularly for very senior managers.”

Asked about the Nolan principles, which set out standards in public life, Sir Trevor said they were “useful in the right hands, but not for everyone”.

“I used to caddy for Michael [Lord Nolan] and he was always rather surprised that everyone took his principles so literally. Everyone knew that he dreamt them up on the front nine one day and scribbled them on the back of his scorecard. We used to laugh about it in the clubhouse.”

Probity editor: Julian Patterson
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Here is Owen in the Guardian

The Luftwaffe did not chalk up such a gruesome death toll. During the blitz, 43,000 civilians died, an average of 175 each day, a national trauma that is seared in Britain’s collective memory. In the past 100 days, the number of reported excess deaths linked to Covid-19 – which England’s chief medical officer, Chris Whitty, declares “the key metric” – has reached 65,700, a daily mortality rate far deadlier than the Nazi onslaught on British towns and cities between September 1940 and May 1941.

Scandalous? Yes. Criminal? Certainly. But inevitable? No.

It's bad news but Owen was actually reining it in. He might have added in the 120,000 excess deaths that were, according to him and the British Medical Journal, killed by government policy of austerity between 2010 and 2016, this was even before Covid struck.

The headline should have been that the Tories are 4 times deadlier than fascist bombers. Bastards.

It only goes to show how much better things could be.
Boreades

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
It only goes to show how much better things could be.

"Things can only get better?"

Might yet be re-released as the New-New-Labour's official anthem, now that Starmer has got his reshuffle completed.
Boreades

Bloody NHS.

Medical colleagues have been quietly reporting on a new low-level ailment that's going round the UK. It coincides with any decent period of warm dry weather. Like a proper summer. Patients report feeling fatigued, dizzy or faint, sometimes slightly nauseous, but the severest symptom is getting painful cramps in arms and legs.

What is this ailment? I could tease you with a list of things it might be (but isn't).

It is, very simply, salt deficiency.

Caused by the double-whammy of:
(a) believing the NHS hype about not putting salt on or in your food
(b) drinking too much water

The effect of (b) is to over-dilute the already too-low levels of salt in our bodies. Sodium Chloride (in solution) is a crucial component of the body’s electrical impulse transmission system. This means it’s a vital part of helping the heartbeat and nerve signals sent around the body. When your blood sodium levels are low, these important functions can start to go haywire.

Read and weep at the official guidance, with not a sniff or a whisper that people actually need salt in their diets.
https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/food-types/salt-in-your-diet/
Mick Harper
Site Admin

We have closed your NHS login account. This is because you have not logged in to a health and care website or app using your NHS login in the last 2 years.

Charming. You pay in all your life and just when you need them they don't want to know.
Reply to topic

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in