MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
This Really Makes me Sick! (Health)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Chad wrote:
Don't know... s'pose somebody must have.

I have found surprising how often this supposition proves unfounded.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Don't know... s'pose somebody must have.

The correct sequence when you have a new idea is this
1. Assume that nobody else has had the idea.
2. Possession of this new idea means that de facto you are potentially now the world authority on this subject
3. Proceed on this basis to begin wholesale revision of said subject.

Always remember: if you haven't heard the idea before, chances are nobody else has either because in our intellectual world all ideas have universal currency. So it matters not a jot whether anybody else has had the idea since s/he has never made use of it. The tragedy is, nor will you. Ya pouf.
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

The answer lies in sunshine.

The current obsession with avoiding the sun at all costs and slapping on copious amounts of sunblock, is leading to an increase in all sorts of diseases associated with vitamin D insufficiency... Alzheimer's and cancer (except for skin cancer due to burning) amongst them.

Many parts of the body have been shown to have Vitamin D receptors... the brain, prostate, breast (common cancer sites)... vitamin D regulates cell production at these sites.

Vitamin D has been shown to be beneficial in the treatment of both diseases.

Low rates of Alzheimer's and cancer in the Mediterranean and India have been attributed to diet but I'm sure the amount of photosynthesis going on is also an important factor... Vitamin D is synthesised in the skin from cholesterol... Low sun levels -- high cholesterol levels (also on the increase).

The list of other diseases which have recently been associated with low vitamin D levels is staggering... and every one I've checked so far is more common in less sunny regions... and on the increase in health-conscious western society.

The only groups of people who escape the sun-trap are those (like the Japanese) whose seafood diets contain high levels of... you guessed it... vitamin D.
Ishmael

Congratulations.

You just cured Cancer.

And Alzheimer's.

I too have long suspected that Vitamin D was the culprit -- of course I gathered this from discussion of the subject by others.

This is new:

The list of other diseases which have recently been associated with low vitamin D levels is staggering... and every one I've checked so far is more common in less sunny regions... and on the increase in health-conscious western society.

The only groups of people who escape the sun-trap are those (like the Japanese) whose seafood diets contain high levels of... you guessed it... vitamin D.
Ishmael

Consistent.

A study found that every hour spent in front of the television per day brings with it an 11 percent greater risk of premature death from all causes, and an 18 percent greater risk of dying from cardiovascular disease.
Chad

Japan has lower rates [of Alzheimer's] than the United States. Japanese men who live in Hawaii experience higher Alzheimer's rates, while stroke levels remain unchanged. In Japan, the ratio of AD to vascular dementia is generally less than 1, whereas in Hawaii it was 1.5. Typical ratios in the United States and Europe are 2 or more. Greater consumption of fish is a likely factor in this difference.

Which brings us nicely back to the idea of fish as brain food... and the salmon (of wisdom) is one of the oily fish highest in vitamin D.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Low rates of Alzheimer's and cancer in the Mediterranean and India have been attributed to diet but I'm sure the amount of photosynthesis going on is also an important factor... Vitamin D is synthesised in the skin from cholesterol

A well-known public health issue arose in Tower Hamlets when Bangladeshi women started developing rickets and other vitamin-D deficiency symptoms. The women were covered up to deal with Asian sunshine and so didn't get enough in East London.

Two assumptions flow: that populations appear to evolve the correct amount of clothing to avoid vitamin deficiency, and that this evolved behaviour might get associated with one thing (sexual modesty) when in reality it is something else (sunblock).

PS However, it might be a) that Bangladeshi women were allowed out less in London than in Dacca or b) that fish from the Bay of Bengal was eaten rather more than tinned sardines and fried cod.
Chad

Rickets is on the increase even in the US where people are spending less time exposed to sunshine... and the growing, dark skinned (naturally sun-blocked) Hispanic population are adopting more European lifestyles and inhabiting more temperate regions.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Funny that, after mentioning being snow-bound for the past week had an e-mail from my sister recommending Vit D (and leggings). Off to the chemist.

Apparently herring has about four times the amount of D than salmon. The other day my son said en passant that the Dutch are the tallest race in the world (didn't query if he's correct, he's bigger than me).

Your link with Alzheimer's, Chad, is quite mind-blowing (no pun intended).
Brian Ambrose

Cod liver oil is of course well known for being rich in vitamin D, but if you go for pills you should buy the d-3 variety.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

At primary school I was given a teaspoon of cod liver oil every morning and now I am the greatest brain in the known universe.
Leon

Mick Harper wrote:
Always remember: if you haven't heard the idea before, chances are nobody else has either

Some years ago I had the idea, which I had not encountered anywhere, that "drugs" were illegalised, specifically marihuana (1937), so that the mafia(s) in the US could compensate for the revenues lost in the repeal of prohibition (1934), and that continued illegalisation rests on the same motive, including regular payoffs to legislators of course.

I wrote an article on the subject, which I couldn't get published, and sent it to a friend in California, who said, Everybody knows that, all my friends here say the same thing. This wasn't surprising, it's so obvious I assumed that it must have occurred to a lot of people. But you never see this viewpoint in print - which leads me to the conclusion that it's an illegal idea.
Ishmael

No. What happened was that you had an original idea.

You can always recognize these by the fact that everyone else also already thought of it.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This is true and for a reason that tells us a great deal about the human brain. As most of you here know, the human brain is wired in long chains that permit bits of new information to be added to ad infinitum, either at the end of a chain or by new branches off. It can even be altered at these tips under certain circumstances. However a chain cannot be altered at the trunk, and certainly never replaced root-and-branch, because the brain cannot predict what other changes will then be necessary to other chains which might or might not intersect.. So it just refuses such demands for change, no matter how urgent the rational demandings.

The one thing that can play merry hell with this life-long system is the New Idea, since the brain cannot immediately tell what effect this will have and therefore what action it must take. This is why new ideas are either avoided at source (eg all our friends share all our views) or dismissed with degrees of contempt. But occasionally one gets through (for instance it comes from a friend). In this case the brain simply reports that 'we knew it all the time' thereby being able to ignore it in the usual way.
Ishmael

Ishmael wrote:
No. What happened was that you had an original idea.

That said, your explanation is overly-complex.

Right motive. Wrong culprit.

It was law-enforcement and the punitive branches of government that required a replacement cash-cow and had the means to create one. The Mafiosos may have had a motive but they had only indirect means (via government influence) and that is one wrinkle too many when a simpler solution is available.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Jump to:  
Page 3 of 7

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in