MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Serpent's Tale (History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

The grael site shows that in British lore references to dragons are relatively late, post-Norman at least, which would support the green man book argument. I shall order it and check.
aurelius

Out Of Their Skin

The Dusuns of Borneo are just one people from island Sundaland who Frazer and his apostle Oppenheimer cite as holding on to a ‘cast skin’ motif in connection with the tribe's religious mythology. In their version, humans did not have immortality initially but missed out when it was offered to creation. The Dusuns did not hear their god address them but the snakes did, ensuring they would only henceforth die through human agency. This story is repeated with minor variations elsewhere in the region and eastwards into Melanesia. In Samoa, immortality for humankind is ruled out by a divine committee. In fact, in contrast to Southeast Asia where mortality is due to human incompetence, in all of the Pacific myths the option is never given: the gods make an executive decision against. Samoa is the most eastern outpost of the ‘never cast skin’ motif and also the only one where a snake/serpent does not figure.

The alternative scenario is that humankind was originally granted everlasting life, but voluntarily relinquished the privilege, as is believed by the Vanuatuans and others. The recurring vector here is a woman, rather than a reptile: for example, the story of a child who didn't recognise his mother after she shed her skin so she put her old one back on and thenceforth we were all doomed to be mortal. Frazer believed the loss of granted immortality is the older tradition.

Oppenheimer goes to great lengths to describe cast skin stories and considers them as primal as the Tree Of Life and Moon immortality motifs. As the overall mythology spread in all directions new variations appeared (e.g. in African cultures it is an incompetent or perverted messenger that does for humans), and some of the core elements lost their power the further away they spread. The Genesis story is a case in point. Much travelled, the Tree Of Life became a low-key ‘given’, the Moon redundant and the serpent's mortality ambiguous.

To those who may argue the 'biblical' elements were seeded by Christianity - an ethno and Eurocentric view - Oppenheimer argues that because the most undeveloped forms of the three motifs are found among tribes, like the native Australians, who had led isolated land-locked lives before encountering the missionaries, it helps to prove their forms are older than Christianity.
aurelius

The Tree Of Life: 7, The Yew

There is one problem with the previous examples as a ‘tree of life’: In the Eddas, Yggdrasil is described as “a winter-green needle-ash”. Unfortunately many have interpreted this to mean it was an ash tree, which is, of course, becomes bare in winter. Granted, deciduousness is not fatal to the concept of immortality; but evergreen-ness does gild the lily.

The yew, Taxus baccata, has a wide distribution from Ireland to southern Turkey, as far north as Norway and Sweden, also the Caucasus to northern Iran, from Nepal to Japan and throughout much of South East Asia and Indonesia. It also grows in the temperate United States and Canada.
http://www.conifers.org/ta/i/02.jpg

Fraxinus excelsior cannot compete with this range, though another Fraxinus species, chinensis is widespread across er... China. Taxus baccata is therefore the only species of our World Tree contenders that could exist in the wild in Europe and putative Eden locations either east of Lake Van or the engulfed Sundaland.

Yew is tall, (though not the tallest type of tree) and capable of developing considerable girth – maybe 20’ before hollowing out and then on to 52’ in the case of the expanded and celebrated Fortingall Yew. It can grow as an understory to taller trees. Because the branches tend to spread wide from the trunk a yew can offer considerable shelter and adjacent yews may easily become intertwined. A more peculiar habit of the yew’s growth is that

Its branches grow down into the ground to form new stems, which then rise up around the old central growth as separate but linked trunks. After a time, they cannot be distinguished from the original tree. So the yew has always been a symbol of death and rebirth...

https://www.druidry.org/library/trees/tree-lore-yew

It is a conifer but with vestigial ‘cones’. Male and female flowers usually grow on separate trees, the red aril containing the seed developing on the female trees. I say “usually” because a 2015 report shows old Fortingall may be transitioning...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-34700033
Hatty
Site Admin

So the yew has always been a symbol of death and rebirth...

Do you think so? Surely that's true of trees in general, what with seasonal changes (and human assistance such as coppicing, layering and of course planting).

It may be the hypothesis is trying to validate a situation after the fact. Yew trees are associated with churchyards, ergo they are 'symbols of death and rebirth' but obviously yew trees often have earlier roots than churches.

Yew mythology seems to stem from 'Dark Age' Irish tales, the sources for which have no dates. But whether the stories are authentic or not is immaterial -- they're clearly written far, far later than the 'Druid Age'. Introducing Druids into the picture is reminiscent of the manipulations of history we looked at in monastic charters. The claim to a property needs to be very ancient and endorsed by a priestly or kingly authority figure.

The link you gave puts Druids and yew trees in a twelfth-century context

Ownership of a yew-tree is the cause of a great battle in the twelfth century tale, ‘Yew Tree of the Disputing Sons’. The tree's high status is also shown in an Irish tale from the Historical Cycle in which a swine herd dreamed he saw a yew tree upon a rock, with an oratory in front of it. Angels ascended and descended from a flagstone at the threshold. He told a druid who interpreted the dream to mean that the rock would be the seat of Kings of Munster from that day forth, and the first king would be he who kindled a fire beneath the yew.
aurelius

The link you gave puts Druids and yew trees in a twelfth-century context

The link I gave was mainly intended as a footnote reference so people could see where I got that particular quote from. I was looking for a succinct description of the way yews grew/aged/spread.

I'll have to return to the death/rebirth aspect.
aurelius

I haven't read all of his book, but Ronald Hutton provides an excellent scrutiny of the historicity or lack of hard evidence for the original druids in Blood And Mistletoe: The History Of Druids In Britain. Should have some appeal to AEists.
Hatty
Site Admin

Thanks, Auro. Hutton is a leading authority on paganism in Britain and worth checking out.

Incidentally, mistletoe is generally supposed to be a fertility symbol even though it is the exact opposite!
aurelius

Introducing Druids into the picture

Druids are not central to where I am going with this thread and I realise they have been over-romanticised but I do think the accounts of Caesar, Lucan etc. are sourcing their commentary on something real.

They both had agendas but Lucan's detail of "interlacing boughs" is characteristic. Other details sound hallucinogenic or lost in translation/time such as the trees falling and rising again (they can spread this way though, given the chance) and the flames among the trunks (the heartwood of the yew is orangey red) as well as an association with serpents are of interest to me.

So the yew has always been a symbol of death and rebirth...

Do you think so? Surely that's true of trees in general, what with seasonal changes (and human assistance such as coppicing, layering and of course planting).

I take this point but yes, I do think so. In Greece yews were sacred to Hecate and the Romans thought yews grew in hell. Not uniquely though, as other trees seem to be accorded similar associations in other cultures.
Hatty
Site Admin

The yew is said to be native to the UK but not to Ireland. Might be said of Druids too. There's no controversy over Caesar's and other accounts of Druids in England and Wales, what seems odd is the link between yews and Druids in Irish lore.

Ireland has no Roman heritage nor a Roman Christian past. Nor, as far as anyone knows, any Druids, no Romans being on hand to to record them. In places that do have a Druid connection, the 'sacred groves' are generally thought to be oak trees.
aurelius

The yew is said to be native to the UK but not to Ireland

5000 years is good enough for me -

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1469-8137.1990.tb00486.x/pdf
Hatty
Site Admin

aurelius wrote:
5000 years is good enough for me

Maybe, maybe not. The writer seems unsure.

The yew wood appears to have developed at least 3000, but probably 5000 years ago

There's a marked difference between three and five thousand. The main problem with dating yews is a lack of tree rings due to the trees' tendency to hollow out with age.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Language is important in academic papers when careful ignoral is suspected. I read this as "I have no specific evidence as to the age of yews in Ireland but I don't want to say anything that smacks of it either being a specially early adopter (i.e. 12,000 years ago, straight after the Ice Age) or artificially introduced (1000 - 5,000 years ago). Nothing to see here."

As of course may well be the case.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

aurelius wrote:
Druids are not central to where I am going with this thread and I realise they have been over-romanticised but I do think the accounts of Caesar, Lucan etc. are sourcing their commentary on something real.

Druids may be based on something real. But it wasn't in Britain.
aurelius

The Vanishing Yew

Remarkably, pollen counts from peat bogs suggest the great forests which returned to Europe after the glaciers retreated consisted of nearly 80% Yew trees. The waxy, spindle-leaves of conifers in general and yew in particular are well adapted to reduce water loss in cold, dry environments.
https://catuvellauni.wordpress.com/the-yew-tree/

This is a remarkable thought today, with pure yew woodlands being so scarce. It took taken a specific act of conservation led by the ecologist Sir Arthur Tansley to set up the first Nature Conservancy reserve in England at Kingley Vale. Another remnant is the population in Cranborne Chase, a former hunting domain of kings and nobles - the key to its survival.

http://www.ancient-yew.org/mi.php/the-ancient-yews-of-cranborne-chase/66

The tree is certainly able to grow in many soil types, including chalky ones, and ranges of temperature. They don’t like waterlogged environments, though it is claimed that their tough wood is one of the most resistant to rot.

The yew Taxus baccata, is native to all of Europe except Madeira, but the paucity of yew woodland is not limited to Great Britain. The demands on yew for bows between the thirteenth and the late sixteenth centuries was huge, so much so that once the English stands were badly depleted the Crown turned to Spain – and found that Spanish yew wood was superior, fine grained and less knotty (Yew, A History – Fred Hageneder). Other areas exploited in turn included around the Hanse towns, the Alpine borders, Poland and the Rhine. By 1568 there was not a single yew left in Bavaria.

When Elizabeth I decreed on October 26, 1595, to replace the military longbows with firearms, she did so because there was no tradable yew wood left in the whole of Europe! Not because firearms were superior. On the contrary, even at the time of the battle of Waterloo, almost 200 years later, firearms still were no match for the fire speed and precision of the yew longbow.

http://www.ancient-yew.org/s.php/frequently-asked-questions/2/2#whatis3

In any case, Spain is reputed by then to have burned many of their yew stands to prevent them being used to supply the English armies.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Remarkably, pollen counts from peat bogs suggest the great forests which returned to Europe after the glaciers retreated consisted of nearly 80% Yew trees.

Remarkable? It transforms our understanding of the universe.

The waxy, spindle-leaves of conifers in general and yew in particular are well adapted to reduce water loss in cold, dry environments.

This must be wrong. In the first place there is no correlation (as far as I know) between cold and dry. It is true that the very coldest places are also dry but they lack all trees. In any case, even if it were true, it does not explain why, on your own figures, yews are eighty per cent of conifers in such places.

The tree is certainly able to grow in many soil types, including chalky ones, and ranges of temperature ... is native to all of Europe

So not, it seems, anything to do with cold, dry places.

This is a remarkable thought today, with pure yew woodlands being so scarce.

Not if the yews-turned-into-arrows theory is correct.

Another remnant is the population in Cranborne Chase, a former hunting domain of kings and nobles - the key to its survival.

Which suggests it is not. It is difficult to believe that the kingly sport of war would be put at hazard by exempting hunting area yew trees when any other tree is just as good for hunting purposes.

They don’t like waterlogged environments, though it is claimed that their tough wood is one of the most resistant to rot.

This makes no sense from the yews' point of view.

The demands on yew for bows between the thirteenth and the late sixteenth centuries was huge, so much so that once the English stands were badly depleted the Crown turned to Spain – and found that Spanish yew wood was superior, fine grained and less knotty

Really? War is the highest expression of technology. Why would England ignore superior technology until it was forced to adopt it?

In any case, Spain is reputed by then to have burned many of their yew stands to prevent them being used to supply the English armies.

So they wouldn't have any of their own. A likely story.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Jump to:  
Page 9 of 17

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in