MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Will the Real Cynesians Please Step Forward? (History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Komorikid wrote:
The Druid/Mistletoe theme is also related to the 5th November... Mistletoe is called All-Heale because it is a cure-all and this may be the origin of All Hallow's Eve (Halloween) The real first day of the Druid New Year. The difference between the 5th and 6th day of November may be that the Druids reckoned days from Midnight while the Romans from Sunrise. How All-Heale Eve got transferred to the 31st of October is a mystery, but perhaps one of you has the answer.

This is fascinating. We've been trying to work out the meaning of 5th November, and the date itself has been the source of much speculation. If All Hallow's Eve was held to be sacred to the celebration of the souls of the dead, it would make sense to hold the All-heale festival on a different but not too-distant date; six days later is an ideal location in the spiritual calendar and also practically, as it's far easier to distinguish when the host tree's branches are bare of leaves, like spotting a bird's nest.
Komorikid

In: Gold Coast, Australia

Let's assume for the moment that Iman Wilken is correct in assuming that Troy was in England and that a Celtic (NOT Goidelic) culture was an overlay in England and Atlantic Europe incorporating Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, France, Portugal and Spain. According to Homer these would have been the Archaean, Argives, and Danaans from the Continent and the Dardanians/Trojans from England. There are NO GREEKS in Homer's Epics.

They all spoke a common language, worshipped common Gods and were culturally and philosophically identical. The time frame is the 12th century BC or to be specific 1180BC generally accepted as the date of the destruction of Troy.

The first question to answer is what language did they speak? The assumption that it was Greek, this I believe is unfounded as there was no Hellas as a national identity until after the time that Homer's Epics were written. According to the early geographers and historians Greece was settled by disparate tribes from various areas surrounding the Aegean and Ionian Seas and from the inland.

So as I see it we have a mystery elite speaking a mystery language in Western and Northern Europe. Is there a mystery language that just happens to come from one or both of these areas? Yes there is, it's Gothic; the most enigmatic of all European languages. Gothic is unique in that it shares its verb conjugation with Latin, and incorporates Greek and Runic letters. Two of these letters Sampa and Qoffa are Ionian Greek (the language of Homer) and disappeared from the Greek language before the Classic period.

The orthodox view is that English is an amalgam of Romance and Germanic but how much of both these linguistic categories have Greek origins, in the orthodox sense? If, as I believe, Gothic is much older than is assumed and was in fact a proto-Greek, the etymology of many words in both Romance and Germanic may have their origin in Atlantic Europe and were subsequently transferred to Greece when the refugees of the Trojan War escaped to the Med (Aeneas an Co). The proto-Greek developed into Dorian and Ionian in the Eastern Med and various Runic scripts and Gothic in Northern Europe.

That leaves us with the Goidelics; the people everyone erroneously assumes are the REAL Celts. They appear to have had no elite Celtic overlays. They are speaking the same language they have been speaking for thousands of years. There is no evidence that Goidelic was ever spoken anywhere in Europe outside the confines of its existing areas apart from the North-western tip of Spain and Portugal. The Goidelics are genetically and linguistically of Phoenician descent.

The view that English has very few loan words from Goidelic may be false. If the language overlay in England was a proto-Greek then the common word base would be much larger as there are many common words in both languages that are of Greek origin. But it is assumed by orthodoxy that these were inherited by both languages either as a result of Roman invasion or by Greek-speaking clergy after the 1st century AD.

The Greeks are presumed to have developed their alphabet from the Phoenicians in the Eastern Med but it just could be that it was developed along the Atlantic seaboard and Britain and then transferred by seaways to Greece where it developed via Ionian/Dorian into Classic Greek and overland Europe where it became Gothic. It may be that Classic Greek is a combination of both; the Ionian strain reaching Greece first by ship and the Gothic several hundred years later overland from the north. This would accord with Greek historians who say Greece was founded first from the sea by the Pelasgians and then from overland tribes from the north.
The Pelasgians were allies of the Trojans in the Iliad.
The Achaeans were the Trojans' enemy from the continent.

Pelasgians comes from the Greek pelagos = sea - Pelagio > Belasgae > Belgae
= Sea People
Achaeans in Greek is Achaioi = Akwaian (Germanic -- akwa) aqua -- water
= Sea People

The mysterious Sea Peoples are not so enigmatic, their name says exactly who they were.
They were the Peloset and Aqaiwasa of the the Egyptian. Ahhijawa to the Hittites and from Linear B Achaiwia seems to be the oldest name for Greece 'the Land of the Sea Peoples'
The Egyptians recorded they came from the Great Green Sea in the West -- The Atlantic.
Hatty
Site Admin

Komorikid wrote:
That leaves us with the Goidelics; the people everyone erroneously assumes are the REAL Celts. They appear to have had no elite Celtic overlays. They are speaking the same language they have been speaking for thousands of years. There is no evidence that Goidelic was ever spoken anywhere in Europe outside the confines of its existing areas apart from the North-western tip of Spain and Portugal. The Goidelics are genetically and linguistically of Phoenician descent.

Sorry if I'm confused - are you conflating Gothic and Goidelic?
(do they both have slightly disparaging connotations, i.e. Goth being uncivilised, barbaric, and goy non-Jewish, or am I imagining it?)
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Oakey Dokey wrote:
The most sacred island to the Ancient Britons would have been Anglesey. The Romans garrisoned this island to prevent the Druids regaining power over their people and cut down the ancient sacred groves on the island; they also desecrated the structures associated with Druidic faith (whatever they were).

And how exactly do we know this?
Ishmael

Oakey Dokey wrote:
Mistletoe is also 'sent from heaven' as it is an EXTREMELY odd plant.

Aside from spending part of its lifecycle inside the gut of a bird, what else is odd about Mistletoe?
Ishmael

Komorikid wrote:
Let's assume for the moment that Iman Wilken is correct...

Hooray!

I am glad to see that you are finally adopting the proper attitude toward all theses and formulating them as postulates. I wish we all did this more often. Honestly...there's so little we know about the past, we need to keep reminding ourselves of this.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I entirely disagree. It is much better (psychology-wise) to be extremely partisan or extremely hostile. So long as one varies one's strategy from time to time re any given theory.
Ishmael

Mick Harper wrote:
I entirely disagree. It is much better (psychology-wise) to be extremely partisan or extremely hostile. So long as one varies ones strategy from time to time re any given theory.

Look Mick. The central question of Epistemology is "What can we know?" and the central question with which Applied Epistemology concerns itself is "What do we know?" Regardless of the specific answers given to that question in one or another subject, the general response will always vary little from "not much of anything really."

It just so turns out that, when you gain some degree of certainty about that "not much of anything" and clear away the cognitive clutter that obscures certainty, a whole lot of new knowledge often results. That's why we can have so much fun building new theories instead of just tearing the old ones down.

Applied Episemologists can't go around talking about this or that hypothesis as though it were certain when it simply isn't! It's part of our job to remind everyone just how uncertain most everything is.

In the specific case of the "Troy is London" hypothesis, I happen to know of a similar hypothesis that places Troy in the Baltic States. There's another that puts Troy in Paris. I just finished reading another piece that argues for Troy being Byzantium and I've heard of one that puts it in Italy. Of course, this all goes alongside the original equation of Troy with an apparently tiny archaeological dig on the shores of Turkey.

If you want my opinion, the fact that so many locations for Troy are possible suggests that a far deeper, simpler and fundamental solution awaits: A solution that will explain not only why so many peoples the world over trace their roots to Troy but also why so many peoples the world over apparently live in cities that might well have once been Troy.

As I showed with my Bimini research, it is perfectly valid to posit a notion as fact for the sake of investigation. This is fundamental to the scientific method (it was once recognized as part of the definition of hypothesis). But when you start thinking of what is merely proposed as though it were known, you've no chance of ever finding truth.
Komorikid

Hatty wrote:
Sorry if I'm confused - are you conflating Gothic and Goidelic?

No. What I am saying is that they are two separate and distinct groups. The Europeans and English were always present in their respective indigenous form beneath the cover of Celtic domination.

The Goidelics (Ireland, Wales Scotland, Cornwall, Breton, Asturias, Galicia), the people everyone erroneously believes are the Celts, were devoid of this elite overlay. They remained geographically and linguistically intact; though over the intervening years some losses and gains have occurred. This does not mean they were not affected religiously, artistically or culturally.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

As you know, Ishmael, I have no great enthusiasm for these theoretical debates - one of the principle rules of Applied Epistemology being "Never start with definitions, finish with them". But then Applied Epistemology itself is only what I say it is (though anyone is free to be the 'I' in question.) So perhaps I can better illustrate my own position with reference to Troy.

Since I accept the Velikovskian argument abut the non-existence of the Greek Dark Ages, I place the Trojan War at about 700 BC, which of course puts Schliemann out of court. My position is sufficiently strong that I tend to treat this as 'fact'. I also accept that London has strong Trojan connections because the local Trinovantes (New Trojans) are a historical reality -- in the sense they are mentioned by ancient sources.

However neither of these are my theories so I don't hold on to them with paternal pride. On the other hand I was the first person (or so I claim) to notice the significance of Paris (the chief hero of Troy) being near Troyes (French for Troy) but this has never led to amything so again I don't regard it as Cosmic Truth.

As far as Troy being anywhere else, and especially the Wilkens thesis....well, it seems to me pretty much barking. The connections he makes are just not good enough even for me to take it on board as an interesting hypothesis. On the other hand I am quite taken by the theory that The Iliad and (especially) The Odyssey are sailing instructions à la song-lines.

I find all this What Is Truth stuff pretty much beside the point. Whatever's in my head is a good enough guide for me...but of course I've got a particularly good head so this might not be the best test for other people.
Ishmael

Mick Harper wrote:
As you know, Ishmael, I have no great enthusiasm for these theoretical debates - one of the principle rules of Applied Epistemology being "Never start with definitions, finish with them".

I don't start with definitions. I start with principles, and the practices derived from those principles.

What is is what was (except when it wasn't) is such a principle. One practice derived from this principle: Always ask "Why would I have done this?" when trying to discover why the ancients did what they did.

Another principle is The truth is always simple. What we call "The seven-year-olds rule" is a practice that follows: "A theory makes no sense until a seven-year-old can make sense of it."

Together, these are some of the principles and practices of Applied Epistemology. Essentially derived from the scientific method (What is is what was recontextualizes Newton's Law of Inertia), these principles and practices have become part of our tool-kit for evaluating existing theories and for putting together better, more reliable alternatives.
Hatty
Site Admin

Oakey wrote:
In fact mistle itself can be interpreted as dung. So it literally means dungtwig, exactly how the mistletoe reproduces.

Is there a connection between the mistletoe/dungtwig and the dung beetle in Egyptian lore? A symbol of rebirth and regeneration like the sun?
Komorikid

As far as Troy being anywhere else, and especially the Wilkens thesis....well, it seems to me pretty much barking. The connections he makes are just not good enough even for me to take it on board as an interesting hypothesis.

The premise Wilken uses for Cambridgeshire is no different than the one you use in THOBR. Place names DON'T change much. England is strewn with English names that predate the Anglo-Saxons.
The river names alone are enough to question the Greek origin of Troy.
RHEsos = RHEE
KARESos = KARESdic
RHODIos = RODIng
GRANicos = GRANta
AISEpos = ISE
SCAMandros = CAM -- originally SCAM
SimOEIS = Great OUSe
SatniOEIS = Little OUSe
AXIos = EXE
TEMESE = THAMES = originally TEMES
Heptaporos = Hiz/Ivel -- has 7 fords
KAUSTRios = Yare -- CAISTER on Sea

These rivers are described by Homer as the rivers of the Troad. There is no other place in the world where they exist either by name or in the exact context written in the Iliad. When you add the geographical features associated with these rivers in the context of the story the evidence is even more compelling.

CalliCOLONE is a hill on the west bank of the Simoeis (Great Ouse). Present day COLNE is on a hill on the west bank of the Great Ouse.
ILUS's barrow stands on the Simoeis north of the confluence with the SCAMander. Ely is a town built on hill overlooking the Great Ouse.
There is a ford near Ilus's barrow. A Bronze Age trackway has been found in the same area.
There is a cold spring and a hot spring just beyond the Scaean (Western) gates. There is a cold spring at Springfield (near Cherry Hinton) and a hot one not far away at Nine Well (still hot in the 19th centaury).
Dykes of War ran across the battle plain. Fleam Dyke and Devil's Dyke run across the Cambridgeshire plain.
The war lasted ten years and over 150,000 troops fought on the plain. The areas between Feltham Anchor and Gog Magog Hills has turned up the most extensive Bronze Age finds of any place in the world; over 150,000 individual pieces and more are being found. The predominant finds are weaponry and equine tack and adornments.

Some of the other place names in the surrounding area also bolster the case.
Lyrnessus -- King's Lynn, Scuros -- Sheerness, Colchis -- Colchester, Trojan Thebes -- Theberton, Lecton -- Lexden, Chryse -- Cray, Cilla -- Chilham and Tenedos -- Thanet.
Ishmael

Kom,

I just want to say that I am very sympathetic to this proposal. I just insist that we should always discuss it as an hypothetical and never as a certainty. There's much intriguing evidence to support the idea. That said, we shouldn't pretend this hypothesis is anywhere near a position where every alternative is irrational by comparison.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The premise Wilken uses for Cambridgeshire is no different than the one you use in THOBR. Place names DON'T change much.

I protest. It is a fact that place-names don't change much -- and I use that fact in my argument. Wilkens changes present names to make them accord with ancient names -- a rather different matter (though entirely acceptable so far as it goes).

There is no other place in the world where they exist either by name or in the exact context written in the Iliad.

A very rash thing to say since the attempt has not been made anywhere else in the world. (Let me have details if this is not so.) Which is largely the point. It is like the Bible Prophecy blokes using a given method to select statements from the Bible -- they are immensely impressive until somebody then gets similar messages using the identical technique with last week's Exchange & Mart. Are you absolutely sure that I could not replicate Wilkens achievements were I to devote similar time and ingenuity to any part of the world's surface with a plethora of names on it?
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Jump to:  
Page 4 of 14

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in