MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Dark Age Obscured (History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Offa of Mercia

Earth/Marsh (Sea)

These storytellers knew what they were doing.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
The problem for the medieval scribe was that the written word, in book form was highly susceptible to attack by demons. The scribes "solved" this problem by placing complex spirals and knot-work patterns around the borders of the pages as a distraction. The demons would then became so entranced by these patterns they were unable to attack the written text.

This sounds to me like the medieval signatures used to thwart forgery. These were an intricate pattern of swirls deisgned to be impossible to copy by anyone not trained in the production of the lines and swirls. Fomenko shows examples of these in his books.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
These storytellers knew what they were doing.

I wish I did!

you're not explaining a damn thing.
Wile E. Coyote

I ran through a lot of this on the Spirals thread from page 6-8.

I really was just taking it to the max.

Apologies.
aurelius

The name of the beast (1)

In mainstream linguistic theory, the word dragon entered the English language in the early 13th Century from Old French dragon, which in turn derives from the Latin draconem (nominative draco) meaning "huge serpent, dragon", and from the Greek word drakon (genitive drakontos). At its root, drakontos is from drak, strong aorist stem derkesthai, ‘to see clearly’, or to ‘glance dartingly’.

This relates to many other ancient words cognate with sight, such as Sanskrit darc (see), Avestic darstis (sight), Old Irish derc (eye). However, no connection with the English ‘dark’ is made, that being traced back to the Middle English derk, from the Old English deorc ‎(“dark, obscure, gloomy, without light, dreadful, horrible, sad, cheerless, sinister, wicked”. It is said to be cognate with Middle High German derken/terken ‎(“to darken, sully”).

The obsolete form of dragon, drake, has the same root but became separated in the C13th.

In Ancient Greek, Spakov, anglicised as ‘serpent’ is said to be from the Greek aorist verb, Spakelv (to see clearly). The Oxford English Dictionary points out that Spakelv is derived from the Greek stem Spak meaning strong. This is intuitively odd, though those who are sharp-sighted may see better in the dark than those who are not. The root words may be two sides of the same coin...or a convergent evolution.

Greek dragons were mainly serpentine in shape. For instance, Python and Boa were both serpent-shaped ‘dragons’. The Romans saw dragons as winged serpents; however, since much of Greek and Roman mythology is related, it is hard to differentiate between Greek dragons and Roman dragons. Still, they share the common attributes as a serpent-like creature, usually with wings.

To confuse matters from a modern perspective the Greek and Latin terms referred to any great serpent, not necessarily mythological, and this usage remained current in English up to the 18th century.
aurelius

The name of the beast (2)

The best-known dragon of Wales is Y Ddraig Goch, or the Red Dragon of Wales' flag. A rampant dragon and lion co-supported the Royal Arms until the Stuart dynasty when the dragon was replaced by a unicorn representing Scotland. However a passant guardant lion stands atop the crown as a reminder that England is top dog, as it were.

In Welsh, Dragon is Ddraig/draig, with the Welsh Dreigiaw meaning “to lighten without thunder”, or, “at a distance”. Dreigiau is the plural, ‘silent lightening’. Drych is ‘sight, appearance, mirror’. Keen sight, not just power and fearsomeness, are characteristic of dragons.

The opposite Welsh variants include dduach, thywyllach and nhywell, variations on the ‘darkness’ theme.

But Dreigiawl is simply ‘like a dragon’ (Welsh and English Dictionary: Geiriadur Cymraeg a Saeseneg, Etc., by William Richards).
aurelius

The name of the beast (3)

In Ireland, draic/draig are figurative of a warrior or a hero. Dracoin, dracon are variants of ‘dragon’. Some claim dragons have never been part of the Irish culture, and that the Irish word for "dragon" is just a phonetic rendering of the English. This is half-true. There are many accounts of dragon-slaying epitomised in the hook of the Cashel crozier:

Admittedly St Patrick has a reputation for driving out all the snakes, though he missed Paiste/Lig-na-Baste, who St Murrough had to sort out later, banishing him to the bottom of Lough Foyle. Uilepheist, Muirdris and Suileach were all sea serpents.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

I looked up 'cashel crozier' and found it's a blue cheese, made from sheep's milk.
aurelius

Hatty wrote:
I looked up 'cashel crozier' and found it's a blue cheese, made from sheep's milk.

Add 'bishop' to the search enquiry folks. Not 'stinking'!
aurelius

The Name of the beast (4)

In Norse, the word "ormr" represents ‘sea serpent’, thus the Great Orme near Llandudno, a headland supposedly in the shape of such a beast. Elsewhere it means something more along the lines of "worm" or "vurm." Hence Worm’s Head on the Gower. The terms tend to get associated with "dragon" because they all three creatures are described as scaly, reptilian and fierce.

The reason for the word not quite meaning "dragon" can be found in the dragons of the Norse. Jormungand, perhaps the most famous Norse dragon, was simple a huge serpent. Nidhogg, one of the only creatures referred to as a dragon in Norse mythology, was also described to be serpent-like.

Modern Norwegian, Swedish and Danish reserve the distinction:

Norwegian: Dragon= drage (old Norse dreki) i.e. different from snake, Serpent = Slange
Swedish: Dragon= drake, Swedish (Ancient): flugdrake, floghdraki (flying dragon?). Serpent in Swedish = Orm
Danish: Dragon= drage. Serpent = Slange

More specifically, Lindworm (cognate with Old Norse linnormr) = 'constrictor snake', Norwegian linnorm = 'dragon', Swedish lindorm, Danish lindorm = 'serpent', hence the blurring of the anatomy.

If I may tax your attention further, 'Lind' = lime tree in Swedish. You will note that the suffix Lind- is common in north European surnames, e.g. Lindenbergh, Lindenberg, Lindstrom etc.

In German, Lindwurm= 'dragon'. To ‘old’ Germans the Linden was a holy tree, a haunt of dwarfs and fairies; under it dragons lay so often in the shade or for protecting property they became known as Lindenworms. Sigurd, in the mythology of this area, after killing the dragon Fafnir, bathes in his blood but a linden (Lime) leaf falls on his shoulder preventing the blood touching his skin at that point, creating an area of vulnerability.

In British heraldry, Lindworm is a technical term for a wingless bipedal dragon, often with a venomous bite; in Norwegian heraldry a lindorm is the same as the wyvern, the commonest dragon manifestation in Wales and Somerset.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Apologies, just got round to this

At its root, drakontos is from drak, strong aorist stem derkesthai, ‘to see clearly’, or to ‘glance dartingly’.

Never take seriously somebody who uses words like 'aorist stem' to people he must know will not understand them. It is of course our old friend 'careful ignoral'. Whether this is Aurelius or the bloke writing on Wiki I cannot tell. Especially take no notice when they take one word 'dragon' and say it is etymologically linked with another word 'to see clearly' which has no connection whatsoever except they vaguely sound a bit similar.

And then doubly ignore it when they go on to link 'to see clearly' with something that means something else 'to glance dartingly'. Not that I imagine any language has ever had a word that means 'to glance dartingly'.

This relates to many other ancient words cognate with sight, such as Sanskrit darc (see), Avestic darstis (sight), Old Irish derc (eye).

Maybe it does maybe it doesn't but wtf does it have to do with dragons? Need I go on? I hope so. But I doubt so.
Wile E. Coyote

aurelius wrote:

In German, Lindwurm= 'dragon'. To ‘old’ Germans the Linden was a holy tree, a haunt of dwarfs and fairies; under it dragons lay so often in the shade or for protecting property they became known as Lindenworms. Sigurd, in the mythology of this area, after killing the dragon Fafnir, bathes in his blood but a linden (Lime) leaf falls on his shoulder preventing the blood touching his skin at that point, creating an area of vulnerability.

That is the Achilles myth. I bet old Sigurd was also unlucky enough to get struck exactly at his weakest point. You cant be too careful when bathing, on land (sic) under a sacred tree, river, or at a sacred well..... you need to cover your whole/holy body.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Lime trees are not specially remarkable trees but do have one noteworthy aspect

It is the lightest wood produced by any of the broad-leaved European trees, and is suitable for many purposes, as it never becomes worm-eaten.

which seems rather at odds with the Lindenwurm connection.

On one point the story has a grain of truth since lime leaves always seem sticky, so they may have been used for poultices or a 'plaster'.

Lind(e) means soft, tender. It may be that lime leaves, which are quite pale and almost seem to glow, were 'tender' leaves. Linda and variants thereof is a common name in many countries, meaning pretty, soft.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

The linden tree has three interestingly quirky associations
One: It is the wood that "the Vikings" used for their shields
Two: It nearly conquered Europe -- the chief boulevard of Berlin is the Unter den Linden.
Three: "Centuries ago, hunters used to follow bees back to their hives after the insects sucked the nectar from Linden blossoms. Once there they would retrieve honey from the bees' hives" This is so ludicrous it must be important.
aurelius

Mick Harper wrote:

Never take seriously somebody who uses words like 'aorist stem' to people he must know will not understand them. It is of course our old friend 'careful ignoral'. Whether this is Aurelius or the bloke writing on Wiki I cannot tell.

Thanks for the advice on this. Linguistics is one of the subjects on this forum that I have no experience or training in so I appreciate it. In order to explore the origins of dragons fully however I feel duty bound to cover some background for our general audience so I have used information on Wiki and elsewhere to try to summarise it.

For the record,

a verb tense, as in Classical Greek, expressing action or, in the indicative mood, past action, without further limitation or implication. adjective. of or in this tense. Origin of aorist Expand.

Aorist | Define Aorist at Dictionary.com

www.dictionary.com/browse/aorist

I can assure you I am wary of 'this is cognate with that' associations as well but I am not qualified to dispute each of them either.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 39, 40, 41  Next

Jump to:  
Page 6 of 41

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in