MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Dark Age Obscured (History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I wonder if he told us what the c in c 500 years stood for.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

c = 495 years
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

c is the corridor of uncertainty.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I make the jokes, Hatty. He can't possibly mean 495 otherwise he would say so. When trick-cyclists hove into view always watch as the c ebbs and flows just as the definition of the event itself ebbs and flows.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Draconis is a dragon and provided the Pole Star which is hugely important for navigation. For just getting home in the dark. Everyone needs to know what it looks like. However, since there is no way of recognising the Draconis Constellation -- in the way it is easy to recognise the Big Dipper and Polaris -- an invented visual mnemonic would be required.

One not quite satisfactorily resolved matter re 'Megalithic saints' was the dragon-killing (or taming) trope but the link between Pole Star/Draconis and navigation does hang together. Not only that but the major perps i.e. Michael, Margaret, George are typically found in the 'right' places.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

aurelius wrote:

b) They are not a recurring nightmare of actual encounters with dinosaurs but a sort of virtual reality of bone and skeleton finds which our ancestors found randomly or when mining..

They are a reminder of a hunting culture where fearsome encounters were a reality, interpreted in the light of finds (large bones) which do not match those of the current animal population.
Wile E. Coyote

aurelius wrote:

c)They are the ancients' interpretation of aerial phenomena, i.e.
- (i) Comets
- (ii) Bolides/Meteors/Fireballs
- (iii) The Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis)
- (iv) Lightning

The colorful Chinese dragon festival incorporates two dragons and people let off firecrackers but....as always with the Chinese you have this Yin/Yang thing going on, the dragon is character in a story of fire and water

The thunderstorm brings fire and water... destruction and renewal

In British myths fire breathing dragons are often associated with wells. (In fact Wells!).
Mick Harper
Site Admin

... mmm ... fire and water ... like in metal forging.
Wile E. Coyote

Hey, maybe that is why we have Venus Pools.... ?

It's a fire/water fertility thing.

Maybe should cut down on the coffee..
Mick Harper
Site Admin

....and earth for the mould and air for the bellows.
Wile E. Coyote

Aha...

But I want to go further.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Don't let me detain you.
Wile E. Coyote

Hillforts=Earth

Rivers/Wells =Water

Dragons= Megalithic Renewal story.

Clearly the hillforts were built not to defend against dragons but to capture tame/time and control the dragons.

Damn Christians have killed the dragon, and cocked up the renewal clock, replacing it with linear time. .
Wile E. Coyote

I feel a bit bad stealing Auro's thunder(storm).
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Hatty wrote:
One not quite satisfactorily resolved matter re 'Megalithic saints' was the dragon-killing (or taming) trope but the link between Pole Star/Draconis and navigation does hang together. Not only that but the major perps i.e. Michael, Margaret, George are typically found in the 'right' places.

Seemples. It's St.Patrick that gave the game away.

"Chasing the serpents out of Ireland" was nothing to do with snakes. The early Catholic Church in Britain knew the pagan druids & priests as "Serpents", and the pagan kings "Dragons". Like Uther Pendragon.

Do a bit of druid/priest-bashing or local king regicide and the church will make you a saint in no time at all. Britain is littered with local thugs who did away with the old order and helped the church get control.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 39, 40, 41  Next

Jump to:  
Page 4 of 41

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in