MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Fake or Find (APPLIED EPISTEMOLOGY)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Hatty wrote:
A radio programme about the history of northern Britain, The Matter of the North, featured the Ruthwell Cross, a monument of megalithic proportions (17 - 18 ft) that is "unmatched anywhere in Europe" according to scholars.

An academic from St Andrews was interviewed and described it as
the most important surviving piece of sculpture from the Early Middle Ages

One oddity of this massive cross is that, in the words of this academic, "the Anglo-Saxons scarcely built in stone at all".

Another monumental cross is the Gosforth Cross. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gosforth_Cross it is situated in St Mary's church Gosforth in the English county of Cumbria, it is thought to date back to the first half of the 10th century AD. It is more evidence for monumental Anglo Saxon crosses. In addition, the Gosforth cross contains elaborate carvings of what is thought to be scenes of Nordic Mythology, so has been the object of much study.

This is very exciting for AE as, clearly, we will expect to find it situated by an Anglo-Saxon church. But what is this, the church is known for the cross but only worth a look, whilst passing through..... as it has been rebuilt in the 13th and 14th centuries and then again in 1896.

During the 1896 renovation, two Hogback tombstones were found. It is thought these two tombstones were carved by the same guy who carved the cross.... actually they are probably not wrong (!) Anyway the tombstones are an additional reason to visit the Victorian church.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Strangely enough these hogback Viking tombstones in St Mary's Gosforth came up on Facebook yesterday. They looked so uniformly carved, and recent, that I was moved to reply, noting that the church itself didn't exist before the twelfth century

The oldest part of St Mary's has been dated C12th according to Historic England archaeologists. It may be a confusion between 'Viking' and Norman though the carvings were only 'discovered' during the 1896-7 restoration, at the height of the Gothic Revival so beloved of church architects. In the absence of contemporaneous records, these are surely the work of 19th century craftsmen.

The 'what is thought to be scenes of Nordic Mythology' isn't reassuring. It's a bit vague but might be inspired by Scandi sagas which were being touted as early medieval but produced considerably later (17th - 18th, even 19th, century, perhaps to bolster the credentials of the Norwegian dynasty).

I hadn't thought to compare/contrast Gosforth with the Ruthwell Cross but if a reply is posted I'll reference it.
Wile E. Coyote

Hatty wrote:
Strangely enough these hogback Viking tombstones in St Mary's Gosforth came up on Facebook yesterday. They looked so uniformly carved, and recent, that I was moved to reply, noting that the church itself didn't exist before the twelfth century

If I had only followed Hattie on Facebook, I wouldn't have had to waste half an hour working it out myself.

Still, however irritating for me, Hats must be really worried that I am now only a matter of 24 hours or so behind her.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
Hats must be really worried that I am now only a matter of 24 hours or so behind her.

24 hours is a long time in AEL. And I think Hattie can run faster than the old Coyote. The game's afoot!
Wile E. Coyote

Hattie can run faster than the old Coyote.

I have just received my Amazon delivery of purple velvet, jet-propelled, smoking slippers. You lot all underestimate Coyote's natural cunning.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

In this fascinating, 10-minute presentation, a rogue scientist details how he managed to detect forgery inside numeric data.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Fascinating indeed. I presume it's because censuses decide how federal/state largesse is shared out. I was -- you guessed it -- a census worker myself and -- you guessed it - it was for our weirdest ever census. (Not because of me.)

Since they started in 1801, British censuses have never had a reason to avoid being counted. Suddenly, in 1981, it did. The Poll Tax had come in and they wanted to know where you lived. The numbers sure went down. And much to my fury -- we only got paid when we'd gone back time and again to make sure we had everyone registered.
Ishmael

To make it obvious....

In the 2020 election, none of the vote totals in any county in any state had anything to do with the numbers of votes that were actually cast. We can further infer that none of the vote tallies for any of the candidates had anything to do with the number of votes they actually received.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

To make it even more obvious...

In the 2020 election, none of the vote totals in any county in any state had anything to do with the numbers of voters that people using the 2010 Census data were putting forward for various purposes.. We can further infer that the vote tallies for all candidates were the number of votes they actually received because the USA has such a sophisticated statistical apparat that it can get up to all sorts, including conducting reasonably fair elections which do not require a particularly sophisticated apparat.
Ishmael

In some areas, you seem to disengage your brain.

I know you think the same of me (and doubtless you are correct in many cases). But you've just managed to completely subvert the sort of evidence that, in any other area of inquiry, would constitute for us the firmest of evidence.

To be frank, I can't even make rational sense of your "rebuttal."
Mick Harper
Site Admin

You are partially correct (in both senses). If I had come across this myself I would indeed have taken it as prima facie evidence of rigged elections and gone on to ... wherever it led, up to and including writing books about it. I might have been right, I might have been wrong, but I would have achieved a primary purpose of AE which is to come up with new theories about significant matters of public discourse.

But I didn't. And you didn't. That puts us into a different AE ball park.

We are evaluating known, publicly available and already digested matters in order to ... do what exactly? In your case it is to buttress a theory (not your own) about the (non)election of Donald Tump. In my case it is to buttress not a theory (the non-election of Donald Trump is not a theory) but a view I take which is that when it comes to politics you are not very AE-ist. In fact you are not even very sensible. In my view. I wouldn't write a book about it because it isn't a significant matter of public discourse, though I'm happy enough kicking it around here.

Though it might become so if, for instance, you became a figure of some notoriety on account of books you had written.
Wile E. Coyote

What he is saying can't be simple and obvious if he can't give a cogent explanation.

Maybe it's because I can't understand anything with Caffeine?

He is alleging, despite all the audits and checks, that there is a conspiracy to add in additional fraudulent ballots. It's a bit like you suspect Soviet elections were not true if you had 99% for the communist candidate.

It doesn't surprise me if a state has more registered voters on their rolls than voting age residents as (err) people who move out of an area can't be arsed to inform the authorities as by doing so lose nothing, but people who move into an area will inform the Authorities as they want to vote.(?)
Mick Harper
Site Admin

He...
I'm assuming 'he' refers to Ishmael not the YouTube speaker.

...is alleging, despite all the audits and checks, that there is a conspiracy to add in additional fraudulent ballots.

Yes, that's the bit where Ishmael always goes wrong. It is a case of 'best practice' even though it may be, as the lecturer believes, a case of 'worst practice'.

It's a bit like you suspect Soviet elections were not true if you had 99% for the communist candidate.
No, that's quite different.

It doesn't surprise me if a state has more registered voters on their rolls than voting age residents as (err) people who move out of an area can't be arsed to inform the authorities as by doing so lose nothing, but people who move into an area will inform the Authorities, as they want to vote.(?)

That's the kind of thing I assumed.
Wile E. Coyote

I was actually referring to the you tube speaker.
Wile E. Coyote

"He" presents this, on the basis he stumbled on it, as he was preparing one lesson for the gifted children he teaches. He likes to use real life examples.

His bow tie, and the work he put in, would suggest that his choice of lesson prep might not be neutral.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Jump to:  
Page 8 of 10

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in