MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Fake or Find (APPLIED EPISTEMOLOGY)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmael

In: Toronto

I think the best means of proceeding is to assume they are man made and then try to determine of what possible use they might have been.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Yes, but what are 'they'? These balls are found all over the world including New Zealand and Antarctica. Which means they cannot be man-made and ancient. Unless you want to go really weird. However that leaves the possibility that some are natural and some are man-made even though this breaks a prime tenet of Applied Epistemology.
Ishmael

I say they are all man made. I don't care how old they are. Dating is all crap. including geological strata dating. Geologists haven't a fucking clue how old strata are. It's all a bullocks.

Now. What were they used for. Here are your clues from the costa rica article...
  • Many of the balls were found to be in alignments, consisting of straight and curved lines, as well as triangles and parallelograms.
  • Many of the balls, some of them in alignments, were found on top of low mounds.
  • The balls range in size from only a few centimeters to over two meters in diameter. It has been estimated that the largest ones weigh over 16 tons (ca. 15,000 kg).
  • The balls are near-perfect spheres (though not perfect)
I already have an hypothesis. How about any of you lot?
Ishmael

Spheres in Antarctica?!?! Where is this info? Wow.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

From the Bosnian geezer who seems to think this is good for him!

I’ve been researching prehistoric stone ball phenomenon for 15 years. I’ve visited several times shaped granite stone balls in southern Costa Rica, volcanic stone spheres in western Mexico, “cocina” stone balls in the small island in Pacific - Isla del Cano, volcanic stone balls on Easter Island, some of them in Tunisia, and Tenerife on Canary Islands. They are also present on Antarctica, New Zealand, Russia, Egypt, USA, Argentina… I wrote about stone balls found in Balkan region: northern Albania, province of Dalmatia in Croatia, western Serbia.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Ishmael wrote:
How about any of you lot?

Look like currency to me.
Ishmael

Really. A boulder that's 3 meters in diameter is currency.

Apparently, Sisyphus was on his way to the Bank.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

While you are there, Ishmael (or anyone else), could you look at this PDF document
http://www.themasonictrowel.com/ebooks/fm_freemasonry/Bernier_-_The_Great_Architects_of_Tiron.pdf
and convert it into a word document so I can cut and paste it.
Wile E. Coyote

Ishmael wrote:
Really. A boulder that's 3 meters in diameter is currency.

Apparently, Sisyphus was on his way to the Bank.

In "coin" we considered the currency of Yap.

http://yapislandproject.blogspot.co.uk/p/stone-money.html
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The AEL doesn't have much of an acquisitions policy but given our ongoing interest in St Cuthbert we might have to make an exception for this

A FRAGMENT of St Cuthbert’s coffin with a robe from St Cuthbert’s coffin is due to be auctioned tomorrow
We need not worry about provenance
The treasure, believed to have been taken as a souvenir by a 19th century clergyman are displayed in a 19th century box from the collection of Ian Curry, a Durham Cathedral architect from 1976 to 1997, who died in 2012. They are believed to have been removed by Canon James Raine when he opened Cuthbert’s coffin in Durham Cathedral in 1827.

Obviously we are going to have to dig deep, up against Durham Cathedral for sure, and the British Library and the Vatican, in all probability but there's some hope we might be able to do a private deal.

A spokeswoman for Durham Cathedral, which had been considering bidding for the item – valued at £200 to £300 – said it was aware it had been withdrawn from sale.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/local/northdurham/durham/11103807.St_Cuthbert_s_coffin_fragment_withdrawn_from_auction/
Ishmael

Fake or Find?

Romans in Canada?
The shipwreck is still there and has not been worked,” said Pulitzer [via The Boston Standard]. “We have scanned it, we know exactly where it lays, but it will be a touchy thing for the Nova Scotia government to allow an archaeological team to survey it. We know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is Roman
From the comments:
The Brothers Lagina are awesome. However, this "Pulizter" guy was formerly known as Jeffry Jovan Philyaw .. Is a huckster looking to make a buck.
Did you see the episode where Pulitzer brought his "cousin" and his own divers to the island? I thought Marty Lagina was going to soil himself when Pulitzer started yanking on the air hose when one of the divers got hung up in the debris. Good thing Lagina called off the dive. I called out Pulitzer on one of his claims and quoted his own statement back to him. He threatened to sue me for libel
And finally...
Jeffry Jovan Philyaw is indeed a huckster, just trying to cash in on the Laginas' notoriety on the island. The sword was dated, and is a reproduction. Why? Bronze content is higher in quality than what the Roman artisans could provide. The sword replica was not found on the island, and this in my mind indicates the "salting" of the find if indeed it was a find.
Ishmael

Fake or Find?

1,200-year-old Viking sword discovered by hiker
A sword is probably the last thing you'd expect to find on a hike -- especially one that's more than a millennium old.

But that's what happened to a man in Norway who recently stumbled across a 1,200-year-old Viking sword while walking an ancient route.
Most surprising part of the story? This guy has been hiking for a thousand years!
Wile E. Coyote

Fake.

Swords were very very rare, a few have been found as part of burial goods, still even then rare as a mythical shield wall.

Basically vikings did not have swords.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

A radio programme about the history of northern Britain, The Matter of the North, featured the Ruthwell Cross, a monument of megalithic proportions (17 - 18 ft) that is "unmatched anywhere in Europe" according to scholars.

An academic from St Andrews was interviewed and described it as
the most important surviving piece of sculpture from the Early Middle Ages

One oddity of this massive cross is that, in the words of this academic, "the Anglo-Saxons scarcely built in stone at all".

The cross, as per Melvyn Bragg, the presenter, is late 7th - early 8th century and in strikingly good condition. Not only does it boast Celtic birds, trees and whatnot but several verses of a poem, the Dream of the Rood, written in Anglo-Saxon runes which constitute

the oldest surviving text of any English poem in the world

Despite its size and uniqueness, there appear to be no references to the cross anywhere. Not even Bede or the ASC.

There is one other Ruthwell celebrity
Ruthwell's most famous inhabitant was the Rev. Dr. Henry Duncan. He was a minister, author, antiquarian, geologist, publisher, philanthropist, artist and businessman. In 1810, Dr. Duncan opened the world's first commercial savings bank, paying interest on its investors' modest savings.

In 1818, Dr. Duncan restored the Ruthwell Cross, one of the finest Anglo-Saxon crosses in the United Kingdom, now in Ruthwell church, which had been broken up in the Scottish Reformation.

What is more likely, an Anglo-Saxon or a Victorian monolith?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The cross was smashed by Presbyterian iconoclasts in 1642

One thing a lot of non-iconoclasts forget is the problem of getting rid of the pieces. Especially when dealing with something taller than a London bus. It takes a lot of lugging unless you do a proper smithereens job on it. But you don't want to do that because it's awfully messy. What you need is pieces that are big but not too big

One piece, it appears, was used as a bench to sit upon.

But always remember you can leave stuff just lying around inside the church for an indefinite period while you think about it. People can always just step over it. But they have a tendency to bellyache

The pieces were later removed from the church

But where to now? I know, what about the churchyard? There's always stacks of space out there what with people not dying of the plague nowadays.

and left out in the churchyard

But don't worry, if it starts getting cluttered they'll only be there for ... what? a hundred and eighty years before some antiquarian chancer comes along. Whadyamean, he wants to put it back in the church? Are we not still Protestants here in Scotland?
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 10

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in