MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Cup and Ring Marks (History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmael

In: Toronto

aurelius wrote:
So it's not unassailably Scorpius.

How does that conclusion follow? The lack of a star catalogue or astronomical thesis has hardly restrained the archeoastronomers in Europe!

Look. I don't know if that Scorpion is Scorpio or not. I haven't examined the case made by those who say it is. But I will say this: If it is Scorpio, anyone who says the old and new worlds were entirely separate entities is just an ass!
aurelius

Mick Harper wrote:
There is a detailed explanation of these in The Megalithic Empire by Harper and Vered. I do not myself necessarily agree with the explanation the authors offer but it is an interesting one.

I've ordered a copy. Would be interested to know why you may no longer agree with some of the conclusions.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

It's not something I advertise but, being an Applied Epistemologist, I doubt most things including my own beliefs. However if I communicate this unease to a reader of one of my books where already the ideas must seem to them both new and speculative, they might easily hurl it across the room by Page 7 because by then they will already have been exposed to more new and speculative ideas than in their last one hundred books combined.

You will find this yourself. You really don't like new and speculative ideas. You much prefer the ones you've already got. Because of the hurling-across-room problem most of my readers are in padded cells.
aurelius

Maybe, but I like the hypothesis of HOBR.
aurelius

Going back to Gary Daniels' poser,

Could traders from Georgia have visited Palenque and brought back this Mayan story of an ancient cosmic catastrophe?

this would surely be out of sync with what we know about petroglyphs (flourished stylistically between 5000 and 10000 BC) and Mayan civilisation (earliest settlements dated to 1800 BC).

Furthermore,

did Mayan astronomer-priests visit Georgia and leave this record of an ancient catastrophic event from 3300 BC?

why did they record it in a style that is retro beyond belief ?

Daniels also claims the 'incomplete star symbol' is identical to the Mayan glyph for 'enthronement' in Temple XIX but neglects to illustrate this for our convenience. I have spent over an hour looking through illustrations of the glyphs from

http://www.mesoweb.com/publications/stuart/TXIX-spreads.pdf

and have not found anything 'identical', as well as the stylistic dissimilarity.
aurelius

The three dotted circles linked to what Daniels speculates is Antares are, at best, the front part of the Scorpion only. Where is the rest of Scorpio, notably the characteristic curvature of the tail ending in the stinger?

In the more traditional European depictions the front three stars form the front of the creature's head. Here, Antares is the red 'heart'.

The North American versions tend to present these threes stars instead as extensions (like feelers) which makes Antares the 'brain'.

(Sorry but I'm having no luck uploading pictures to make it easier.)
aurelius

If the Forsythe squiggles are supposed to focus on a particular part of the night sky where an interesting and possibly frightening event occurred the marks which are intended as constellations should be in proximity, whatever the latitude Georgia was in at the time.

I notice Daniels elsewhere tentatively suggests the Pleiades, which occupy a minute area compared with Scorpio let alone Draco but you wouldn't tell from the glyphs.) Unfortunately for him the Pleiades are in no more a useful position than Scorpio relative to Draco.

What precedes Scorpio on the ecliptic? The relatively dull constellations of Virgo (apart from Spica) and Libra. Not Draco, which is way over the other side of the sky.

The only other constellation which has a similar shape to the 'Draco' glyph is Pisces, with its 'V' kink. Is it near to Scorpio? Nope.
aurelius

If the Forsyth 'constellations' are not Scorpio or Draco the parallel with the vase collapses.

We are still left with a mystery. Nearly all the photographs or drawings of cup and ring marks I could find on the web are from Western European though it is claimed that places as far afield as India, Namibia and Alabama have something similar. How did the stone turn up in the state of Georgia?
Ishmael

aurelius wrote:
Going back to Gary Daniels' poser,

Who is Gary Daniels?

I didn't post this link because I thought the claims on that Web site of particular interest. I didn't even read it. I was interested only in bringing your attention to this stone in the New World which has essentially the same markings upon it that everyone gets all excited about in the old world.

That matter seems to have been ignored---carefully--by people here in favor of distractions. What no one seems to be doing is talking about both sets of stones--old world and new world--as being of the same kind.

I don't know what those markings on the Georgia stone are, any more than I know what the "cup and ring" markings are on the stones in Europe. "Star map" to my mind seems unlikely. The only "Star map" of interest to the ancients was the one that enabled you to navigate the very real world down here.

When these weirdo types start banging on about "catastrophes", they lose me.

Oh yeah. On an unrelated note; remind me sometime to tell you about the ancient catastrophe that knocked Earth from its axis.
Ishmael

This artwork, however...

Has nothing to do with the Georgia Stone. As I said, if it represents stars in the sky then there can be no doubt of an old world/new world link.
aurelius

Gary Daniels is the bloke behind LostWorlds.org from which "Did Maya Carve Petroglyph Boulder in Georgia?" emanates...just followed up a link from your link, Ishmael.

And I am interested in any diffusion possibilities.
aurelius

Ishmael wrote:
This artwork, however...

Has nothing to do with the Georgia Stone. As I said, if it represents stars in the sky then there can be no doubt of an old world/new world link.

I see a damn good scorpion representation. They are a bit of an issue in those parts. I don't see Scorpio, which Daniels is wanting people to make a connection with.
aurelius

http://images.ancient-scotland.co.uk/pics/ballmy00.jpg

Here's a vertical surface peppered with them - we can rule out the 'cups' holding liquids at least in this case....
Ishmael

What is absolutely clear, however, is that we have, in the Georgia Stone, an exact replica of the very same phenomenon. Someone is crossing the Atlantic.
aurelius

Ishmael wrote:
What is absolutely clear, however, is that we have, in the Georgia Stone, an exact replica of the very same phenomenon. Someone is crossing the Atlantic.

If they did, I wouldn't be surprised if it was from Galicia:

http://halfmoon.tripod.com/Spain.html
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 7

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in