MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Importance of Sport (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 258, 259, 260  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

All hail, Jesus, Man City superstar. Gabriel (father, son, angel, hmm) the Guardian informs us breathlessly, has scored eleven goals in his first thirteen Premier Leagues games, thus putting him among the all time greats who have done likewise. So where would you slot him in?
Mick Quinn
Pappis Cisse
Mark Viduka
Tony Yeboah
Demba Ba
Nikica Jelavic
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I love it when they turn down fifty million and a month later he's on the bench. Which reminds me, my campaign to get Jack Wilshere made player-manager has strengthened now that the main objection "He'll only go and pick hisself" is otiose.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Arsenal vs Brighton

It occurs to me that just as Spurs are the Jewish club and World Jewry not only buys them new stadiums but instructs Jewish footballers to play for them e.g Harry Kane (born Harold Kane), so Brighton should seek the pink pound and the best gay footballers.
aurelius

Mick Harper wrote:
Arsenal vs Brighton

It occurs to me that just as Spurs are the Jewish club and World Jewry not only buys them new stadiums but instructs Jewish footballers to play for them e.g Harry Kane (born Harold Kane), so Brighton should seek the pink pound and the best gay footballers.

Why are you bringing Harry Kane the hurdler into it?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_Jews#Football_.28association.2C_soccer.29

The Spurs striker's immediate ancestry is Irish, through his father who is from Galway.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

OK, OK, I believe you. He is gay but not Jewish.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Strange goings-on at last night's European welterweight title fight. The British holder was twelve-to-one on to win. Hang on, I thought, how can any Board of Control sanction such a one-sided fight? Then their records flashed up. Hang on, I thought, the Froggie challenger actually has a better record than our boy which, even allowing for easier fights in France, makes no sense of the odds. Sure enough the challenger won, and fairly comfortably. The fix was out.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I am still confused. We were criticised on Friday because we played 4-4-2 and the fullbacks were caught too far upfield during ‘the transition’. I think this is what we used to call a turnover but I am hesitant about novel nomenclature ever since it took me two full seasons finding out where ‘the channels’ were. So Southgate changes to 3-5-3 to 'provide greater security'. Always important when playing a meaningless fixture against a team that lost 3-0 at home to Scotland and drew away to Malta.

Now I appreciate that three at the back is more secure than two at the back but surely this means that fullbacks are now more advanced than wing backs.That can’t be right.Plus, wandering between the two systems means dimbos like Rashford, Sterling and Sturridge never know where they’re supposed to be. Might suit that footballing intellectual Lallana though.

If I’m confused, God help Gareth, but I don’t want to put Ian Wright in charge for Russia because of the diplomatic incident.angle. Wrighty did though blurt out why Kane can't be captain -- strikers just have too many attacking blinkers on. Hoddle, I thought, had a poor game. It wasn’t a mistimed tackle, Glenn, the bloke was trying to kick the same ball as delle Alle, and going in off the post is not a ‘great penalty’ it is a lucky bad penalty. But he always praises Spurs players e.g. ‘Winks’. An ancestry, I think, in need of an Aurelian investigation. (Winks).

Rashford has suddenly realised how far he’s come in so short a time and will have to go back to the Under-17’s for a year or two but ironically all these games against massed defences have cried out for Jack Wilshere. I suppose it’s too late now. Mind you racking up wins against minnows means, under FIFA’s ludicrous ranking system, being a second seed in Russia and we'll be particularly well versed in how to beat Syria and Upper Volta and go through.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Big piece in the Guardian about professional football clubs damaging youthful aspirants, but with wider implications. It is from the near-Godlike David Conn

In March 2013 a young man killed himself after suffering years of mental health difficulties following his release by a Premier League football club’s academy at the age of 16. The summing up by the coroner who presided over the inquest into his death could hardly have been a stronger or more salutary warning about the potential dangers of English football’s youth development system.

No, David, no, Mr Coroner, he killed himself because of his mental health difficulties. As do thousands of people every year without having been anywhere near a football club. Any system that produces failures as well as successes gets denigrated in our all-must-have-prizes culture, but this overview is profoundly wrong. I've been a failure all my life and it's never done me any harm.

But specifically on young, talented footballers. Let's see what is really going on. For a start, it is an informed and voluntary decision. Every kid over the age of ten knows for an absolute certainty that he is embarking on a road in which he has about nil chance of complete success and a minimal chance of part-success. Nor does parental pressure come into it -- unlike say swimming or beauty pageants, he won't get into the academy no matter how much his parents want him to.

But if he can, he will. Because he wants to be a profession footballer? Well, yes, I'm sure he does, but that is not why he is in the academy. It is because he'd rather be there than any place else on earth. I would have too if I hadn't done my knee. Of course he could leave any time and do what non-academy kids do -- school, hanging around with your mates, playing your Nimtendo -- but if so these 'developmental years' will bear just as small a relationship to success in adult life. This 'failure' is for some reason not specially excoriated.

But, I hear you and Conn saying, surely the clubs can do something about the trauma of failure? Well, no, I'm afraid they can't. That's what makes it a trauma. Knowing once and for all that your lifetime's ambition is never going to be fulfilled is traumatic and offering two boxes of Kleenex rather than one is not going to change it. Would the kid, even knowing the trauma was certain, even knowing his football club is going to throw him out on his ear without as much as a Football Skills, Bronze Medal certificate to hang on his wall, do anything different? Are you kidding?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Harry Kane's confidence is obviously shattered. Nothing to do with his heritage but a month or two in the Cheshunt & District should have him back to his old self.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Every young boy's dream. In terms of life chances, the earlier it is shattered the better. Those really talented folks that nearly make it are the most unfortunate, they carry on this dream for years hoping for the big break.... The rest of us get a job, money and play for "fun" at the local park.

Wiley beats one, beats two, slips and falls, in dog poo.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Poor old Batshuyi. He gets picked twice -- first a loss to Burnley at home first game of the season, now a loss to pointless Palace. There won't be a third coming. The solution? At the winter window, and Kane still at the Priory, loan him to Spurs.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Worrying conspiracy thoughts..... with all the English teams topping their Euro groups.

Maybe the model of putting Jews in charge and then out moneying everyone else eg Dein Scholar Glazer and Abramovich is finally working.

Thank heaven for Sheik Mansour, I can now hopefully rest that one.

BTW why the Gulf states are allowed two State teams in the champions league Man City and PSG and gets a world cup is beyond me.....
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Thank heaven for Sheik Mansour, I can now hopefully rest that one.

They're all Semites. How I pine for the days of the Hill-Samuels and proper English values.

BTW why the Gulf states are allowed two State teams in the champions league Man City and PSG

David Conn's The Fall of the House of Fifa will tell you. Conn ... Cohen ... maybe not the full story. Which reminds me there's a Tarik-Cohen currently wowing American football. Clearly both shades of Semiticism. And black to boot.

and gets a world cup is beyond me...

This will be the first time that consecutive world cups go to countries with low rankings -- Russia 65, Qatar 97. One low ranking country spreads the footballing message, two spreads the loot.
aurelius

Mick Harper wrote:
An ancestry, I think, in need of an Aurelian investigation. (Winks)

Tottenham's money largely comes from the ageing Joe Lewis, now 80:

born to a Jewish family above a public house in Roman Road, Bow, London. Lewis left school at 15 to help run his father's West End of London catering business Tavistock Banqueting.

From these modest beginnings he opened a club in the West End and added dosh through currency trading. Daniel Levy is also Jewish. The club was founded on its present site and has its traditional reputation as a 'Jewish club' from the large minority living in north London who would turn up to support their local team.

Since Arsenal moved in from Woolwich north Londoners have had a choice, as allegedly

Arsenal famously have more Jews around their area, so they have a stronger claim in the modern era

https://www.reddit.com/r/coys/comments/3m1grd/so_why_are_we_a_jewish_club/?st=j941bfvu&sh=9fd21522

As for Winks, Wiki only goes as far as to say he has Spanish ancestry on his mothers' side. Regards his patronymic, many of them are oop north:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/name-origin?surname=winks

...attested also by the Dictionary of American Family Names:

English (mainly Yorkshire): probably a variant of Wink.

A fuller exploration is in

http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Winks

which gives three options,

There are three possible sources for this intriguing surname of Anglo-Saxon origin, the first being that it is locational from East and West Winch in Norfolk, and as such derives from the Olde English pre 7th Century "wynn", a meadow, and "wic", a dairy farm. These places are recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086, as "Eastuuininc", and "Wesuuenic". However, Winch and its variants Wynch, Wink and Winks, may also be a topographical name for a person living by a well from which water is drawn by means of a winch, deriving from the Olde English "wince", a winch or pulley. Lastly, 'Winch' may be a nickname surname from the Olde English "hleapewince", meaning lapwing, and given to someone with some fancied resemblance to the bird.

If any of these are correct (how anyone can resemble a Peewit is beyond my imagination), my initial feeling that Winks might be a shortened, Anglicised version of a Jewish name, a la Ruby Wax/Wachs, is wrong.
aurelius

Wile wrote:
Worrying conspiracy thoughts..... with all the English teams topping their Euro groups.

Indeed. Don't they (UEFA) make sure our clubs get drawn against each other if there is a danger of too many progressing?
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 258, 259, 260  Next

Jump to:  
Page 56 of 260

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in