MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Importance of Sport (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 260, 261, 262  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

The word here in Moscow is that while Russia could not, for practical reasons, be punished re the hosting of the World Cup, the displeasure will be expressed by arranging for an England vs Ukraine final.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Normally AE follows the bookies odds since they are an expression of all that is known about all the teams. However there does seem to be an exceptional opportunity to back Russia at 40-1. This would seem, on its face, to be generous anyway given how well host nations do -- but of course that is part of 'all that is known'.

What bookies are not good at is accounting for skullduggery since it is normally designed to outwit the bookies. Host nations have form in bending the rules e.g. easy qualification groups, always playing at Wembley etc, but again this is 'known'. What is not known is the skullduggery eg Argentina needing to beat Peru by four goals and doing so. The bookies didn't see that one coming.

It will be agreed that Russian state operators c 2018 have at least the same skills, propensity and need for nefarious success as Argentinian generals c 1978 but the question is do the bookies know it? Actually the question is really "Does the underlying betting market reflect it?" I think not. I think Russia should be around 16-1. Same as England.
N R Scott

In: Middlesbrough

Mick Harper wrote:
However there does seem to be an exceptional opportunity to back Russia at 40-1.

I've been having this exact same argument with people. I have two Russians in my Sun dream team because of this, goal keeper and defender.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

ODI Scotland beat England

Scotsmen are qualified for England under the Mike Denness rule. Just saying.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

World Cup Preparations

wall chart: check
Guardian Guide to the teams: check
two television sets: check
Jack Wilshere Memorial Shrine: check
group stage qualification pathway matrices: check
drug cocktails: check
propelling pencil: check
erection: check
manifest sense of destiny: check
aurelius

Mick Harper wrote:

It will be agreed that Russian state operators c 2018 have at least the same skills, propensity and need for nefarious success as Argentinian generals c 1978

It seems they have yet to extend their nefarious operations into the Womens' game as Wales beat them 3-0 in the qualifying group. With only two matches to play England are on 16 points and Russia on 7. Wales will be the other team to qualify having 17 points.

Plan B could be food poisoning or a nobbling by another team (under Russian supervision) at the knockout stage. We know how much the Welsh like to get one over the English...
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Why, is the Women's World Cup being held in Russia? If so, they ought not to have to qualify. If you knew your Russians better they positively exult at their womenfolk being no good at football. The Welsh possess no skills, at nobbling or anything else. Bale looks like a girl so there could be some room for manoeuvre there, plus he's not cup-tied. But who on earth watches women's football anyway? The England team might get a game on Hackney marshes if they asked nicely.

I am in a bad temper because a compulsory family holiday means spring cleaning. Here's a tip: a lightweight fold-up director's chair means you can sit down most of the time.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

When an LBW is described as 'very adjacent' that surely means it is not out.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

The commentator was struggling to convey the imperfect world of LBW decisions.......

I get your desire for better commentary.....here is my own suggestion.....

The batsman is Holding the bowlers Willey......

There is a massive appeal.....

WC wrote:

"Hawkeye is showing the batsman is out, of course this is only the Hawk's best guess, we don't actually know whether the ball would have hit the stumps, but with the use of video assisted technology we can be (err) reasonably sure.... however in the interests of accuracy....there still remains a margin of error, and you might want to consider how accurate Hawkeye is, as this actually hands the test to England and (err) Holding was half way down the wicket when he was hit on the pads"
Wile E. Coyote

It really annoys me that Womens Rugby is not more inclusive towards that tend to the petite.

I am going to start a petition. It is pretty blatant.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The commentator was struggling to convey the imperfect world of LBW decisions.

No, he wasn't. The phrase is only used as a synonym for 'plumb' and is an example of 'commentator tics', that is stock phrases they fall back on. Like 'plumb'. These often become 'lore' as, in the case of rugby, when only scrum halves can go on 'sniping runs'. They can even reach the stage of being thought technical expressions e.g. in baseball the phrase 'bases loaded' is so entrenched no other possible description is available. Now would you mind? If I don't finish this by tonight my sister, who is bigger than me, is going to be very, very cross.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

On the subject of technology, this year's World Cup will be using VAR to assist referees in some areas. Probably about time but all the same, can't help wondering what have line assistants been doing all these years? Now that VAR is operational, they may become more proactive. About time.
Wile E. Coyote

VAR Virtually Adjacent Refereeing. Mick will love this.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I do the jokes round here. Though not for a week as I am off on my hols.
Wile E. Coyote

I am really disappointed that Putin has failed to come up with a suitably authentic Russian, freedom crushing, military anthem for a world cup song. I was hoping for lots of marching not sexy gyrating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V15BYnSr0P8

Altogether

Oh oh, oh oh oh oh!
Oh oh, oh oh oh oh!
Oh oh, oh oh oh oh?
Oh oh, oh oh oh oh!!

FIFA should have given the Cup to North Korea. They would have hit the correct tone....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJUtcdYMldQ
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 260, 261, 262  Next

Jump to:  
Page 67 of 262

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in