MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Importance of Sport (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65 ... 258, 259, 260  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aurelius

Cos those are 'takes' aren't they.

Many catches are dropped in the slips because there is confusion as to who is nearest/responsible. Is it because the keeper has a more clearly defined and larger area to defend and precedence over the nearest slip?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

You're not including 'catches' to include when the batsman makes no contact with the ball are you?

No, 'catches' are different from catches.

The ball having already bounced in front of the wicket, that is.

This applies to both wicket-keeper and slips.

If these are counted, then as a proportion the keeper would have a higher success rate because the probability of the ball carrying to him/her would be greater than it carrying to the slips therefore they would be more expectant of receiving it.

Your answer is confused, confusing, wrong but containing a pointer to the solution.

Cos those are 'takes' aren't they.

Yes. i.e. no.

Many catches are dropped in the slips because there is confusion as to who is nearest/responsible. Is it because the keeper has a more clearly defined and larger area to defend and precedence over the nearest slip?

Yes, it is true the keeper has more defined responsibility because the legside is all his but, no, because it is a common observation that confusion between wicket-keeper and first slip is more prevalent than between any other combination.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

1. Put Mick and three other under-fourteens round a slip cradle.
2. Conduct slip fielding practice for fifteen minutes.
3. How many dropped catches?
4. None (except once when a double decker 4002 came past, the only such train on the British network).
5. Put Mick and three other youths in a slip cordon.
6. Conduct slip fielding all afternoon.
7. How many dropped catches?
8. All (except once when it hit Stapleton’s boot and spooned up).

Discuss.
aurelius

Chatter and inattention in the slips. They have each other in view, the Keeper looks straight ahead most of the time. Loss of focus during a long day, boredom even.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

We are dealing with professional cricketers, Aurelius. Do you wish to put this forward as an explanation for the general case? I can assure you, by the way, that we were keen as mustard and chatter would not be allowed. But our keeper was just as bad as the rest of us when we did. Indeed occasionally I was that keeper. I don't make a big thing about it now but modesty is, as we say in AE, a form of lying.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Don King's presence at Mar-a-lago over the Easter weekend can only mean one thing. Trump intends to challenge Anthony Joshua for the heavyweight title. We must keep our nerve and say no.
aurelius

Mick Harper wrote:
Do you wish to put this forward as an explanation for the general case? .

That was my intention.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I'm surprised to hear Test match cricketers are at, or a bit below, our under-14's and that they do not 'look down the pitch'. Perhaps trainspotting is a problem for them too. No doubt Hatty is correct and I should watch a whole day's play to get a flavour of this long day's boredom into day/night that, according to Aurelius, so affects our top professional slip fielders. Especially first thing in the morning I've noticed. And the afternoon. And the evening.

Oh well, I will leave it there. None of you deserve the truth or rather if I did tell you the truth you'd all say, "Oh yes, we knew that. Big deal."
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Mick Harper wrote:
I had better finish off the handball scandal rocking the nation.

was the players hand/arm in an unnatural position. The guidance of the law is based on this and not what is in the players head

Mane's hand was in a completely natural position (for picking up the ball) and there is no dispute about what was in his head (he thought a foul had been committed). Perhaps this scenario will help: a corner comes over, the centre half rises like a swallow and ... neatly catches the ball in both hands. The ref blows. The centre half then says he heard a whistle in the crowd and thought it was the ref's. This is confirmed by one or two others. Now the ref has a choice: he can award a penalty for handball (if he's feeling harsh) or a dropped ball (if not) but what he can't do is give the centre half a yellow card for 'deliberate handball' even though it was.

In case any of you doubt the wisdom of my argument, ask yourself why the ref on Saturday didn't give Mane a yellow (and then a red card). Because he knew the law, dummies.

Here in the Dive Bar, we are reluctantly forced to concede that Mick has (unintentionally) convinced us that the wife was right. Which as she sometimes posts under my name, I would like to humbly point out she always is.

It should be no business of Ref to judge what is going on in a player's head, that is for speculation later in the saloon bar......where folks have little idea what they believe themselves, let alone the thought process of another.

The ref decides on whether the player was onside or offside, not the attacker's intention. The ref decides whether a tackle is dangerous or not (foot up,studs showing) rather than whether the player was believed to be going for the ball. The ref decides on whether the player had two feet on the ground when undertaking a throw in. The fact the Zoltan Michaelevski has one leg shorter than the other and was doing his level best, should be no defence against God's shrill whistle.

If we accept the above we must accept that the handball rule is an anachronism.

It must be written out. Accidental and deliberate handballs will then disappear. You will be left with technical infringements that players will then seek to eliminate, which they will. The better players will adapt better. Such is progress.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

There is a certain amount of truth in these observations. Hockey (field hockey for North American members) adopts this policy, decreeing that the ball hitting a foot is handball (if you see what I mean) irrespective of intent, accident, clumsiness etc. It is an absolute offence. Though having said that I don't know what the position is if Player A deliberately drives the ball into Player B's foot. Hockey players wouldn't do this anyway because they are all gentlemen.

Wiley's point about better players adapting could well be true. A few years ago the handball law (or at any rate the interpretation of the handball law regarding 'intent') was changed leading to defenders conspicuously holding their arms to their side, even behind their back, in the penalty area. That never used to happen. However, everybody (especially refs) get even this wrong when it comes to a free kick hitting an arm 'in the wall'. This is rarely given but, if the refs thought about it, the defenders are already 'seeking to gain an advantage' by forming the wall so irrespective of where the arm is, it's a pen.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Yes, I know, we were all supporting Liverpool because Man City are the new Man United but remember this: Liverpool will go out with a whimper in the semis, City would probably have won the lot. And don't forget Liverpool are the old Man United.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

There is no limit to conspiracy theory opportunities. And it's mainstream -- both these stories warranted front page (in new media terms) coverage. They concern how UEFA ensures that the good teams are kept apart in the apparently random draw.
1. The favoured balls gently vibrate and the celebrity footballers tasked with plucking them out have been bribed
2. Tickets for Liverpool vs Roma were on sale before the draw.

There will shortly be another conspiracy theory (possibly a power struggle within UEFA) to account for the fact that the Real Madrid vs Bayern outcome was the one they didn't want. We can only be thankful Middlesboro didn't make the semis this year.
N R Scott

In: Middlesbrough

Mick Harper wrote:
We can only be thankful Middlesboro didn't make the semis this year.

There's still time for conspiracies about the Championship playoffs.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

You're right. They'll make damn sure third plays sixth and fourth plays fifth. Those bastards.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

We must, however reluctantly, prance about congratulating Man City on winning the League (as I still defiantly call it). Everyone on telly waxes lyrical about them but I still find them boring. Not as boring as Man Utd though they cheered us all up immensely by losing to WBA at home. Not just boring then but, unlike City, useless as well. It is difficult to comprehend why nobody is discussing Mourinho's sacking (which presumably means he won't be). Given the basic money-to-results equation for judging success at the top level he must surely be the worst manager around.

It may be Theresa May syndrome -- the alternatives are worse. There is a limited pool of 'top managers' and, as Newcastle vs Arsenal demonstrated, all of them are superannuated, failures at present/past clubs and foreign. No Brit has got a top job since Ferguson/Moyes (can that really be true?) so maybe it is worth trying again with Dyche or the Bournemouth chappie. Even Chris Hughton.

I apologise for the saloon bar tendencies in these maunderings but I'm under a lot of pressure. i.e. no pressure.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65 ... 258, 259, 260  Next

Jump to:  
Page 64 of 260

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in