MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Importance of Sport (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 194, 195, 196 ... 258, 259, 260  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

30th January 1649 England execute Charles I
10th September 2022 England 154-7

Coincidence?
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Mick Harper wrote:
30th January 1649 England execute Charles I
10th September 2022 England 154-7

Coincidence?

It's a bad start, but I seem to remember even the odd hiccup during the reign of The Great Queen Elizabeth II.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Yes, that was George VI and his confounded stutter.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

"...and Tottenham Hotspur will become the first English league team to take the field in the reign of King Charles the Third"

Some of us can remember the original King Charles

William John Charles CBE was a Welsh footballer who played as a centre-forward or as a centre-back. Best known for his first stint at Leeds United and Juventus.
He was rated by many as the greatest all-round footballer ever to come from Britain.
Grant

Pub quizzes are also sport.
The Queen was the only monarch to attend the funeral of three former British monarchs. Who were they?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

That's a good one but you don't get past this wily bird. George VI, Edward VIII and ... well, let's see if the muppets know the third. I do, honest.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Matchday Something or Other

Weird goings on at Maine Road. City play as an incredible oiled machine for an hour then Catford Bellingham scores for Dortmundo. He's now a midfield general, Germans always needing firm direction from a teenage Brit. This results in three simultaneous substitutions and the City first team are on. El Blessed One is playing a new system which involves a back four but one of them is always in the midfield (or something, he'll know). So Stones shoots. The goalie actually ducked out of the way. Never seen that before. Let's hope it won't be 'catching'. (Little joke there for you.) Then the latest goal-of-the-century. Mahrez curls a pass with the outside of his boot whereupon Haaland launches himself off the ground backwards and the net is bulging. Never seen that before.

Meanwhile the team they're calling Potter's Lott (it's a reference to Lott's Road power station apparently) start their renaissance with a home draw against Austrian no-hopes. El Villano Aubameyang taken off after sixty-five minutes of total futility.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Grant wrote:
Pub quizzes are also sport.
The Queen was the only monarch to attend the funeral of three former British monarchs. Who were they?

Edward VIII, George VI, the Queen Mother
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I'll answer for Grant. "The Queen Mother was not a monarch."
Grant

Edward VIII, George VI and Richard III
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Oh! I got it wrong. I thought it was Edward VIII, George VI and Elizabeth II. That's the first thing I've got wrong since the midwife said, "Do you want to come out now?" Quite good, Grant, but don't make a habit of showing me up.

PS Hatty, are you going to use this or can I? (We are about to embark on a seven-day family holiday.)
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

I thought the right answer would turn out to be George V, George VI and Edward VIII. George V died in 1936 so presumably she attended? To be pedantic, the Richard III ceremony was relatively low-key, a reinterment rather than a funeral, and although some minor royals were there, the queen didn't attend.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Aged ten? Would such an impressionable mind be allowed to attend the funeral of someone whose last words were "Bugger Bognor"? Though officially it was "Tell the Empire they were in my thoughts to the end" or somesuch. I wonder whether we shall hear either the official or the actual last words of Her Maj. Long did she reign.

And don't spoil Grant's quiz questions with your absurd demands for accuracy. As the quizmaster in my pub says, "There's a right answer, there's a wrong answer, and there's my answer, so shut your face."
Grant

Harry’s ruined my question. I’ll have to rephrase it.

QE2 lived through the burials of four earlier English monarchs. Who were they? That brings in George V of course, but there’s something nice about the number three
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Quiz Master. "and Richard III"

Wiley "Objection! The radiocarbon dating suggested 1430-1460 and 1412-1449, both well outside the actual year of the King's death, in 1485."

Quiz Master "Imbecile he had a seafood diet" "This means that the dates are entirely consistent with 1485".
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 194, 195, 196 ... 258, 259, 260  Next

Jump to:  
Page 195 of 260

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in