MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Importance of Sport (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 189, 190, 191 ... 260, 261, 262  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

You have as usual hit the nail with your head. Modern football at the top level is down to whether you need to have one or two defensive midfielders. Or maybe if you can afford the very costly players that can do both. However I am not sure it's down to the fallibility of defenders. More likely it is the ability of the whole team knowing instinctively how and where to deploy at all stages of open play.

It may be an example of my old bete noire about English footballers not having basic intelligence because (a) they get creamed off by middle class rugby and (b) English crowds demand blood and thunder. However, I am satisfied these two factors are no longer of any great significance so I find I have disappeared up my own Arsenal, Arsenal, Arseno-o-ol. Bournemouth and top o' the world, ma.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

It's not often the passing of a groundsman gets mentioned here but Steve Braddock was, as I have mentioned more than once, the father of modern football when he produced 'the Highbury pitch' which allowed ticky-tacky football every week instead of just on the first day of the season.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Panegyric of the Week

...the first Leeds player to score in the first three games of a top flight season since the great Mick Jones in 1968...

I've done the maths and that means there are at least 17,408 great players.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I know it's going to be boring watching us running away with the Premiership but have some sympathy. Being arrogant for a whole season can get pretty boring too.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

The Commentators Curse

“If it wasn’t obvious enough, Leon is broken now,”.... “And the biggest tell that you can always know this is because he doesn’t give his coach eye contact in the corner. When you don’t give him eye contact, you’re ashamed. And he’s embarrassed right now of his own performance.”

This is quite normal, the pundit looks at the body language of the person losing, and concludes it's all over. Most of the time the pundit/ oracle will be correct. The person losing will lose. The curse only exists based on the small percentage of times the fight dramtically turns. It is just these turnarounds are memorable and we all like to see the oracle proven wrong.

What happens after the fight is that other oracles, with knowledge of the result, then start showing their expertise. You can never write off Rocky, he had planned the devastating head kick for months. A VT now shows that Edwardes corner called for a head kick a few seconds before it rendered Usman unconcious.

What is happening is that 2 oracles tell a story, both are incorrect.

Story 1 is based on the body language of the fighter during the fight.

Story 2 is based on the cunning master plan after we know the result.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

So if there is anything to this curse, everything you've just commented on will turn out to be bollocks. But if that's the case then...
Mick Harper
Site Admin

One Shot Football Factory (Sky Documentaries)
South of the River (BT Sport)
The Academy (Channel 4)

You wait a billion years for mudskippers to evolve into south London footballers and three documentaries come along at once. But now, since one of them claimed that a sixth of premiership footballers come from sarf-east London, they deserve all the coverage they get. I would probably have been one myself except, after my trial for Lewisham primary schools, jealous rivals within my own family scuppered my chances by sending me to a rugby-playing grammar school. But enough about me, why South London? Here's a clue:

What does Copacabana Beach and a West Norwood 'cage' have in common?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Manchester United 2 Liverpool 1

An exciting relegation six-pointer between yesterday's northern power houses. Any team that has James Milner in the starting eleven for a must-winner is not going to be battling for honours. Any team that is 2-1 up with ten minutes to go and brings on Cristiano Ronaldo will not be battling for honours.

Chief moments of tactical interest:
1. The old gambit of playing a corner direct to a player standing centrally ten yards outside the box is both inefficient and dangerous. It only worked once, the first time it was ever used, but quite often results in the defending side galloping away up the park against minimal opposition. Unless you've got Alexander-Arnold. He didn't kick it toward Salah, he placed it on the end of Salah's boot. Who blazed it over but that's another story. He's looking less and less like the highest paid player in the world (o.n.o.) with every game.

2. United's second goal was clearly offside but the bung was in. The United player could have released Rashford when they were both in their own half instead of waiting an eternity for the Boy Wonder to run offside. There was no need for him to do so even then but his mind must have been on Michelin-star food handouts. Or listening to Roy Keane praising him at half-time. That must be unnerving.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Both are unsuited to proper football. So just as Copacabana produced a generation of keepy-uppey ball skill maestros, so the cages of Peckham Rye, Brockley and all stops to Croydon West have produced a generation of footballers adept at wriggling out of tight spaces next to the fence while vicious hoodlums are trying to kick the living shits out of them. Exactimo! Just like today's Premier League. And why England produce wing backs the like of which the world has never seen.

Although the era might already be over. Wan-Bissaka, whose transfer to Man Utd paid for the Palace Academy's multi-million refurbishment, has been dropped to the reserves. We must look to the women from now on. When it comes to being kicked up the arse because you won't turn the light out, there is no finer gender.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

M J Harper's Annual Eurogroup of Death Analysis

Group A: Ajax, Liverpool, Napoli, Rangers
Group B: Porto, Atlético, Leverkusen, Club Brugge
Group C: Bayern, Barcelona, Inter, Viktoria Plzeň
Group D: Frankfurt, Tottenham, Sporting CP, Marseille
Group E: AC Milan, Chelsea, Salzburg, Dinamo
Group F: Real Madrid, Leipzig, Shakhtar, Celtic
Group G: Man. City, Sevilla, Dortmund, Copenhagen
Group H: Paris, Juventus, Benfica, Maccabi Haifa

The devil was in the fourth pot. Spurs were on easy street till they got Marseille, Liverpool pulled their knackers out of the fire when they got Rangers. On the other hand both got easier top seeds in Frankfurt and Ajax respectively. What system produces Frankfurt seeded ahead of Liverpool?

Man City were group of death favourites but then got a Copenhagen plum so they are (as usual, it has to be said) in a perm-two-from-three situation with Seville and Dortmund. Chelsea only have to beat Salzburg and Dynamo Zagreb, which even they should do. All in all, everyone should get through. As per normal(ish).

I'm still working out how Celtic are in there. Were they champions? I should have been told. Does Scotland now have right of direct entry? I should have been told. Anyway, good to see you both but don't hang around too long, it lowers the tone. (How Rangers got past PSV is something only the woodwork and their strikers will ever know. You should have seen the Dutch faces at the end.)
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

The person who will be worst nightmare for any premiership defender will be Isak. The Newcastle signing is a centre forward from Real Sociedad, and he combines Carlton Palmer (for most of the game) with the the odd splash of Thierry Henry. Good luck ever trying to predict what he will do next. Alan Shearer he isn't. At 60 million he is massively overpriced.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Simon Harmer had an interesting experience when he turned up at Old Trafford on the morning of the second test. He'd brought all his clobber and he had a note from his mum so he had to be given a game, but for who? He was qualified for both teams.

The captains did a quick ee-pah-voo, England won, so he's playing for South Africa.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I was checking whether I'd spelled ee-pah-voo properly and discovered that apparently we were the only school in the world that didn't say Rock, Paper, Scissors or some similar plummy mouthful that would get your head stoved in at my school. And I was at one of the posher Catford primaries. Can anyone dredge up memories about this? I hate feeling alone.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Talk of the devil, we've drawn both PSV and Sociedad

Arsenal PSV Bodø/Glimt Zurich
Man Utd Real Socieadad Sheriff Omonioa

If Rangers got past PSV, we've got a fighting chance. But we'll have to look out for trolls with glimts in their eyes and gnomes of Zurich outmuscling us in the box. United's big problem will be finding Sheriff and Omonioa on the map. "I think it's right then left past Tiramasu, boss."
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In any case, who's heard of 'rock'. It's stone, paper and scissors, everyone knows that. Plus -- at our school anyway -- there was dynamite. This was mainly frowned on but if you came out with one finger and shouted "Dynamite" then (a) you blew up stone but (b) had your fuse cut by scissors or if (c) up against paper, did it again but now dynamite was tacitly agreed to be in play. The drawback of dynamite was that if your opponent had (a) he said, "We're not playing dynamite." But if (b) didn't.

Of course the truly weird thing is everyone always came out with stone first and anyone who took advantage of this by choosing paper was considered a girl. Only the fat kid started with scissors.

PS It was hic haec hoc at my mum's school which considering its demographic was pretty remarkable.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 189, 190, 191 ... 260, 261, 262  Next

Jump to:  
Page 190 of 262

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in