MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Importance of Sport (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 139, 140, 141 ... 258, 259, 260  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Firstly get rid of VAR when a player is taking a penalty. If a ref and assistant ref cant spot an infringement, in that simple situation it is not clear and obvious.

Second if the play has progressed 30 seconds after a possible incident it cannot be overturned. Sorry but if it was that clear and obvious the VAR man would have made his mind up. It wouldn't require constant reviews.

Thirdly Grant is right.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

This would certainly mitigate the present situation when, if a goal is scored, one does not leap out of one's chair but one pulls the blanket up, asks the nurse to pour out another glass of Sanatogen and you both wait patiently to see if a goal has been scored. Not that she's really interested. She pretends to share my enthusiasms in the hope I'll leave her something.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

I'm told that Gareth Bale is being praised for the quality of his warm-ups along the touchline. It inspired his teammates to a win against some other team.
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

Manchester United are monitoring Atletico Madrid's English defender Kieran Trippier, 30, as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer targets right-back competition for English full-back Aaron Wan-Bissaka, 23. (Telegraph)

I hope this one comes off. His dad Chris and his three older brothers are all massive United fans (as I assume Kieran still is). He signed for City’s academy as a kid, but his heart pumps red.

(Did I ever mention my younger daughter and her pal, used to push little Trip around the streets in his trolley, to give his poor mother a break?)
Chad

Thinking about it, if his dad was a real United fan (like what I am) he would never have allowed his youngest to join City.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Spurs 2 Arsenal 0

Since their current managers were hired at the same time, we are entitled to compare their progress. I was bitterly critical of both appointments -- overcooked in one case, undercooked in the other -- but it seems I was only half-right. The Twatty One is top of the pile, though I still don't believe in this rely-on-breakaways theory in the long run (just park a body in the centre circle) whereas the beetle-browed one has turned out to be a bust.

You can be a work-in-progress after a year but you can't still be going backwards to go forwards. I don't mind him learning on the job but let him do it where tyro managers are supposed to do it. At Derby County. Or Rangers... yes, I advocate appointing Steven Gerard and seeing once again if England can cope with both him and Frank Lampard at the same time..
Mick Harper
Site Admin

West Brom 1 Palace 5

Everyone has got this sending-off wrong. The bloke did not kick out at all (and, Wrighty, if he did don't tell us it was all in a day's work in your day). If you watch it in super slo-mo, a frame at a time, you will see that the bloke's feet were quite naturally in the air after his tumble (caused remember by a foul) and the other bloke ran onto his upturned studs. I could not detect any movement towards the onrushing groin but even if there was the teensiest one, it would be a perfectly natural defensive reflex when you are upturned helplessly on the ground and a premiership footballer is bearing down on you..

If you don't believe me, have a look at the geezer's expression when shown the red card. We are all fluent in "Wot me, guv?" in many European languages and this wasn't one of them.
Chad

I advocate appointing Steven Gerard

I believe Patrick Vieira’s available.

(And maybe he could try and get his old pal Roy Keane as his assistant.)
Mick Harper
Site Admin

These all make my point. Viera's been touted from way back but just isn't managerial timbre. He gets appointed from time to time for Zinedine reasons ie famous face fits. Roy Keane is one such but more interesting. He was very successful at Sunderland but spluttered after that. His temperament presumably only suited to certain situations.

The point about Gerrard (and Lampard) is they've served their apprenticeship as No 1's and not been shown wanting. That's all you can ask. Nobody knows whether such people can 'step up' but it's worth taking the risk. Being a No 2 like Arteta is wholly irrelevant so appointing him as a No 1 is like appointing any ex-player with a coaching badge. You may have to do that in the lower divisions but to risk a coupla years of Arsenal history on it is ludicrous.

It is always a risk even appointing a proven top manager. Mourinho is a famous face that didn't work out with his last two gigs but now suddenly has. Look at Leicester. Ranieri and Rodgers. Up and down, up and down. Neither rhyme nor reason. But at least we would have a likeable manager with Gerrard. Dear Spurs fans, how do you like the bad smell of success? Try reading your man, John Crace, in the Guardian for the answer.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

You may not be aware of it but the draw for the 2022 World Cup qualifying groups was conducted yesterday. As befits this murkiest of all events ("And the winning candidate is ... Doha") the draw was not on Eurosport, not on Sky, not on the BBC but on FIFA-TV. But at least tradition was observed. England have got a breeze, Wales are in the group of death and with the other home nations it doesn't matter one way or the other.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

"The black guy needs sending off"

These words have sent the world of sport into a tail spin. Everyone is so busy expressing outrage it is difficult finding out what actually happened but, apparently, this is what the fourth official said to the ref at the Paris SG game. We are told the officiating crew was Romanian so it was presumably spoken in Romanian but Demba Ba got the gist and off everyone went. Even making no allowance for Romanians not really being up to speed in hyper-modern racial etiquette, it does not seem to equate to melt-down.

Compare and contrast something else that happened yesterday. Abu Dhabi ('the Emirates') bought Beitar Jerusalem, the Millwall of Israel, who won't permit Israeli Arabs in the team. A riot stopped the game when a (Muslim) Chechen player came on as substitute. Maybe UEFA could look into this. No chance.

PS Does the red card still count?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Midtjylland 1 Liverpool 1

There cannot be many goals scored in Denmark if being three yards out one-on-one with the keeper is not considered to be a goal-scoring opportunity. Otherwise Liverpool's young goalie would have had to go. The Danes probably take the same view the Corinthian-Casuals do when awarded a penalty -- they just boot the ball away because it is an inherently unfair situation.

Whether deliberately giving the opposition a goal start from the kick-off is part of the same syndrome I cannot say until I slo-mo the VAR footage. Which was frankly shocking. No idea when it comes to building tension. Lines, what lines? Look at Hamlet. Took an Englishman, am I right? Mind you, a lot of those lines need cutting. Bor-ing!
Mick Harper
Site Admin

What is the plural of Lukaku?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Justice Cocklecarrot here. Was Vardy ahead of the ball? Depends which side of the ball you're talking about.
Grant

What’s the chance of Arsenal going back to the second division for the first time since 1914?
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 139, 140, 141 ... 258, 259, 260  Next

Jump to:  
Page 140 of 260

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in