MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Importance of Sport (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 125, 126, 127 ... 260, 261, 262  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I am glad Wolves lost. Who wants to watch two dreary, see 'em very week, couldn't give a monkeys who wins, English teams trying to decide something or other? On the other hand, Manchester United versus Seville, two top teams in a titanic international battle to reach the final of a major European trophy is something I will happily settle back to watch on the highlights.

Chad will, I think, agree with me that Seville are slight favourites. Which is not good news because it means the final will be between two teams of foreigners about whom we care not a jot, a tittle or a jotul. If only Wolves had played Man United in the semis we would have had someone to shout for. But, regretfully, it was not to be.
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

Couldn't agree more. Even if wolves had gone on to reach the final, at United's expense, I would still have had a dog in that fight... (My dog's a Wolves fan.)
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I think you will find the two species bifurcated at least a million years ago even though both sets of fans can theoretically breed with one another. It's just persuading anyone to breed with either, never mind each other.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Though Hatty's grandchildren are eloquent testimony that it can be done. It may be, as some have argued, that Manchester United fans, who now have no connection with their ancestral homeland, may have acquired tempered genetic characteristics. Wolves fans should continue to be approached only by licenced handlers. Tyrone Mings tells me.
Chad

I married a City fan and produced three viable offspring.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Neither of you had much choice.
Chad

Chad wrote:
I married a City fan and produced three viable offspring.

Fortunately all three carry the dominant United gene, and successfully passed it on to the subsequent generation.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Or you stopped their pocket money.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Mick Harper wrote:
I am glad Wolves lost. Who wants to watch two dreary, see 'em very week, couldn't give a monkeys who wins, English teams trying to decide something or other? On the other hand, Manchester United versus Seville, two top teams in a titanic international battle to reach the final of a major European trophy is something I will happily settle back to watch on the highlights.

I haven't really followed the Inter City Fairs Cup since UEFA took it over and abolished what was the sensible rule of only allowing one team per city. Quite rightly the English FA originally refused to accept this Euro nonsense so that in 69-70 Liverpool (2nd), Arsenal (4th), Southampton (7th), and Newcastle United (9th-also holders) got the places, at the expense of Everton (3rd), Chelsea (5th), Tottenham Hotspur (6th), and West Ham United (8th). We bent the knee to the Eurocrats, in 1975.

I am sure Boris will put this right and we will once again enter a combined London X1 (The Combined London X1 finished runners up in the Fairs cup in 1958). No doubt our combined boys will look good next year before going out in a hard fought Qtr final to Maccabi Tel Aviv.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Boreades wrote:
M'Lady favours Soviet Deep Battle tactics.

Phwoar.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Fortunately all three carry the dominant United gene, and successfully passed it on to the subsequent generation.

My own father adopted a more laissez-faire approach. "I'm not interested in football myself, son, but I understand from your mother that you are. I want you to choose between Charlton, Millwall and Crystal Palace and I will take you there once. After that you can make your own way." Charlton 1 Newcastle 1 (accompanied); Charlton 3 West Bromwich Albion 2 (unaccompanied).
Mick Harper
Site Admin

No doubt our combined boys will look good next year before going out in a hard fought Qtr final, to Maccabi Tel Aviv.

I fail to see the logic in your no doubt well-intentioned scheme to bring the warring factions together. What's happened to Beitar Tel Aviv and Hapoel Tel Aviv? Not to mention the Palestinian Arab team which cannot be mentioned if we are to avoid the name recognition algorithms of Shin Bet Tel Aviv.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Steve MacManaman is actually quite worth listening to as a pundit except you can't listen to him because of his aggressively Scouse accent. Sorry and all that, but the brain screens out 'sense' when it hears an aggressive Liverpool accent because Scousers actually use it aggressively for effect, and 'good sense' is not the effect they are trying to achieve.

All this is a crying shame because MacManaman, like everybody else from Liverpool, has a non-aggressive version that they employ in everyday situations. But presumably he has been advised that football is an arena ideally suited to aggressive Scouse which is generally true, though not when you are the expert half of the commentary team.
Chad

Ever noticed how Ray Parlour and Tony Cascarino are indistinguishable on the radio?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

OMG, I've been relying on Ray for absolutely yonks as Arsenal's Man of the People but I couldn't understand why he kept having such kind words for Millwall. It was Tony Cascarino!
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 125, 126, 127 ... 260, 261, 262  Next

Jump to:  
Page 126 of 262

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in