MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Importance of Sport (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 119, 120, 121 ... 260, 261, 262  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

FFP makes about much sense as VAR. It is a misplaced attempt to comfort bed-wetters, who are worried about bad and nasty things that might happen to their team.

"S'not fair."

"No it is life.....little darling" "Dont worry" "Will be all right"

Jesu get a grip...Sorry need to rephrase that one.
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

Mick Harper wrote:
Sian Massey-Ellis may be an MBE but she is still the only woman linesman in the Premiership.

A bit like Washoe… The only chimp that really got her head around sign language.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Premiership Latest

Arsenal 2 Liverpool 1 So Arsenal are playing at home, they get one third of possession, they are at the wrong end of a 24-3 shots count, two of which are goals following defensive howlers. Cue: talk of an Arsenal renaissance and a Liverpool slump. Cue: the AEL dictum, 'never judge by results'.
Man City 2 Bournemouth 1 Next year's Champions League contenders hang on grimly against next year's Championship contenders.
Burnley 1 Wolves 1 Apparently it is now a penalty offence if, while trying to get out of the way of someone trying to smash your face in with a bicycle kick, the ball accidentally hits your shoulder.

Why, asks the AEL, are penalty decisions becoming increasingly bizarre? It is for this AE reason
1. Referees are giving penalties for things they never used to because they know they've now got a VAR backstop
2. VAR officials won't overturn referees's penalty decisions because it's a judgement call and they don't want to undermine confidence in referees' judgement.

We say: you worry about our confidence in your judgement, you tosspot. Though not in those actual words.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

First Sheffield United and now Leeds. Already they're beginning to call Yorkshire the London of the North.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Did you know that Leeds people hate Sheffield people and vice versa more than any of them hate, say, Lancastrians or people from that London? But then I suppose it's the same with Liverpool and Manchester or Glasgow and Edinburgh. We here say 'Ein volk, ein reich, ein führer.' We don't hate any of you. You just don't register, I'm afraid.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Three Degrees of Separation

1. If West Brom lost to Huddersfield, Leeds would be promoted
2. Leeds are managed by an Argentinian
3. Huddersfield vs West Brom was shown live on Argentinian television.
Chad

I used to enjoy hating Leeds. I wonder how long it will be before the emotion returns.
Wile E. Coyote

Mick Harper wrote:
Premiership Latest

Why, asks the AEL, are penalty decisions becoming increasingly bizarre? It is for this AE reason
1. Referees are giving penalties for things they never used to because they know they've now got a VAR backstop
2. VAR officials won't overturn referees's penalty decisions because it's a judgement call and they don't want to undermine confidence in referees' judgement.

No it's not. The problem predates VAR. Put simply it is that Refs are being asked to judge what is legal rather that what is fair or foul. The problem with laws is that they create, unintended consequences, so there is a demand for new laws or better technology to assist. This leads to increasing complexity which leads to more unfair decisions.

Laws do not create a better culture of fair play. What created fair play was the knowledge that Stuart Pearson would hurt you if you engaged in foul play, and surprisingly the ref would only book him, for almost breaking your leg, as he could tell you were being an arse and deserved retribution. That was fair play.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Answer me this one then. Arsenal are playing 3-4-3. This is on the basis that Bellerin and Saka play right and left midfield. Bellerin is a full back and Saka is a winger. Sorry, but I don't believe a word of it.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

No its not. The problem predates VAR.

That is not my memory. There were occasional howlers but Gary never used to say with a sigh every time, "Let's first clear up the penalty decisions." He occasionally said, "We must first clear up that penalty decision."

Put simply it is that Refs are being asked to judge what is legal rather that what is fair or foul.

If you think that's simple, you're simple.

The problem with laws, is that they create, unintended consequences, so there is a demand for new laws or better technology to assist. This leads to increasing complexity which leads to more unfair decisions.

Let us tease out what Wiley is trying to say here because he is onto something. The laws haven't changed since 1873 when the Dun Cow in Accrington laid them down. Better technology, i.e. instant replay, led not to demands for better laws but for better referees. Since better referees are not available this has led to an increased awareness of wrong decisions. There is no such thing as an unfair decision but there is such a thing as a de minimis decision i.e. the infraction is too small to warrant sanction. Because of even better technology, i.e. VAR, referees are no longer able to apply de minimis principles because they will just be overturned by VAR.

Laws do not create a better culture of fair play. What created fair play was the knowledge that Stuart Pearson would hurt you if you engaged in foul play, and surprisingly the ref would only book him, for almost breaking your leg, as he could tell you were being an arse and deserved retribution. That was fair play.

The good old days. I decline to live in them.
Chad

What is the point of having a second referee in a box reviewing decisions, when the the guy who is nominally in charge can watch the replays himself?

Isn’t that how it was used (successfully) in the World Cup, or is my memory playing tricks?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

It is the time factor. By the time they've set up the monitor and he's trotted over to it and got the backcloth over his head so he can see the action on the tiny screen and asked for all the replays and then again to make sure and then run back to the centre circle again, making those peculiar gestures that nobody understands, you're well into the cricket season.

But you've hit on the solution. The ref watches it on the big screen along with everyone else, thirty seconds max, the screen goes dark and he shouts, "Go-o-o-o-al" or "E-e--e-e-arly bath." Or 'Play on.'
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The Cricket Debate (Sky Sports)

I find I cannot watch Sky's nightly analysis of the day's play in the test match any more. Not because Covid has all the participants in their living rooms, I just miss Bob Willis too much.
Wile E. Coyote

Chad wrote:
What is the point of having a second referee in a box reviewing decisions, when the the guy who is nominally in charge can watch the replays himself?

Isn’t that how it was used (successfully) in the World Cup, or is my memory playing tricks?

Why not give the decision to the TV pundits covering the game? After all, they always get it right.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Mick wrote:
The ref watches it on the big screen along with everyone else, thirty seconds max

I have been giving my own suggestion some more thought. Yes, it was that good. On the field everyone sees what the ref sees. You take a view, he takes a view. You call him a wanker, the game goes on. Now, all is changed and the process disappears behind the arras. Irrespective of the longueurs, a fatal schism has been introduced between us and them in the decision-making process.

But, if the ref and us are all looking at the Big Screen, we are now both looking at the same but improved version of reality and the chances of either side being wrong is much reduced. Even if we still don't agree we can just call him a wanker as before and the game goes on with a minimum of delay.

In fact, with this scenario, VAR becomes like DRS, a positively pleasurable part of the game. Let's hear it for Mick, he's only gone and done it (again).
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 119, 120, 121 ... 260, 261, 262  Next

Jump to:  
Page 120 of 262

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in