MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Importance of Sport (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 116, 117, 118 ... 258, 259, 260  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

A date that should go down in history? Arsenal supporters are leading the way back.

Battersea Park, London, on Bank Holiday Friday, 8th May 2020.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

At last, a news story. And no, I am not referring to the Bundesliga kicking off tomorrow. Who cares if the Germans are several light years ahead of everyone else. They deserve each other. No, this is a "Only in America" story. Imagine the equivalent of a Spurs first teamer and and an Aston Villa squad player gatecrashing a party of rich people and holding them up. After they've got stacks of cash and a number of Rolexes, a party guest wanders in and the Spurs player orders a third blagger they've brought along to shoot the guy. He didn't. Now they're on the lam (separate cars: a Mercedes Benz, a Lamborghini and a BMW), the FBI are after them on four charges of armed robbery and the NFL is pondering what kind of suspension this warrants. They can forget the whole of the 2020 season.

Fun fact: the minimum wage in the NFL is $480,000.
Boreades

If you had told me it was a Spurs player and a West Ham player, and Pele, and a few Ipswich Town players, I would have assumed it must be a remake of Escape to Victory. Or a prequel, that explains why a load of footballers are all together in a prison in the first place. Just before they invite a Bundesliga team over to play them.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I had a trial for Lewisham Primary Schools and (allegedly) worked as a motorbike courier while signing on, but this is different league.
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

worked as a motorbike courier while signing on

Large jaw, high cheekbones.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

It was nurture rather than nature. I was a middle child. Never had much of a chance. It's no excuse, I know that, but being a member of the so-called Golden Generation, when you're given everything on a plate, what choice do you have but to ask for a bigger plate.
Boreades

Harpo, have you got your kit ready?

Premier League clubs have unanimously voted to resume contact training as 'Project Restart' moves to phase two. Players will be able to "train as a group and engage in tackling while minimising unnecessary close contact," a statement said.

Martin Keown, Sol Campbell, Dave Mackay, Norman Hunter, Vinnie Jones, Chopper Harris, and Stuart Pearce will all be asked to maintain a two-metre distance. Someone will have to explain to them that that's six feet. Or how far six foot is. Unless they are already six feet under.
Chad

These guys always maintained a two metre distance... between the ball and the player being tackled.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

We all knew that VAR would lead to more breaks in play, but this is getting ridiculous.
Boreades

Don't mention the cricket.

The fastest growing nation in world cricket is ....

(wait for it)

(have you guessed yet?)

(no idea?)

Germany.

And it's all thanks to the Taliban.

This year, Germany won the European Division One tournament for the first time in its history and last week the country marked its return to Division Five of the World Cricket League after a nine-year hiatus with a one-wicket victory over Ghana.

Vorsprung durch leg-spinners

“There are hundreds of young Afghans in their late teens – many of them fast bowlers and quite a few spinners – who are going to qualify to play for Germany in the next couple of years,”

Where did they come from?

There are almost 300,000 Afghans here now. In certain parts of that country, cricket was the only sport that was tolerated by the Taleban because you can’t not tolerate something that everybody loves.

And they are doing it the best way, hard work and dedication.

A lot of them didn’t think you could get cricket bats here so they ended up getting loose pieces of wood and chiselled away at them until they had something resembling one. They then took them into the park and started playing with a taped-up ball. At the beginning, cricket was all a lot of these guys had.

Things can only get better?

We get a lot of donations from the Lords Taverners and last week we received a delivery from Shropshire County Cricket Club. You give these guys old pads and a bat that’s almost 20 years old and it’s like all their Christmas’s have come at once.

So when Germany beats England at cricket, we know who to thank.
Chad

David Luiz... a fine centre back.

Keep it up my lad!

But to be serious for a moment... how does he manage to persuade a succession of top flight managers to play him in that position when every football fan knows he is actually a defensive midfielder?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Yes, that was the difference.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

For some reason folks have got it into their heads that the Hawkeye goal line technology did not work. It did.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I have reached the mournful stage (again, after three seasons of it with Wenger) of hoping we lose to Southampton tonight. We have to get rid of Arteta at 'the end of the season' whatever that means. You will recall that I did not predict he would be a failure, only that it was an error to appoint him because he had no track record and therefore would probably be a failure.

But notice the unanimous view of the pundits (and I have no doubt of the poltroons on the Arsenal board): he must be given time. He must be allowed to fashion his own team via the transfer window. We must not keep chopping and changing managers. This is the purest horse manure. A good manager gets the best out of what he's got; Arteta clearly doesn't. Why go through another season of this on the offchance that he's a very slow learner? Yes, yes, come in Man U and Spurs fans, I feel your ambivalence too.
Chad

Chad wrote:
If I were the owner of an under performing Premier League giant, I would give Jeff Shi a call and make him an offer he can’t refuse.

(And I wouldn’t object if he brought Nuno with him.)

That still stands.

Arsenal are in dire need but I don’t see their hierarchy going down that route.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 116, 117, 118 ... 258, 259, 260  Next

Jump to:  
Page 117 of 260

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in