MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Importance of Sport (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 260, 261, 262  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

The national anthem does the job quite effectively I thought
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Mick Harper wrote:
I do the jokes round here. Though not for a week as I am off on my hols.

While the cat's away, the mice can play.

I bought Mick a ticket to the First Flat Earth Conference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ylYvNnP1rg
Boreades

Mick Harper wrote:
ODI Scotland vs England

Scotsmen are qualified for England under the Mike Denness rule. Just saying.

How about the Irish cricket team?

Both are surprising the English commentators with their skills. What the English haven't realised is that their Gaelic cousins honed their skills playing far more lethal games, Shinty and Hurling.

More like blood sports than cricket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VoveOBQFjA
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNi1fph5QNg
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

What's all this pigswill about momentum? A ridiculous concept. Boil your head, Dion Dublin. You go play Brazil rather than Switzerland and see how far your silly momentum gets you. Plus it means we can play the reserve team with a clear conscience. Of course Belgium will do the same and we'll win but at least we'll have a rested team when we play Brazil then Argentina and then Belgium again in the final. But so will they of course. Yes, true, but aren't you forgetting something? We'll have the momentum of having won all our matches.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Momentum.

If Kane scores and he is not injured.... I reckon England's odds will shorten whether they narrowly win lose or draw.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Momentum

If Kane is rested he won't be injured. His 'momentum' is irrelevant in the overall situation, far too marginal. England's odds will shorten if they lose, they will lengthen if they win. The narrowness of the result is immaterial unless a full strength England win or lose by a considerable margin to a full strength Belgium and then only if it is observed that both sides are trying to their uttermost, an extremely unlikely eventuality.

Even Gareth Southgate is not this much of a boy scout, and even if he is, his players aren't.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

A parallel situation arose in 2010. England were playing Slovenia in the last group match needing a win to go through. When they went one-up they started playing ultra-cautiously to hang on to the lead, a strategy unanimously endorsed by pundits, players and manager. I was screaming at the screen to go for the second goal that would have meant avoiding Germany in the next round.

Only I understood that short term risks should be taken in the pursuit of long term goals. Of course I wouldn't be the one that got slaughtered if Slovenia had equalised and we went out straightaway rather than in three days time, but I was still correct.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

At first I preferred Japan and Brazil. Japan haven't beaten us since 1942 and we could clog Neymar off the park à la Pelé in 1966. But when Belgium scored it was instantly clear that Colombia and Switzerland was better. Poor Belgium, they could have been contenders. Let down by their silver generation.
Grant

This was actually a master class by Southgate. First he steered England into the weaker side of the draw (and Mick is right about the momentum nonsense) and second he learned so much in the game. For a start he learned that Rashford is not the answer to his prayers, and he learned how bad our defenders are. He also boosted team morale now everyone has had a game.
Poor Martinez will be hammered after they lose to Brazil
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Grant wrote:
This was actually a master class by Southgate.

I think you will find that he merely followed Mick's advice. Net result we now face the 16th Best team in the world as opposed to the 61st.....
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I didn't like to say since I've been lambasted for objecting over-vociferously to saloon bar opinions. You are of course right but Belgium and England have slightly different objectives. We count success as 'the semis' -- and that surely means Columbia and Sweden/Switzerland, accepting the risk of Columbia vis à vis Japan, though in passing I ought to point out that Sweden is something of an English bogey team. Belgium want to win it all so Japan and Brazil is an acceptable route. Although it is true that Martinez would probably have preferred our route, all things being equal, we wanted to lose more than they did.

As to Grant's other tired nostrums
1. Southgate, like the whole world, already knew about Rashford.
2. The first choice defence has been reasonably sturdy. We always develop unnecessary alarums about our defenders because of the palpitation factor, ignoring that all defences of all teams are breached some of the time. It is in the nature of football.
3. Team morale has not been enhanced now that the other half know for certain sure they are the other half.
4. Martinez will not be slaughtered after losing to Brazil. Belgians are well used to being overrun by larger powers, though admittedly this will be the first time they are themselves one of the larger powers.
Boreades

Good news chaps!

The expert forecasters at UBS have been busy deploying their expertise at forecasting the results of the World Cup 2018.

UBS deployed a team of 18 analysts and editors, and ran a computer simulation of the tournament 10,000 times, in an effort to predict the likely winner of the tournament.

And the results are ...

Whoops!

Let's not be too harsh? They've clearly improved their forecasting abilities. In 2014 UBS said Brazil would win.

Oh dear. Maybe it's just bad luck and they're better at economic forecasting?

The experts at UBS forecast an economic crash for the UK and an exodus from the City if we voted to Leave the EU, threatening to move 1,000 jobs out of the country as a result of Brexit. It turned out there was no crash and the bank u-turned on its Brexodus scaremongering.

Oh dear. Maybe it's just bad luck
Mick Harper
Site Admin

An interesting table nonetheless. It seems to follow the bookies fairly precisely except for England being placed so mysteriously high. They were dead right there -- with Spain out, we've got a free passage to the final. Why is Italy there? Pretty in pink but not actually a participant. The Union Bank of Switzerland was virtuously realistic about Switzerland's chances.

By the by, you Brexiteers should not be too gung ho about our prospects. It may be you ain't seen nothing yet.
Boreades

For Sale: One England Penalty Monkey

Has had a good home on the back of the England Football Team for many years. Due to a change in circumstances, it is no longer required at this home. All suggestions for a suitable new home are welcome.
Boreades

Mick Harper wrote:
Why is Italy there? Pretty in pink but not actually a participant.

I checked with my Financial Director.

Would you believe it? The UBS Gnomes of Zurich actually have a sense of humour. (A bit like the gnomes in Harry Potter promising to get Harry into Gringotts Bank. They just carefully didn't promise to get him out. So it goes with luring financial investors into the fold.)

Anyway, I digress, it's actually a sly reference to "The Hand of God". In banking circles, it doesn't mean Maradona and Argentina 1986. It means the Vatican Bank.

Be careful out there, especially around Blackfriars Bridge.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 260, 261, 262  Next

Jump to:  
Page 68 of 262

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in