MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Echoes of the Ice Age (Pre-History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Is this the old equator? If so, it may not have been 10,000 years ago. More like 2000.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Of interest to us SLOTtians but not a very good example of the genre generally. Perhaps you should get the book about the 10081 cataclysm he extols and fillet it for nuggets. These points did occur to me

1. His line seemed to cross Dilmun, reputedly the site of the Garden of Eden, but he didn't mention it (know about it?). I mention it because it will turn up in a First Dark Age segment due soon.

2. The best bit was at the end when he reproduced the Great Pyramid Nazca - Giza - Former North Pole. But a) he spoiled the whole effect by getting bogged down in quite unnecessary statistics and b) I suspect it was this that dictated the site of the Old North Pole in the first place!

3. Nobody today (or indeed ever as far as I know) has attached any significance to the Equator at all. Slightly odd and something that had never occurred to me before.
Ishmael

Szechuan, Chihuahuan, Sechura.

Do all these deserts actually have the same name?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This is possible since they are (were) settled by the same people. Find out what the word for desert is in Mongolian, Aztec and Inca (or equivalent).
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Desert in Quechua (Inca) is chʼin pacha.
[Sechura in Peru should be a Quechuan word but 'dry' is seco in Spanish, seche in French, though the apparent overlap is probably not significant. ]

Aztec dictionary gives two words for desert: tlauakapanixtlauak and xalyukatlan.

Mongolian has fourteen entries under 'desert', all similar but differing (but including 'fugitive, deserter', which I omitted)

1. cöl [adjective] meaning 'desert, desolate place, deserted, uninhabited'
2. cölme [geography] meaning 'desert country'
3. egerm-e [nomad geography] meaning 'open plain, desert, steppe'
4. elcim-e [geography] meaning 'desert steppe'
5. melceim-e [geography] meaning 'wasteland, deserted place, open without obstruction'
6. oghurcagh [adjective] meaning 'isolated, deserted, abdandoned'
7. shala [geography] meaning 'waterless desert country'

The third entry is truly unexpected. The 'Greek eremos' doesn't hold water.
Ishmael

Hatty wrote:
Quechua (Inca)

It looks to me like the word for Inca is the word most closely related to all of these!
Hatty
Site Admin

Quechua is the name the Spanish used, no-one seems to know what the local people called their language. The meaning is suggested as 'temperate valley' which if correct is rather the opposite of desert

There is a possibility that the name Quechua was derived from *qiĉ.wa, the native word which originally meant the "temperate valley" altitude ecological zone in the Andes (suitable for maize cultivation) and to its inhabitants

Who knows, it could just be 'over there'.

Desert is a strange word, with the sense of an abandoned or isolated place (sometimes with moral disapproval as in 'just deserts'), not necessarily a waterless region. A monkish disert indicated a withdrawing from society [the etymology for disert gives 'eloquent' which suggests isolation i.e. e(x)-locus]
Ishmael

I have spoken already of the uncanny parallels between the place names associated with Taiwan, Tijuana, and Tiwanaku (and the geographicl relationships between these sites that emerge only when the pole is shifted).

Recently, I have been looking at another place name.

Sacsayhuaman

The second half of this word looks a lot like "Human" (or maybe "Home?"). But it is the first half to which I wish to draw your attention. Sacsay.

The symbol "y" is associated, in some western alphabets, with the phonetic sound we represent today with "n."

Is it possible that Sacsay is "Saxon?"
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Looks more like Szechuan in China. Also known for its addiction to chili peppers.
Ishmael

Mick Harper wrote:
Looks more like Szechuan in China. Also known for its addiction to chili peppers.

Wow! There you have it! The same name shows up again.
    Szechuan
    Chihuahuan
    Sacsayhuaman
How did I miss it??
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

I see all of these as these as variants of schach, including saxon.

Just saying.... not expecting anybody to agree.
Ishmael

Schach = Chess! Fascinating!

A grid. Like lines of longitude and latitude. He he he.... very nice.

And Saxon = Szechuan. Yes. I can see that. And that connects it to all the others as well.

Fascinating indeed.
Ishmael

Funny how Chess looks like Schach written backwards.
Ishmael

The German word for Chess is Schachspiels.

Shakespeare?
Hatty
Site Admin

A (repeat) David Attenborough documentary on animals in the Himalayas seems to indicate there are as many animal species in the mountains as on the African plains. In fact he mentioned that the Himalayas are on the same latitude as North Africa (not that he seemed to think these two features, the highest mountain range and the largest ex-shallow sea, are related).

One of the species is a snake whose nearest relative he says is in America. The snake doesn't freeze because it inhabits pools warmed by volcanic activity. It's one of a kind. Wiki simply says "No subspecies are currently recognised".

No-one knows how it got to the Himalayas, presumably before the Pacific sea-level suddenly fell.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Jump to:  
Page 9 of 9

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in